Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Fixture

2022 Fixture

Interesting to read that the AFL is considering all Vic teams play each other in R1 next season. I assume then that all the non Vic teams will play in local derbies? This is an idea I've had for years now to enable all fans to go & watch their teams live in R1. I think this should be a seasonal R1 fixturing.

The AFL is considering us to play our first 2 rounds in Sydney so Buddy can kick his 1000th goal in front of home fans.

AFL fixture 2022: Round 1 fixture, five all-Victorian games to open season, Fixture whispers, release, date, latest news

My other fixturing ideas is for the first 17 rounds to be set, allowing each teams to play each other once. The remaining 5 rounds to be floating fixture and have formula based on ladder positions so that each team have same relative draw difficulty running into the finals. This provides a fairer fixturing equalibirium in determining final top 8 positions (and spoon).

I also would like to see the abolishment of the pre-finals bye and for a Super Saturday R22, to fixture as many games as possible on the Saturday (along with Thursday & Friday night games), avoiding Sunday games & giving finalists at least a 7 day break heading into the finals the following week.

If AFLPA are still persistent of having a mid season bye, maybe it could be slotted after R17 to allow fans (and teams) to make their travel plans for the remaining 5 floated rounds.

Rd 1 at the Palace of Barry against the plastics.

Least that gives us 2 Sydney based games to begin with.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

We are long overdue to return to our spiritual home, so I couldn't be happier with the round 1 fixture at the grand old lady..

Senior Player
    Hmmm, opening round at whatever you want to call it this year stadium. Don't mind the very occasional Saturday game at the 'Bush. Certainly is easier to get to for us mountain folk.

This fixture falls on my (significant) birthday. A win over the Giants and a handful from Bud would be the ideal way to see it in.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

4 in Round 1 would surely ensure the 1,000th the following week at the SCG

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    If AFLPA are still persistent of having a mid season bye, maybe it could be slotted after R17 to allow fans (and teams) to make their travel plans for the remaining 5 floated rounds.
    The mid-season bye exists to give players a break in the middle of the season.

The mid-season bye was introduced in the old VFL in 1980. It has been a feature ever since, except in seasons that had byes. The 1980 season had a weekend with no matches, various kinds of split rounds from 1981, and the AFL had three rounds with byes from 2012. This break has generally been between rounds 11 and 14.

Round 17 would be too late in the season. Leaving it until after round 17 means players play 17 matches before having a break. Players can accumulate little niggling injuries over time, and the break allows some additional recovery time from these injuries.

Instead of a break after round 17, or three weeks in a row with byes, the AFL should consider returning to the 1980 model of a weekend without any matches after round 11 or round 12. That weekend could be used to promote local football and raise funds for local clubs. Local leagues could schedule their rivalry rounds for that weekend, and telecasts could include highlights of local football.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

The mid-season bye was introduced in the old VFL in 1980. It has been a feature ever since, except in seasons that had byes. The 1980 season had a weekend with no matches, various kinds of split rounds from 1981, and the AFL had three rounds with byes from 2012. This break has generally been between rounds 11 and 14.

Round 17 would be too late in the season. Leaving it until after round 17 means players play 17 matches before having a break. Players can accumulate little niggling injuries over time, and the break allows some additional recovery time from these injuries.

Instead of a break after round 17, or three weeks in a row with byes, the AFL should consider returning to the 1980 model of a weekend without any matches after round 11 or round 12. That weekend could be used to promote local football and raise funds for local clubs. Local leagues could schedule their rivalry rounds for that weekend, and telecasts could include highlights of local football.
    Isn't it driven by the AFLPA as well wanting two byes during a season? Hence why we ended up with the frankly bizarre pre-finals bye.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Thanks TS for recalling the evolvement of the bye rounds over the years, but IIRC the bye rounds in the VFL days was fixtured to play State Of Origin footy? I remember in the early 70's it was mandatory for each of the 12 VFL clubs to have 2 players selected in the squad rather than best outright. The SOO games were eventually played midweek but I digress......Agree with MCS that it was AFLPA's instistence of having 2 byes a season which led to the pre-finals bye fiasco, along with trend of finalists resting alot of their players in R22.

Agree from a players perspective that R17 might be late in the season to get a rest, but my counter argument to that is teams were already resting "managing" players during the season even with the byes, to have them fresh as possible come finals. In this scenario having bye after R17 would be ideal. However my thinking was to implement it (if at all) to help make the floating fixture for the final 5 rounds more workable.

My preference is for no bye rounds at all.......it introduces too many issues for my liking.
    Last edited by KSAS; 7th December 2021 at 11:27 AM.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Agree from a players perspective that R17 might be late in the season to get a rest, but my counter argument to that is teams were already resting "managing" players during the season even with the byes, to have them fresh as possible come finals. In this scenario having bye after R17 would be ideal. However my thinking was to implement it (if at all) to help make the floating fixture for the final 5 rounds more workable.

My preference is for no bye rounds at all.......it introduces too many issues for my liking.
    The players need a mid-season break, if for no other reason than allowing them a few days of R&R with the folks.

The bye before the finals is more problematic, mostly because it creates a weekend with no football. It seems silly that the AFL would accept a weekend without football before the finals, but not in the middle of the year.

If this pre-finals bye is to be retained, it can be reworked as follows:
    1. Floating fixture with the games of the final round over two weekends. Week 1 - teams competing for a finals place. Week 2 - the other sides. This gives a rest for the finalists but doesn't have a football vacuum. The downside is the matches in the last week would not be very interesting.
    2. Reinstate an old finals tradition from the final-four days where elimination finals were played in week 1 of the finals. This is why the final four had a first semi-final and a second semi-final - the first semi-final was played in the first week of the finals, and the second semi-final was played in the second week. In this version, the finals go for five weeks, the two elimination finals are played in week 1, the two qualifying finals are played in week 2, and so on. The only issue here is the elimination finalists don't get an immediate break, but the winners of the elimination finals get a break in week 2.

I prefer option 2.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Suspended by the MRP
    How can anyone not want the bye , look at what it did to our season this yr

Wees and Poos away on Anzac Day at Launceston. Must have wanted to let us celebrate a decade since that magnificent win against them down there by doing it again.

Count me in for a nice long weekend away down there!

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Wees and Poos away on Anzac Day at Launceston. Must have wanted to let us celebrate a decade since that magnificent win against them down there by doing it again.

Count me in for a nice long weekend away down there!

Was it also the year we completed the rare grand slam of recording wins in every state & territory (ACT)?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast