Thread: Umpiring and free kicks

Senior Player

Umpiring and free kicks

What happened to the umpiring thread?

The AFL free kick ladder of the last five years

Collingwood and then the Bulldogs have had the best differential since 2017.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    What happened to the umpiring thread?

The AFL free kick ladder of the last five years

Collingwood and then the Bulldogs have had the best differential since 2017.
    Why didn't they do last six years and include the 2016 season, that would have the Dogs on top, grrrrrr

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Why didn't they do last six years and include the 2016 season, that would have the Dogs on top, grrrrrr
    Absolutely! Collingwood had a positive differential of 39 in 2016, the Poodles had a positive differential of 112 !

If you go back to 2016, the Fairypuppies are well and truly on top of the ladder!

Is it meant to be even?

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Is it meant to be even?
    Over the long haul, it absolutely should be, more or less.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Over the long haul, it absolutely should be, more or less.
    +1

Is it meant to be even?
    Possibly not, but it's not meant to be that uneven, either. The Poodles have had a dream run for a number of years.

Is it meant to be even?
    No. The rules should be applied consistently but this doesn't mean there should be the same numbers with different teams and different individuals. If a player, or a team, consistently chooses to infringe (for whatever reason) then obviously you would expect them to be penalised more.

Some teams and individuals may choose to play more 'on the edge' a la Toby Greene and then they get more penalties - nobody would suggest that isn't appropriate, would they?

The Swans aren't dirty but I think our game style and techniques with and without the ball compared to other teams is a more likely explanation accounts for the free kick differential over a period of time than an umpire conspiracy. I don't discount the affirmation bias umpires get with home games, especially with more rabid crowds, but I don't think that accounts for the Bulldogs favourable differential.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Season stats.

Bulldogs way way way out front.

We are equal 13th

The 2022 Free Kick Ladder after Round 20

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Season stats.

Bulldogs way way way out front.

We are equal 13th

The 2022 Free Kick Ladder after Round 20
    Unfortunately, no surprises there.

When I've watched the Bulldogs, I've always felt that most of the free kicks they receive are there. Some are a bit iffy, but most of them are there. The huge advantage for them is that they get away with murder and the figures showing that they have given away the lowest number of free kicks this season verify that. They get free kicks that their opponents don't and especially on the forward line. I know I should've moved on from the 2016 GF but, till my dying day, I'll never understand how they were deemed to have broken the rules only 8 times in a full game of football.