Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swannies players and staff covid positive

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    WTF

You heard how many cases were here overnight champ ?
    A seriously strange response...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I know it's different but I work in a hospital in Melbourne and the hospital network had the policy of no large Christmas get togethers in restaurants or homes with a large number of staff of the same department because of the very reason that if there's one positive case the whole department could be shut down due to lack of available staff for a period of time
    Yes, you're right it's very different.

Does this mean the Swans WA group of Sheldrick, Corey, Chad and Logan have a distinct training advantage over the other players?

Even the article only implies that the boat cruise was responsible without actually saying so. There is in fact nothing at all to suggest it has anything to do with the boat cruise or that the players affected are those who were on the cruise. However there is a clear assertion that "at least 10 players" have contracted Covid. So that's either true or a lie/mistake.

Otherwise I echo the thoughts of others: I don't see any cause for embarrassment, I think we can do no more than encourage our players to be cautious and explain the reasons, and I wish all the players (from our club and others - and for that matter all affected people) speedy and complete recoveries.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I think you're being very tough on the boys. Remember most are late teens / early 20s and have endured 2 seasons of bio bubble life. Yes, they are well paid but they are only human and given the current policy settings, have not broken any AFL rules or laws. Given they are all vaccinated, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what they have done. In fact, it's great to see that they all seem to get on so well. Wish the boys a speedy recovery.
    I might have been a bit strong, particularly since we don't know the source. I regret that.

Agree: no suggestion laws or rules have been broken.

But my disappointment was more directed at management than the players. I saw photos of that boat cruise when it happened and I was worried about this exact thing happening. I would have thought it was in the club and players' best interests to modify behaviour a little (masks, social distancing) to reduce the risks. Maybe the players were given particular instructions/guidance; it would be surprising if they weren't.

Harley has spoken before of the need to ensure preventable injuries don't occur. I wonder whether he thinks they have been taking all reasonable steps to prevent COVID infection. I suspect he might be asked that question at some point, so we may find out.

Anyway, as I should have said in my first post, I really hope, for their own sake, the affected people make a full, quick recovery. It's pretty awful to think about.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Does this mean the Swans WA group of Sheldrick, Corey, Chad and Logan have a distinct training advantage over the other players?
    I expect Covid to explode around the country after the millions of Super Spreader functions held on Xmas Day. Pre season training from here on will be an interesting exercise.

Season 2022 must be in serious doubt already
    Last edited by liz; 23rd December 2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Please take any political commentary to Open Chat

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No Covid in that recently proclaimed new country Westralia, and there won't be if President McGowan maintains his strict border policies. I expect Covid to explode around the country after the millions of Super Spreader functions held on Xmas Day. Pre season training from here on will be an interesting exercise.

Season 2022 must be in serious doubt already

That is a fair post and a good summation.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I think you're being very tough on the boys. Remember most are late teens / early 20s and have endured 2 seasons of bio bubble life. Yes, they are well paid but they are only human and given the current policy settings, have not broken any AFL rules or laws. Given they are all vaccinated, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what they have done. In fact, it's great to see that they all seem to get on so well. Wish the boys a speedy recovery.
    No, you are right RD, under current provisions they did nothing wrong....and all this shows is that the current provisions are not adequate with the fast spreading Omicron variant and that any 'restrictions' are being formulated with votes and party popularity at the forefront of thinking. This is so wrong but so typical!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Get well soon.

Stay safe everyone
    The quote from the club suggests they are currently in good health. There may be nothing for them to "get well" from. There is a strong likelihood that they will have a quiet Christmas and New Year followed by a return to normal circumstances when training resumes. This is not the apocalypse people, it just feels like it.

Veterans List
    According to the paper this morning, they caught it at a hotel where Will and Ollie were launching their alcoholic fizzy fruit drinks

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    According to the paper this morning, they caught it at a hotel where Will and Ollie were launching their alcoholic fizzy fruit drinks
    Hi 707,

Based on who was there from social media posts, that would suggest the positive players could be from the following: Hayward, Florent, McInerney, Amartey, Clarke, Rampe, Gould, Stephens, McCartin, Bell, Heeney and Mills. Paddy McCartin was also there, but they probably aren't counting him as a Swans player yet.

The ramifications may extend beyond the launch party, though. Clarke and Amartey were in Melbourne the day after, at an event with Blakey. If they were positive, they may have brought it with them into Melbourne, so those who they came in contact with will also be forced to isolate until they return a negative test. It is a mighty job the contact tracers have.

Veteran Site Admin
    Again, this is a footy forum.

We're all living this pandemic, we all have views on what should be done, and we all have personal experiences. You are very welcome to discuss these, but on the Open Chat forum, not here in the footy forum.

It appears all the positive tested Swans players on that pre-Christmas cruise have recovered and are back in training? Not sure if any more players have since tested positive or deemed close contacts with the continuing surge of the virus?

Down here in Melbourne the local media over the last couple weeks have reported many Melbourne based clubs being exposed to the virus including Geelong. So they'll also have players with interrupted pre-seasons. Not sure about the SA & QLD teams.

The Bulldogs AFLW team have been hit hard & unable to field team, forcing their fixture to be re-scheduled. The AFLW season could be a litmus test how the AFL handle the men's competition with mass positive cases / close contacts.

Hoping the covid situation begins to ease once the men's competition gets under way, with predictions numbers will peak around late Jan and then slowly dropping off thereafter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast