Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans games of the past

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    There are other games in my 60 years of loving the Swans that I remember more fondly - for example, beating Geelong at the Lake Oval in 1973 to end a 29 game losing streak - but I consider that performance against Port in the 2003 QF to be greatest ever win. (Premierships aside, of course!)
    It's certainly in the running. The 2006 QF against West Coast, in Perth, is another contender. I remember sitting at home watching that game, thinking that the Swans were playing pretty well but that the Eagles' midfield was probably going to be just a tiny bit too good for us on their home turf. It was a high quality match and a remarkable victory, in the end, to our boys.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's certainly in the running. The 2006 QF against West Coast, in Perth, is another contender. I remember sitting at home watching that game, thinking that the Swans were playing pretty well but that the Eagles' midfield was probably going to be just a tiny bit too good for us on their home turf. It was a high quality match and a remarkable victory, in the end, to our boys.
    The '06 QF is very close to my all time favourite game too liz. I reckon the last goal is in my top 5 goals of all time also. Beautiful end-to-end play under pressure with a goal celebration to remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotX...nel=Ellismedia

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    The '06 QF is very close to my all time favourite game too liz. I reckon the last goal is in my top 5 goals of all time also. Beautiful end-to-end play under pressure with a goal celebration to remember.

Michael O'Loughlin v West Coast 2006, coast to coast play to win the game - YouTube
    Geez that's good to watch! Thanks for the link Goal Sneak.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I still have a very soft spot for the last home and away game in 1996, atrocious weather but by then end of the game everyone was so happy.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    There are other games in my 60 years of loving the Swans that I remember more fondly - for example, beating Geelong at the Lake Oval in 1973 to end a 29 game losing streak - but I consider that performance against Port in the 2003 QF to be greatest ever win. (Premierships aside, of course!)
    Agree about QF 2003. Defining win that validated the Bloods culture and set up the next decade. Two other great wins were the 2005 and 2016 Preliminary finals at the MCG. In the latter game, we peaked as a team. Unfortunately, it was a week too early although umps didn't help in the GF. Mills and McVeigh shouldn't have played in that game IMO.

Senior Player
    After rewatching the Micky O goal against West Coast, I came across his AFL Hall of Fame entry video. Great man.

Australian Football Hall of Fame: Michael O'Loughlin - YouTube

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    The best example of Melbourne footy media idiocy is that the ‘this is the year Carlton will jump into contention’ prediction has been made for about 10 years straight. And it’ll be made again this year.
    Note to self: Do NOT pick Carlton to make the finals until they have actually done so. (Carlton was one of the three non-finalists from 2020 that I predicted would be finalists in 2021. Lesson learnt.)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Back on the Port 2003
    Game - onfield after the game BBB said that everyone should “get on Goodesy for the Brownlow” because he had played such a great game. Turned out to be a very prophetic tip, but, of course, finals don’t count for Charlie 🤣

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Some good games mentioned in here.

Also wanna single out the game at Geelong v Geelong in 2011. It was the week McVeigh’s daughter had died. The Cats were at their peak and hadn’t lost at home in three or four years.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Some good games mentioned in here.

Also wanna single out the game at Geelong v Geelong in 2011. It was the week McVeigh’s daughter had died. The Cats were at their peak and hadn’t lost at home in three or four years.

That was truly an outstanding victory down there - magnificent and reflective of the strength of the club's culture.

Can't believe it was now 11 years ago however!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

For the kick that Heeney did in our 2021 rd 3 win against last year's champions the Tiges was pretty special and so was the win.

Heeney in the 3rd qtr goes back and absolutely archer like hammers a left foot 35m out 45 degree thru the absolute middle 6 pointer.

Garry Lyon was gagging over it and the whole commentary team was a gasp.

If Dustin Martin or the Bont did that one on their opposite foot as clean and another 20m past the posts like Heeney did it would have been talked about the rest of the season.

It was special !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    For the kick that Heeney did in our 2021 rd 3 win against last year's champions the Tiges was pretty special and so was the win.

Heeney in the 3rd qtr goes back and absolutely archer like hammers a left foot 35m out 45 degree thru the absolute middle 6 pointer.

Garry Lyon was gagging over it and the whole commentary team was a gasp.

If Dustin Martin or the Bont did that one on their opposite foot as clean and another 20m past the posts like Heeney did it would have been talked about the rest of the season.

It was special !!!!
    Archer-like?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast