Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season begins

The one photo of Squizzy Taylor shows him to be in good shape!

I reckon competition for positions in our team will be intense, especially for the last 3-4. Maybe that's why Dawson left because he couldn't stand the heat 😂😂

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Only because the bites keep coming

No doubt we will have further moments of absurdity to come over the long pre-season ahead.
    It's not called the silly season for no reason.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Went down to training Monday morning around 930am. They had already started and were doing some straight line running. It was a big group with a lot of academy/vfl players integrated into the same sesssion as the senior guys. Seemed to be Blakey, Mills, Clarke, Melican and Amartey doing a lighter session on the far side.

Think they split into 3 groups for 2km. For the first group initially Fox established a reasonable gap, Stephens and Rankin had a clear gap in 2nd and everyone else was in a bunch together. Though in the last lap Rankin tired and dropped off, Stephens finished really strongly and made up some ground on Fox. And the bunch of players behind them started to spread out. It seemed Ronke and Gulden were finishing strongly. In the 2nd group CoR was way ahead of everyone else.

- Kicked the ball back and forth in threes

- Rotated through 3 skill stations
    Picking up a rolling ground ball and getting a handball away after being tackled in congestion.
    6 attackers working the ball past 5 defenders using kicks
    3 attackers running in a line drawing 2 defenders with sideways handballs before kicking to a leading player

- More skill stations
    Set up in a square with 2 defenders in the middle. Then kicking the ball to one of the other 3 points in the square
    6 attackers handballing past 5 defenders
    3 lanes of players handballing past 2 defenders in a tight space

- Set up in a large square, run and kick to the opposite diagonal. Two balls in motion.

- Attacking team structured with 4 backs 4 mids 4 forwards. They work the ball out with short kicks from defence. Then eventually kick long to a ruckman on halfway who taps it down. The attacking team reacts and attacks from the crumbed ball.

- Using a big wide open area of the field. The attacking team of 5 is set up in 3 wide lanes vs 6 defenders (2fwds-2mids-2backs). They work the ball past the defenders using movement and the width of the field.

- 12 attackers vs 9 defenders. Attacking team works the ball past the defending team with a focus on keeping their shape.

- Few players did some shuttle runs. 3 sets of 4x50m shuttles.

- At the end players were just kicking for goal. The rucks did some work with one of the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Went down to training Monday morning around 930am. They had already started and were doing some straight line running. It was a big group with a lot of academy/vfl players integrated into the same sesssion as the senior guys. Seemed to be Blakey, Mills, Clarke, Melican and Amartey doing a lighter session on the far side.

Think they split into 3 groups for 2km. For the first group initially Fox established a reasonable gap, Stephens and Rankin had a clear gap in 2nd and everyone else was in a bunch together. Though in the last lap Rankin tired and dropped off, Stephens finished really strongly and made up some ground on Fox. And the bunch of players behind them started to spread out. It seemed Ronke and Gulden were finishing strongly. In the 2nd group CoR was way ahead of everyone else.

- Kicked the ball back and forth in threes

- Rotated through 3 skill stations
    Picking up a rolling ground ball and getting a handball away after being tackled in congestion.
    6 attackers working the ball past 5 defenders using kicks
    3 attackers running in a line drawing 2 defenders with sideways handballs before kicking to a leading player

- More skill stations
    Set up in a square with 2 defenders in the middle. Then kicking the ball to one of the other 3 points in the square
    6 attackers handballing past 5 defenders
    3 lanes of players handballing past 2 defenders in a tight space

- Set up in a large square, run and kick to the opposite diagonal. Two balls in motion.

- Attacking team structured with 4 backs 4 mids 4 forwards. They work the ball out with short kicks from defence. Then eventually kick long to a ruckman on halfway who taps it down. The attacking team reacts and attacks from the crumbed ball.

- Using a big wide open area of the field. The attacking team of 5 is set up in 3 wide lanes vs 6 defenders (2fwds-2mids-2backs). They work the ball past the defenders using movement and the width of the field.

- 12 attackers vs 9 defenders. Attacking team works the ball past the defending team with a focus on keeping their shape.

- Few players did some shuttle runs. 3 sets of 4x50m shuttles.

- At the end players were just kicking for goal. The rucks did some work with one of the coaches.
    Fantastic, thanks for the update Really interesting to hear a bit more detail about early pre-season training. Interesting sounding attacking drills - I have zero understanding of what is the 'norm' in that regard, but it fits broadly with the way we tried to play last year in the way you describe those drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    It's not called the silly season for no reason.
    So very true..... I'm sure we will get many more classic nonsense comments before the (usually insert long and hot here - but not so sure this year) Summer is out!
    Last edited by mcs; 6th December 2021 at 09:32 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'm excited about how fit the boys look. Competition for midfield spots will be intense. I'm expecting a breakout year for Dylan Stephens. He is looking super fit and much stronger.

Suspended by the MRP
    Only because the bites keep coming

No doubt we will have further moments of absurdity to come over the long pre-season ahead.
    What are you on about , i said nothing absurd at all , made a few comments about the players that others have said the same about , and asked a question about 2 others who i thought might be injured or something , why do you have to turn everything into an argument , you say you dont like the nastiness but thats all you do even when i say something positive

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    What are you on about , i said nothing absurd at all , made a few comments about the players that others have said the same about , and asked a question about 2 others who i thought might be injured or something , why do you have to turn everything into an argument , you say you dont like the nastiness but thats all you do even when i say something positive
    Spot On.

Lol, check out @naismith10 Instagram post made this afternoon. Sam hasn’t given up on his playing career!

To tell the truth pre-season training does not rock my boat. As a player I was not too fond of it as the first thing we did was a 10,000 metre run. Then we did 10 X 100 metre sprints, 20 X 200 metre sprints, then airobic exercises. Gyms were not a big thing in those days, it was all about aerobic fitness and then after that the balls came out.

Bloody hell. I can remember being on Rathmines Oval until 7:30pm of we lost a match in the A grade. The reserves were struggling to get a team but the A's were very close to the top 4.

I believe the proof of the efficacy of pre-season training is in the games. The preseason games are for trying things. I hope they actually get to do that this season

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftone57; 7th December 2021 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Take a chill pill man!

The second part of the comment wasn't directed at you or your post - apologies if you interpreted it that way. It was meant as a general comment about the board itself (as per my follow up response to Thunder Shaker), and indeed a shot at my own sarcastic extrapolation on the original comment re: Parker and Hayward. Preseason always brings along many absurd posts, as we are all starved of footy to actually watch and comments invariably go down the rabbit warren to all sorts of strange places. I.e. we've had a running update on the amateur cricket career of a couple of out players for weeks on end ha. That was all I was referring to - I should have made it a separate comment to be exceedingly clear.

Stop looking for a fence in every post. Try looking for a gate instead - have a laugh, think to yourself that person is an idiot, and walk right on through.
    Last edited by mcs; 8th December 2021 at 10:54 AM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    To tell the truth pre-season training does not rock my boat. As a player I was not too fond of it as the first thing we did was a 10,000 metre run. Then we did 10 X 100 metre sprints, 20 X 200 metre sprints, then airobic exercises. Gyms were not a big thing in those days, it was all about aerobic fitness and then after that the balls came out.

Bloody hell. I can remember being on Rathmines Oval until 7:30pm of we lost a match in the A grade. The reserves were struggling to get a team but the A's were very close to the top 4.

I believe the proof of the efficacy of pre-season training is in the games. The preseason games are for trying things. I hope they actually get to do that this season

Beyond a complete lack of footballing (indeed same applies for most sports) ability, it is hearing about gruelling pre-season workouts like that which make me glad pursuing professional sport was never something I got anywhere near..... 10K run followed by sprints.... just kill me already!

Take a chill pill man!

The second part of the comment wasn't directed at you or your post - apologies if you interpreted it that way. It was meant as a general comment about the board itself (as per my follow up response to Thunder Shaker) - preseason always brings along many absurd posts, as we are all starved of footy to actually watch and comments invariably go down the rabbit warren to all sorts of strange places. I.e. we've had a running update on the amateur cricket career of a couple of out players for weeks on end ha. That was all I was referring to - I should have made it a separate comment to be exceedingly clear.
    I loathe this time of year. I am not a huge cricket fan. Footy is the only game I really love. Have played, footy, basketball, cricket, softball, volleyball, badminton, tennis, squash, athletics. Umpired and played mixed Netball. But as a sport to watch nothing beats Aussie Rules.

Pre-season is even harder for me now that I am nearly 6,000 kilometres away. There is a certain amount of disconnect. Social media and the news sites only give a certain amount of info. I used to love to have a look at training. Watch the ressies live. But can no longer do that. I am at the moment looking at replays of our 2021 matches.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast