Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2022 Captaincy - Leadership Group changes?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Do the players actually vote for the captain(s) specifically, or just the leadership group? My understanding was that they voted for the leadership group but that the captains were appointed by the coaching panel.
    Not sure. That's all I found out. Sorry.

It makes sense that the club has its input by deciding how many captains/vice-captains etc and how many in the leadership group. I can't imagine that is entirely the players' doing.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The wording of this Swans announcement of the change this year - Kennedy stepping down, Mills coming in - strongly suggests the captains are appointed by the club rather than elected by players.

Mills joins Parker and Rampe as Sydney co-captains

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Do the players actually vote for the captain(s) specifically, or just the leadership group? My understanding was that they voted for the leadership group but that the captains were appointed by the coaching panel.
    My understanding is this is definitely correct.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I noticed in JPK's speech when he stood down that he never mentioned Cal as the person who was stepping up, like it was not his place to announce it.

Suspended by the MRP
    Mills will be best captain we 've had since PK , no disrespect to all others . There are captains and then there are captains ! Gulden after him if he learns

As a keen follower of Cricket, it appears in Cricket that the players appoint the Coach and Coaching staff.

Are the Swans leadership group consulted on any changes to the coaching staff or is the coaching staff the total domain of Longmire and Gardener?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    As a keen follower of Cricket, it appears in Cricket that the players appoint the Coach and Coaching staff.

Are the Swans leadership group consulted on any changes to the coaching staff or is the coaching staff the total domain of Longmire and Gardener?
    No, in cricket it appears the players get rid of coaches......rather than appoint them.

In footy, I would think that rightly, the players have no input into the coaching positions/selections.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    No, in cricket it appears the players get rid of coaches......rather than appoint them.

In footy, I would think that rightly, the players have no input into the coaching positions/selections.
    You forgotten the "Choose Roos" movement of 2002?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

Except for that time the Swans players appointed Roosey

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Whilst acknowledging the co-captaincy model has served us well, I personally think this is a good time to revert to the traditional single captaincy model for a period due to Luke Parker imo beng such a standout and in peak of his career, who lifts our team more than any other when needed.
    Luke Parker's inspiring performance yesterday reinforces my opinion of him being our stand alone captain.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Luke Parker's inspiring performance yesterday reinforces my opinion of him being our stand alone captain.
    He produced that performance while being part of the current three-headed arrangement. Why does that performance suggest the club needs to change anything?

He produced that performance while being part of the current three-headed arrangement. Why does that performance suggest the club needs to change anything?
    Sorry, my intention wasn't to suggest the club should change captaincy model now after just one round, but rather highlighting the view I had pre-season on single captaincy (before the captaincy changes was announced), which Luke's performance yesterday reinforced why I was thinking that.

Happy with the co-captaincy model which has served us well as I'd mentioned. Luke may well be most comfortable not being stand alone captain but he is imo the most inspirational of the co-captains. This is based on games I've seen him play in recent seasons and not just yesterday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123