Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Swans games of the past

Could well be as 2011 was first year additional sub (red vest) was introduced.

Couldn't find anything specific confirming it was this game, but IIRC Seaby was our first sub selected & Longmire later admitted it wasn't right tactic to have a Ruckman as sub.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Could well be as 2011 was first year additional sub (red vest) was introduced.

Couldn't find anything specific confirming it was this game, but IIRC Seaby was our first sub selected & Longmire later admitted it wasn't right tactic to have a Ruckman as sub.
    I think we were all bemused at the choice of Seaby as sub. And we continued to be confused this year with some of the sub selections!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Horse does seem to have a different philosophy regarding the sub MelC - he seems to view it in terms of player encouragement, giving it to a player just outside the 22 and pushing to get in. Not quite an encouragement award, but a bit like that. Whereas other clubs seem to put more stock into the players ability to come on and make an immediate impact.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 27th November 2023 at 10:54 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Imaging how many more games we would have won, or ladder positions gained etc if Horse has made more common sense selections for sub?

Ryan Clarke for most of last season was just such an odd choice.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Imaging how many more games we would have won, or ladder positions gained etc if Horse has made more common sense selections for sub?

Very speculative 'reach' IMO....you might be right and Clarke as frequent sub was odd but not sure it would have lead to many more wins.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Very speculative 'reach' IMO....you might be right and Clarke as frequent sub was odd but not sure it would have lead to many more wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post

Don’t think much would have changed at all and you have no idea why Clarke was selected and without knowing that you can’t say it was not the common sense selection

Senior Player
    Watched mini versions of 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals. Have watched 2005 game that many times that I virtually knew every play in the game. Have avoided 2006 game like the plague but this time I watched the mini version. Apart from the result, it was a sensational game and the pressure applied from both sides was phenomenal and the equal of any applied today. We were fumbly and uncertain for too long early in the game but stormed back. Easy in hindsight, but I'm not sure we should have got rid of Schneider.

Great story on that famous apple throwing incident against Geelong at the Cattery in 1970. They've tracked down the Swans fan responsible. Great read.

How the famous apple-throwing story unfolded

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567