HB Lloyd PMac Blakey
    C Heeney Mills Florent
    HF Gulden McDonald Hayward
    F Ladhams Buddy Papley
    Foll Hickey Warner Parker
    Int JPK JMac Campbell Rowbotton
    Med Sub Wicks
    Emerg Stephens Amartey Fox Bell

With another preseason under the belts of Logan, Campbell and Gulden and the addition of Ladhams, I'd say this team is arguably stronger than the side that fronted up to GWS in the final, even without he who shall not be mentioned and Hewett.

Suspended by the MRP
    We dont have P Mccartin yet . Fox in for now . Swap Rowbottom for Wicks and you have a solid team but defence is a worry

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    We dont have P Mccartin yet . Fox in for now . Swap Rowbottom for Wicks and you have a solid team but defence is a worry
    Sorry TB- we can’t have Fox at FB- he is simply not big enough for the monster forwards. Pelican preferred and maybe Robbie to the bench. Re: Rowbottom- let’s see how he goes in pre- season as I for one was disappointed in Wicks in his last 6 or so games. By the same token, your pet Rowy wasn’t too hot either!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Sorry TB- we can’t have Fox at FB- he is simply not big enough for the monster forwards. Pelican preferred and maybe Robbie to the bench. Re: Rowbottom- let’s see how he goes in pre- season as I for one was disappointed in Wicks in his last 6 or so games. By the same token, your pet Rowy wasn’t too hot either!
    No comment other than to say who cares about the last 6 games for a young player, Wicks is young and will straighten out his consistency , and im saying this as a skeptic

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I knew you would say drop Rowbottom for Wicks but I understand your reasoning.
    Re PMac, yes he's not in yet and may not be. If not, Fox, Melican, Gould or BOC with left field options of Amartey or Reid. The third key defender is definitely a very open position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I knew you would say drop Rowbottom for Wicks but I understand your reasoning.
    Re PMac, yes he's not in yet and may not be. If not, Fox, Melican, Gould or BOC with left field options of Amartey or Reid. The third key defender is definitely a very open position.
    Wicks played every game in 2021 as a 21 year old. I think that was a great effort and reflects his value to the side in the eyes of our coaches. I think he will continue to improve on the offensive side of his game (including goal kicking I hope!) and I am very glad that he re-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Wicks played every game in 2021 as a 21 year old. I think that was a great effort and reflects his value to the side in the eyes of our coaches. I think he will continue to improve on the offensive side of his game (including goal kicking I hope!) and I am very glad that he re-signed.
    A few things were mentioned about Wicks' defensive game, not by you but the chap you answered. He was very effective I think. In Fact he was not effective against teams who have two fast defenders giving them drive. Why? Because opposition targeted Papley. It started with Essendon. They stuck Hind on Paps. Wicks took Guelfi which was probably a mistake.

Paps, while a great small forward, goal kicker and attacking beast, is not the best defensive player in the comp. He used to be great but some of his efforts in the last few years have been extremely lazy. Opposition coaches have noticed and now they play their most dangerous attacking weapon at HB on him to run off and create. In the Essendon game Wicks was literally chasing two blokes.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    A few things were mentioned about Wicks' defensive game, not by you but the chap you answered. He was very effective I think. In Fact he was not effective against teams who have two fast defenders giving them drive. Why? Because opposition targeted Papley. It started with Essendon. They stuck Hind on Paps. Wicks took Guelfi which was probably a mistake.

Paps, while a great small forward, goal kicker and attacking beast, is not the best defensive player in the comp. He used to be great but some of his efforts in the last few years have been extremely lazy. Opposition coaches have noticed and now they play their most dangerous attacking weapon at HB on him to run off and create. In the Essendon game Wicks was literally chasing two blokes.

I’m sorry but I don’t agree. A forward’s job first and foremost is to score or assist in scoring. His secondary job is to help in defence if his team needs this. With Paps, he always gets one of the best defenders and as long as he kicks and/or assists in a bagful, I don’t care if his man runs off him.

I appreciate Wicks’ s defensive play, but wish he would impact more with scoring- scoreboard pressure is the best pressure you can exert on your opposition!

I’m sorry but I don’t agree. A forward’s job first and foremost is to score or assist in scoring. His secondary job is to help in defence if his team needs this. With Paps, he always gets one of the best defenders and as long as he kicks and/or assists in a bagful, I don’t care if his man runs off him.

I appreciate Wicks’ s defensive play, but wish he would impact more with scoring- scoreboard pressure is the best pressure you can exert on your opposition!
    Agree with scoreboard pressure. Disagree about forward pressure. Creating forward pressure forces the opposition into errors or just banging long. This gives our players up the ground chances to intercept. By doing this forwards get more opportunity at goal without having to win the ball back out of the back line and therefore being under pressure.

Suspended by the MRP

Maybe its his pressure and defensive play that is allowing others to score !

Like some have suggested, I started re-watching games from this season. I've only just finished Round 1 v Brisbane. Wicks was tremendous offensively. He kicked 2 great goals. The second, a snap shot on the run from just inside 50; one of the goals of the year.

Cyril was a great defensive forward and set up a lot of his offense by pressure and great tackling. Wicks plays with confidence. Sometimes overconfidence. He's like Papley in that respect. When he has the ball in range of goal, he feels he can kick it. He had a number of close misses this year. I think Wicks is more than just a defensive forward.

It was fun watching the game. Gulden had a spectacular debut. Logan kicked 3. Mills and Heeney were stars. Rowbottom was injured in the 1st quarter but played out the game and played very well. No Franklin. No Hayward. No Jmac. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    B Cunningham TMac Rampe
    HB Lloyd PMac Blakey
    C Heeney Mills Florent
    HF Gulden McDonald Hayward
    F Ladhams Buddy Papley
    Foll Hickey Warner Parker
    Int JPK JMac Campbell Rowbotton
    Med Sub Wicks
    Emerg Stephens Amartey Fox Bell

With another preseason under the belts of Logan, Campbell and Gulden and the addition of Ladhams, I'd say this team is arguably stronger than the side that fronted up to GWS in the final, even without he who shall not be mentioned and Hewett.
    Really like that team. Well done. Would start J-Mac on a wing instead of Florent.

Would like Campbell, J-Mac and Blakey in the backline for long periods so I can watch the speed, daring, run and carry and counter attack.

I would back Paddy to be the FB plan.

That’s not to mention if a draft pick has a brilliant pre-season demanded selection.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast