Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans games of the past

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I was thinking of that too. It was to celebrate 30 wins at home: [URL="https://images.app.goo.gl/ErfeCATaC5nRNgqN8"]
    Discussion of Geelong's premature celebration reminds me that there was a time - late nineties? early naughties? - when the Swans built up a healthy run of home games without defeat. I don't think we got close to thirty, but it was in the 20s.

When the run was broken (from memory, by St Kilda), there was a moment's silence and then Cheer Cheer started ringing out around the ground. We cringed. I can't recall exactly how long it kept playing for - but several bars, at least.

Had the song-cueing person not been there long enough to realise that you don't automatically play the Swans' song at the end of a Swans' home game?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Watching the highlights video of the 2011 Geelong match reminded me that as well as the Swans players, the Geelong players wore black armbands in support of Jarrad McVeigh following the death of his baby daughter. I found that quite moving.
    Ditto. It contributed to my sense that Geelong is a decent club and on the whole a decent bunch of people.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Discussion of Geelong's premature celebration reminds me that there was a time - late nineties? early naughties? - when the Swans built up a healthy run of home games without defeat. I don't think we got close to thirty, but it was in the 20s.

When the run was broken (from memory, by St Kilda), there was a moment's silence and then Cheer Cheer started ringing out around the ground. We cringed. I can't recall exactly how long it kept playing for - but several bars, at least.

Had the song-cueing person not been there long enough to realise that you don't automatically play the Swans' song at the end of a Swans' home game?
    Quite possibly. If the streak was around 20 games, then they could of been doing the job for almost a couple of seasons. In that time, the original instruction of, 'play the theme song of the winning side', could've been forgotten and morphed into, 'game's over, now I play the Swans tune, and everybody leaves happy'.
    And each game, that slightly erroneous notion, was overwhelmingly reinforced, rather than contradicted. Until St Kilda came along and spoilt it for everybody.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    ... Loved the bleached blonde hair look of Parker too - that was a good day, and must of been amazing to be there at the ground!
    Unless I'm mistaken, the reporter calls him Luke Power in the introduction
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

The game against Collingwood last year was painful. We had 2 games like that one. The other was against Geelong. Won both games but they were both terrible games.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    The game against Collingwood last year was painful. We had 2 games like that one. The other was against Geelong. Won both games but they were both terrible games.

Any game where we beat Geelong is a good one.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Any game where we beat Geelong is a good one.
    Yes but both the Pies & Cats play such horrible footy

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Senior Player

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Colin Hounsell very good player for us. Underrated.
    Seriously good player.

Hounsel has the distinction of kicking first ever goal at SCG when club relocated to Sydney.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast