Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swannies players and staff covid positive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Player

Swannies players and staff covid positive

Suspended by the MRP
    WTF

You heard how many cases were here overnight champ ?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    WTF

You heard how many cases were here overnight champ ?
    A seriously strange response...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    I know it's different but I work in a hospital in Melbourne and the hospital network had the policy of no large Christmas get togethers in restaurants or homes with a large number of staff of the same department because of the very reason that if there's one positive case the whole department could be shut down due to lack of available staff for a period of time
    Yes, you're right it's very different.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm disappointed (for them, as I don't wish Covid on anyone) but not embarrassed (for the club). I think, in the current environment, we need to get over the "stigma" associated with contracting Covid. None of them broke any rules - national, statewide or AFL-mandated).

I mostly hope that none of the players affected suffers any serious discomfort or becomes seriously ill - and from a partly more selfish point of view, that none has their pre-season campaign seriously impacted.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I mostly hope that none of the players affected suffers any serious discomfort or becomes seriously ill - and from a partly more selfish point of view, that none has their pre-season campaign seriously impacted.
    That would be my main concern too.

With Omicron and the lack of restrictions, we're already seeing doubling of cases every few days. It's almost certain to blow out into many thousands of cases now, unfortunately. I'm not planning on removing my mask anytime soon!

Hardly surprising and definitely not embarrassing. Hope you don’t feel that way when you get it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by monopoly19 View Post
    Hardly surprising and definitely not embarrassing. Hope you don’t feel that way when you get it.
    Yes, I should temper that. The comment was made on the assumption that it was picked up at an event without social distancing and mask wearing. We don't know that. My point is that I would expect the Swans to take mitigation strategies beyond protocols, including wearing masks in public, and I'd be disappointed if this wasn't at least strongly encouraged among the playing group, both as a risk mitigation strategy and as an example to the community.

I feel bad for them individually and hope their cases are mild and they make full, swift recoveries.

Regular in the Side
    I know it's different but I work in a hospital in Melbourne and the hospital network had the policy of no large Christmas get togethers in restaurants or homes with a large number of staff of the same department because of the very reason that if there's one positive case the whole department could be shut down due to lack of available staff for a period of time

I think you are being a bit harsh here. Omicron is a different beastie to all other variants. For a start double vax is only 45% effective. The players have yet to get a booster, which would make thrm between 70 & 80% less likely to contract Omicron.

The other thing is when Omicron is spreading so quickly through the whole community and several hotpots are East then they are just as at risk as anybody else.
    Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by liz; 21st December 2021 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Please take any political commentary to Open Chat

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    That would be my main concern too.

With Omicron and the lack of restrictions, we're already seeing doubling of cases every few days. It's almost certain to blow out into many thousands of cases now, unfortunately. I'm not planning on removing my mask anytime soon!
    but are you planning to go to games

It is what it is now. The NSW Govnerment effectively made a call for the rest of Australia when they moved to remove quarantine requirements around international entries, which meant if there weas a quick moving variant, any ability to control and mitigate would effectively be out the window. I'd be suprised if we don't end up seeing 10K+ cases a day in NSW after Christmas and proportionely similar outcomes in other states with relatively open border policies. We've joined most of the rest of the world, playing to some degree russian roulette hoping that omicron and whatever is next to come proves to be relatively mild and it drops off in the 3rd year, as other pandemics have done at other times.

All that means was it was probably inevitable that players end up getting it. Sounds like the players didn't break any rules or do anything wrong per say, so hard to see it as an embarassing outcome - its just a product of the fact its moving through the community quickly and without any real 'circuit breakers' available or in place.

Hope they all come out the other side okay and feeling fine to get stuck back into pre-season in the new year.

Who knows what the world will look like by March, but I hope the AFL is watching very closely some of the very messy challenges covid is creating in some overseas sports (good example the Premier League in the UK) where there are flare ups in infection numbers and squads being left threadbare at times as a result.

Very hard in the AFL compared to other sports to easily 'reschedule' matches as such, so need some good mechanisms in place to make sure that any disruptions that may occur can be managed. Lets hope by March the end of the tunnel is in sight, but who knows.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Season 2022 will be won by the club with the deepest list - I suspect every listed player wi be required at some stage in 2022.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast