Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: BBBH

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I think binary and non-binary will be the most over used words in 2022. I noticed a sports person described themselves as non-binary. Does that mean I am binary?

- - - Updated - - -

Bulldust.
    Still won’t apologise Nico. Very disappointed in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Still won’t apologise Nico. Very disappointed in you.
    This is really very odd behaviour. You do realise that, don't you? You set up an endless stream of straw men and then spend 10 days of your life defending them.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that get binary and those that don’t.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that get binary and those that don’t.
    Actually, there are only two types of people in the world:
    1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Years ago, I used to refer to alleged ruckman, Paul Chambers, as 'binary'; because his stat sheets were invariably a collection of 0s, interspersed with the occasional 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Years ago, I used to refer to alleged ruckman, Paul Chambers, as 'binary'; because his stat sheets were invariably a collection of 0s, interspersed with the occasional 1.
    Funnily enough, despite his maligning, he has fond memories of his time with us. He moved to the UK to teach for a few years & is now back with Geelong working in a community program with kids

Veterans List
    You have twisted my quote. I didn’t infer that Hookes was involved in a pub fight. All I said on David Hookes was that the situation was tragic. I then moved onto Mathews and Hall and where their hits had been committed.

There are two options here:

1) Nico apologise

2) Mods, please wipe Nico’s post and my reply off as well.
    Now that's a funny post.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Funnily enough, despite his maligning, he has fond memories of his time with us. He moved to the UK to teach for a few years & is now back with Geelong working in a community program with kids
    I'm sure he's a nice guy and that he learned some valuable lessons while at the Swans. Possibly the most valuable, was that he was nowhere near being an AFL level footballer.
    Good luck to him, though.

Three types actually: those who can count, and those who can't.

Veterans List
    Chad contacts BBBBH

Longmire's Swans culture-building initiative and how Barry Hall was involved

That’s how a young player should do it. Barry would have loved talking to Chad. Notice how Chad was on fire early in 2021. Barry made every Swan walk taller. It’s clear that Barry also lifted Chad.

I like Chad more now.
    All this proves is that BBBH can be a great bloke off the field......that has never been in question. Never. Great blokes can still be flawed on field and Barry had his flaws, that is without question. Just a reminder.....Chad rang Barry only after Horse asked him to. Dylan Stephens rang Gerard Healy after being asked to....and so on....so not sure what the actual point of your post is.

09183305 makes a good point about knowing what Barry and Chad actually talked about, so here's some 'speculation' for you.....something you're very familiar with. Barry may have said to Chad "......and don't let any negative off-field events influence your on-field actions like I did at times. Stay focussed on the task and never let your team mates down with selfish actions when things aren't going your way. The clubs culture is everything.....never betray it."

Sound ok? More likely than some of the drivel being put up on this thread in recent days.

One more thing. One person on this thread has denied BBBH was a champion player. I believe he is alone on this and as such it doesn't reflect that basically all of us here believe he was a champion. You just can't seem to accept that he had flaws which were contrary to the culture that had been built at the Swans and that his team mates, however young, had the right to point this out to him.....'because he was a champion that deserves respect'.

None of his negative on field actions respected the clubs culture or helped the team in any way and he deserved to be told.....and in any post 'negative event' analysis, that's all he deserved.....so it matters little who it came from, whether it be from Horse or a younger team mate.

Would it have been better if the YU said to Barry "It's ok mate, we all saw Staker niggling you all day long and the umpires do nothing to protect you. He got what he deserved. Well done mate, we've got your back. Here's some more cotton wool". Give me a break.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 25th January 2022 at 12:43 PM.

Veterans List
    You are an odd bedfellow for me, BS, but I am with you on this one - at least to the key point of the respect we should give to BBBBH ... not so sure I mind about young upstarts giving feedback because I think about early Dan Hannebery and early Errol Gulden and I love the confidence that shows. But BBBBH has earned an exalted place in the Swans Pantheon.

There are a number of silly ideas on this thread, that seem to have become accepted wisdom. I'm not going to address specific posts, I will say this:

The idea that Barry had "numerous" issues as a Swans player is wrong. Sorry, but he just didn't. From 2002- PF 2005 he was a very solid citizen - that's how he was able to get a downgrade on his guilty finding for the stomach strike in the 2005 PF. He had at least three years where he was as upright as anyone else.

BBBBH was colossal for us. As I said earlier, the idea he was just a "good average player" is beyond laughable. Look at his record. Watch his clutch kicks in the 2005PF and GF and ask yourself if that's a "good average player". Everything on the line. Seriously. He ended on a sad note, the problems at the end shouldn't overshadow what was an historic contribution to our club. It is fantastic to have him back.
    Thankfully you seem to agree with most of us on the fact that a YU has the right to pull 'a champion' into line....which is how this never ending debate started.

Sadly, you seem to have missed the point that it's only one poster that believes he was 'a good average player'.....and also that it was post 2005 when he was not such a 'solid citizen'. It's likely that this is the time period the YU rightly addressed this with him in said team meeting.

By your own admission, we don't win the 2005 GF without Barry....well lucky he had enough 'solid citizen' points in the bank to get off the Maguire charge then isn't it.....otherwise he may have been remembered as having lost us a flag. As I said in an earlier post, what a wonderful legacy that would have been.....and all from his 'solid citizen' period. Wow.

But yes, it is fantastic to have him back. No doubt all Swans fans love Barry, despite his flaws and indeed in spite of some on here glossing over some uncomfortable truths of the past.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 25th January 2022 at 01:18 PM.

Veterans List
    Outstanding post.

My favourite ever commentator was a big Hall fan and that rubbed off on me.

Robert Wall’s loved Barry Hall. A tough, no nonsense commentator loved the tough, no nonsense player.

Wall’s could see Hall’s value to the Swans.

The sad thing for Barry was that the Swans effectively refused to let him play after the 2009 Adelaide game when he hit Ben Rutton.

Where was Barry’s farewell game when Barry, The Swans and Swans fans knew that he would be out at seasons end. The Swans were not making finals in 2009. Why not a farewell game.

K.Jack, and McVeigh got their glorious 2019 farewell game.

No farewell for Barry despite being more important to the Swans success than the above two players.
    You still just don't get it. You're doubling down and clutching at speculative straws like a Murdoch journo....it's cringeworthy. Jack and McVeigh never king hit anybody, never even got reported (correct me if I'm wrong on this). They 100% respected the Swans culture 100% of the time and they weren't in self imposed purgatory like BBBH was. By this time, he had burnt his bridges well and truly.....no one felt good about the way his time at the Swans ended and anyone with any common sense would understand that a 'farewell' game would have been a pretty hollow experience for everyone involved.....even disingenuous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post