Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: comings and goings for Season 2022

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    Such a great appointment for uts. 51 points ex afl staff in club and making a mockery of point system

Good luck. And well done on targeting local clubs for their junior players for money

U need more than buying a culture!
    In no way associated with UTS, 5year!!! Just saw their signings on social media channels and heard Kanakis is moving for work up from Melbourne. So well in their right to get his services as opposed to going to one of the only 3 clubs that are any chance of winning Prem Div.

Within right to go there but… the leg up they get compared to other clubs is a joke.

If they had same points at penno, st George, manly would it be the same with recruitment.

They have more points to play around with .

It’s a system which doesn’t pass pub test, especially when ex afl staff are in there who pushed for the system in the first place and advocated heavily for it and supported uTs getting support.

We won’t change the rules on here but calling it out still needs to happen.

anyway everyone stay safe during Xmas, hopefully all get to spend it with family’s , and let’s hope this covid settles and we do learn to live with it and we can return to a little normality next year.

Triple vaxed already waiting for 4th dose to make sure footy comes back

Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    Within right to go there but… the leg up they get compared to other clubs is a joke.
    If they had same points at penno, st George, manly would it be the same with recruitment.
    They have more points to play around with .
    It’s a system which doesn’t pass pub test, especially when ex afl staff are in there who pushed for the system in the first place and advocated heavily for it and supported uTs getting support.
    We won’t change the rules on here but calling it out still needs to happen.
    UTS have been 7th, last and last the previous 3 seasons. If high points allow them to recruit players it is doing exactly what is it meant to do. And who cares if an ex Syd AFL employee has taken an interest in them, its good for the game. I am sure if he was at your club you would be celebrating his connections and energy.

Though in saying the above I don't believe interstate recruits will help UTS until they have a core group of long term local players - players who turn up to each preseason session to create a club culture. The problems with interstate recruits is that they are here for work, and footy isn't their priority and in general they go "home".

Good luck to UTS for positive recruiting and hopefully higher points will help. As Westy said if these players didn't go to UTS they would have gone to Syd Uni, Easts or North Shore - making the strongest teams stronger. Current experience is that interstate players who live in or near the City don't travel to St George, Manly, Penno or East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    UTS have been 7th, last and last the previous 3 seasons. If high points allow them to recruit players it is doing exactly what is it meant to do. And who cares if an ex Syd AFL employee has taken an interest in them, its good for the game. I am sure if he was at your club you would be celebrating his connections and energy.

Though in saying the above I don't believe interstate recruits will help UTS until they have a core group of long term local players - players who turn up to each preseason session to create a club culture. The problems with interstate recruits is that they are here for work, and footy isn't their priority and in general they go "home".

Good luck to UTS for positive recruiting and hopefully higher points will help. As Westy said if these players didn't go to UTS they would have gone to Syd Uni, Easts or North Shore - making the strongest teams stronger. Current experience is that interstate players who live in or near the City don't travel to St George, Manly, Penno or East Coast.
    As an outsider looking in , I can see what the Sydney AFL is trying to do. Many clubs have a much stronger junior pipeline into their system but UTS effectively has none from what I can see.
    Who are the feeder clubs for UTS ?

UTS squatters started their club in other clubs back yard. What gives them the right to have their feeder clubs. Yes it is now a problem for EastUNSW, Balmain, SydUni, West and Maroubra that they will loose their juniors.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I meant to start with - As an outsider looking in !

Quote Originally Posted by Clubman View Post
    UTS squatters started their club in other clubs back yard. What gives them the right to have their feeder clubs. Yes it is now a problem for EastUNSW, Balmain, SydUni, West and Maroubra that they will loose their juniors. Sorry I meant to start with - As an outsider looking in !
    Clubman .. why the hate for UTS? A couple of comments

* Where would their 8+ teams go if there were not in the comp?
    * They are 10 years older than Randwick / Maroubra....... will you hate Randwick if they do a Manly and get to Prems one day?
    * Why Squatters ... surely when Easts merged with UNSW and they choose Village Green they relinquished Trumper?
    * Why is Newtown not in your gun... they are well run and could be a strong club in coming years.
    * Finally I don't know of many forfeits for the City Clubs... there is an argument that the East and particularly the lower North Shore needs another club.

Clubman ... it's easy to "hate" vs grow AFL in Sydney. you seem to have lots of hate........

Quote Originally Posted by Clubman View Post
    UTS squatters started their club in other clubs back yard. What gives them the right to have their feeder clubs. Yes it is now a problem for EastUNSW, Balmain, SydUni, West and Maroubra that they will loose their juniors.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I meant to start with - As an outsider looking in !
    Clearly your not an outsider looking in from your quite passionate dislike of UTS.

I only called myself an "outsider" in so far as I dont have any affiliation for any one club nor any history in how things have evolved but if they league doesnt try something then you have a comp that will forever and a day be stuck with 4-6 teams with any level of strength. If the prems level comp is to grow and develop and become a more attractive pathway (as opposed to talent leaving for interstate) it needs at least ten teams of prems quality. The same problems exist in the central coast/newcastle black diamond league - year after year its the same 3/4 teams at the top and everyone else is playing to not take the wooden spoon. Good new players to the area immediately head to the best teams and the cycle continues.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    As an outsider looking in , I can see what the Sydney AFL is trying to do. Many clubs have a much stronger junior pipeline into their system but UTS effectively has none from what I can see.
    Who are the feeder clubs for UTS ?
    May be changing a bit now they have an Under 19s team, but anecdotally the majority of UTS's list came from outside Sydney and joined the Bats when they moved here.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

UTS have the geographical advantage of being based around the Eastern Suburbs, yuppies move to Sydney they aren't unfortunately thinking about moving to Inner West. That's why Penno is so impressive as a perennial powerhouse as they have fostered a brilliant young list, culture makes people stay. North Shore people cross the bridge but are still prepared to commute across the bridge just to play Saturday arvo footy.

Anyone know where the updated list of player transfers is published? Usual spot on Sydneyafl.com.au hasn’t been updated since October.

Almost Football Legend
    Probably because they're not using SportsTG this season. Hopefully the new software allows for a listing of clearances.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Draw has been published for prems and 19s levels . Season start on April 2 - A bye for North Shore first week - what a shame we cant have a ten team competition at the very least at our premier competition level.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast