Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want us to pick tonight???

Who do you want us to pick tonight???

Hi all, I know we already have a drafting thread (that goes off topic quite a bit!) but I wanted to start one for people on here that are real draft watchers/tragic's like myself that usually always have that one or 2 players that we really want the club to select (but usually never do...lol).

I'll start here with who I want us to pick tonight. While there are a few players I'd really love us to get (Matthew Johnson, Wanganeen-Milera, Josh Sinn, Darcy Wilmot) I will not say them as it is genuinely expected that none of them will be available with our first selection tonight post the Ladhams trade.

In most phantoms they are picking us to select Tom Brown who does look a really good player and solid pick but I don't necessarily want us to take him myself for one main reason... a strong go home factor! He is a Victorian lad (albeit played for the Murray Bushrangers) and the son of a former Geelong player. The cats are pretty well known as aggressive recruiters and I feel that they will come after him due to his family ties and if he shows good form after his first couple years.

Go home factor is strong when thinking of any draft selection, particularly after what we've just gone through with Dawson... but I'm selecting a Victorian anyway, a Vic Metro rep no less! I want us to pick..... Zac Taylor!

Now I know that there is a chance he may even be available with our 2nd pick but there's just something about him that I really like and feel we need so would hate to miss him! He's a ball winning mid who has great skills and footy smarts that reminds me a bit of Lachie Neale.

There are other's who I wouldn't mind either in Knevitt, Chesser and Sonsie but I really feel some real ball winning ability with some polish will add to our current mix of midfielders, hence my love of Taylor.

I'll go on the record to say that in years past I really wanted us to take Jy Simpkin and Caleb Serong who both were selected after our first picks in their particular drafts and both look like players we'd really love right now IMO.

I would love to hear your thoughts about who YOU want us to draft first tonight???

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Suspended by the MRP
    Someone good

Corey Warner and whatever for anyone else.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm struggling to get much enthused about any of the players in this year's draft (beyond the top handful who are out of our reach).

Wouldn't mind if we pick up Owens with our first pick - higher risk that a normal first round choice but I really like his midfield marking ability. I think that's what we're going to miss from Dawson more than his kicking, as we have a handful of other good, risk-taking kickers in our team. If a team wants to take some risks, move the ball quickly and unpredictably, I think you need the ability to win midfield marking contests. His name did come up in the AFL.com.au discussion with Beatson, but I'm not sure how the club would feel about nicking another club's academy player from under their nose, given the new lack of symmetry between the NG academies and the Northern academies.

Love to get Johnston... but not going to happen. I want a big inside midfielder with the first pick, so - Johnston, Erasmus and Callaghan will be gone. Probably at our pick there will be Howes or Knevitt. I really like the look of Knevitt. He is tall, a great contested mark and did very well at the combine. His kicking is very mediocre, but if you want someone good at that pick they're going to have deficiencies. Alot of upside to him.

The other one is Josh Sinn... if he slides. He is linked to going to Port at 14. Not as big as the other guys mentioned, by excellent disposal by foot and big enough. Probably as close to a Dawson replacement that we'll see.

Goater is the other one who might fall to us, he's a favorite amongst the phantom drafters.

Van Rooyen if they go KP.

Wanganeen-Milera will be a good player, but won't get to our pick.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Corey Warner and whatever for anyone else.
    Most Phantom Draft's I saw had him going early 40's, so I thought awesome - we could get him for 39. The ESPN (Knightmare) draft has him going to Freo at 21.

His vision looks really good. Composed and a good kick.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'm struggling to get much enthused about any of the players in this year's draft (beyond the top handful who are out of our reach).

Wouldn't mind if we pick up Owens with our first pick - higher risk that a normal first round choice but I really like his midfield marking ability. I think that's what we're going to miss from Dawson more than his kicking, as we have a handful of other good, risk-taking kickers in our team. If a team wants to take some risks, move the ball quickly and unpredictably, I think you need the ability to win midfield marking contests. His name did come up in the AFL.com.au discussion with Beatson, but I'm not sure how the club would feel about nicking another club's academy player from under their nose, given the new lack of symmetry between the NG academies and the Northern academies.
    An astute observation on Jordan's marking, Liz. I hadn't thought of it before (perhaps because I'm still in the denial stage and refusing to think about it?), but I fear you're right and it's going to hurt us- Jordan provided a bail out option marking target for our defenders pretty frequently over the past year.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Draper. Then Alleer. Then Sheldrick. Then Voss late, and Anderson as a rookie. But it depends who's available and I keep changing my mind anyway. Anyway, I'll be rapt if we get those I've listed. Would be a good mix too. Not adding any pace but we've already got a fair bit: Blakey, JMac, Florent, Warner, Campbell, Stephens.

Arlo Draper Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Also, love to get Leek Alleer with the second pick.

Senior Player
    I would be happy with Alleer, Warner, Conway and Anderson ending up on our list with our current picks.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Good call Liz, will be an interesting one as he is rated around the mark for our first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I would be happy with Alleer, Warner, Conway and Anderson ending up on our list with our current picks.
    Yes I was really keen on Alleer too a few weeks ago, even wanting us to use our top pick on him. But with the news that we are almost certainly signing up Paddy McCartin, and the feeling he'll be there in defence in round 1 (hopefully), I now prefer us to draft a mid with our 1st pick.

Would be more than happy to get him at our next pick though if he's still there as he looks a beauty!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast