Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Predictions for Season 2022

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Lets hope not Graeme on the first one, but fear you may be not far off the money.

I think we can significantly improve this season but wouldn't suprise me if we tread water a little. Going to be interesting to see.
    My hunch is that the Bulldogs will go the other way: in a similar manner to the 2020 Giants, after they were humiliated in the 2019 GF by Richmond. I think both the 2019 Giants and the 2021 Bulldogs played with much the same swagger, with the belief that with their talent, a premiership was just a matter of time. After that self belief was knocked out of the Giants by the Tigers, they were a shadow of their former selves and never really looked like contenders. So, let's hope that the beating that the Demons gave the Bulldogs, eats away at their confidence in a similar manner. Also, if the AFL is serious about the crackdown on illegal disposal, that they announced a little while ago; then that could be problematic for the Bulldogs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Because of Covid I'm choosing to avoid some of my usual social events, I'm instead watching a few of our winning 2021 games, some for a third time :-)

Not sure if it's just me having a strange aversion or it's the 2016 GF memories but, and I'm serious here, the blue in the Dogs jumper makes me feel a touch nauseous,
    I had to stop watching! Put me off the excellent Shiraz I was drinking - true!
    The old Fremantle jumper could make me nauseous at times. Nothing against Fremantle, it's just that I really don't like the combination of purple and green.

I would add to the comments about Bulldogs possibly being knocked about (rather than inspired) by a Grand Final loss…a certain all conquering Sydney Swans who spent the following season losing the first six in a row, and the well drilled Adelaide Crows who (unbelievably from this viewpoint) were in a Grand Final just a handful of years ago. Their trauma (Abu Graib renditions of the Richmond theme tune, certain still undisclosed goings on at the infamous “camp”) saw them dive all the way to a wooden spoon! So, yeah it’s more likely to be a bump than a bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I would add to the comments about Bulldogs possibly being knocked about (rather than inspired) by a Grand Final loss…a certain all conquering Sydney Swans who spent the following season losing the first six in a row, and the well drilled Adelaide Crows who (unbelievably from this viewpoint) were in a Grand Final just a handful of years ago. Their trauma (Abu Graib renditions of the Richmond theme tune, certain still undisclosed goings on at the infamous “camp”) saw them dive all the way to a wooden spoon! So, yeah it’s more likely to be a bump than a bounce.
    The Bulldogs are a talented and experienced team- so when we beat them, it feels so much better and more satisfying than a win say over the Suns!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    The Bulldogs are a talented and experienced team- so when we beat them, it feels so much better and more satisfying than a win say over the Suns!
    Yes, they are talented. But they are not a prolific scoring team. I thought where Melbourne got them was in the third. There was a lot not going right for the Dees early that quarter. They had plenty of ball but were turning it over and the bounce of the pill was not going their way. The scoring was minimal in that period and Dogs were more dominant. When the Dees finally broke through and then started to score out of the centre, Dogs had no answer. They are not a huge scoring side and like a scrappy, low scoring game. If you give that to them, they will win every time. what Melbourne did was take them out of their comfort zone and made it a shootout. Dogs can't sustain scoring so they were totally blitzed. Dees also cleaned up their disposal, looked for loose players and players worked hard to get free on the lead. They quickened the pace of the game, which did not suit Dogs as they are not a really quick side. The Dees runners totally killed the dogs. Petracca was wonderful, but players like Rivers were sensational in running the ball.

Predictions for 2022
    Top 6 (In no specific order)
    Brisbane
    Port Adelaide
    Western Bulldogs
    Geelong
    Sydney Swans
    Melbourne

Next 6 (In no specific order)
    GWS Giants
    Richmond
    Essendon
    Fremantle
    Carlton
    St Kilda

I reckon, we need a few things to go right in the first few weeks to give us the confidence to make it to top 4 as the other contenders are pretty loaded.
    I would be happy if a couple of the top 6 teams like Bulldogs and Melbourne or Geelong fall away this year and are replaced by Essendon or Fremantle.
    As always, there are going to be a couple of surprises as the competition is pretty even.
    I have Swans finishing 5th just missing out on the top 4 but would absolutely love it if the young brigade take it over in the middle from Joey Kennedy and Mills and smash the opposition. Stephens, McInerney, Gulden, Chad, Rowbottom, Florent and Campbell - a lot riding on these young shoulders.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Predictions for 2022
    Top 6 (In no specific order)
    Brisbane
    Port Adelaide
    Western Bulldogs
    Geelong
    Sydney Swans
    Melbourne

Next 6 (In no specific order)
    GWS Giants
    Richmond
    Essendon
    Fremantle
    Carlton
    St Kilda

I reckon, we need a few things to go right in the first few weeks to give us the confidence to make it to top 4 as the other contenders are pretty loaded.
    I would be happy if a couple of the top 6 teams like Bulldogs and Melbourne or Geelong fall away this year and are replaced by Essendon or Fremantle.
    As always, there are going to be a couple of surprises as the competition is pretty even.
    I have Swans finishing 5th just missing out on the top 4 but would absolutely love it if the young brigade take it over in the middle from Joey Kennedy and Mills and smash the opposition. Stephens, McInerney, Gulden, Chad, Rowbottom, Florent and Campbell - a lot riding on these young shoulders.
    I don't disagree with much of this, including the implications for the bottom six.

The Dorks, Collingwood and Adelaide have a long way to go on their rebuilds, North are rebuilding well and improving but still a year or so and good key defenders off making a real jump, Gold Coast will suffer again with King's absence hurting badly, and the Eagles have hit a cliff. They might win enough games at home to sit a bit higher on the ladder, but struggle to see it and will be amazed if they make the eight.

The three interesting ones for me are the Cats, Richmond and Carlton.

Geelong probably still have enough talent and a big home ground advantage to do well and make the eight. But so what? They won't win the flag and will need serious regeneration in the next year or two.

Richmond were flat out cooked last year after their stellar run, and suffered terribly with injuries. If they have a decent run at it, I can easily see them jumping back into the top six with one proviso - they need a couple of their youngsters in the midfield to jump up.

I've been highly critical of Carlton, and will believe it when I see it. But with good recruitment (class in Cerra and a two-way worker in Hewett), a returning Charlie Curnow, a good young ruckman in De Koning and fresh direction under Voss, they have the potential to improve. Not make the eight, but improve. Then again, the loss of Jones hurts, they have no small forwards with Eddie retiring and they could remain the laughing stock we all love to ridicule, and Jones' loss hurts, so let's hope it's another season of misery and comedy capers.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

If anyone needs a boost to their optimism about season 2022, you'll find it from a relatively unlikely source - Foxsports has a great article about our prospects, that also recognises (finally) how we've been purring along on the rebuild for a little while now, and fingers crossed that last year is just the end of the beginning for this group.

AFL news 2022: Sydney Swans, season preview, fixture, best team, analysis, Buddy Franklin 1000 goals, John Longmire

As most will do, we look at things through red and white tinted glasses, and take the best parts and amplify them, and will playdown the challenges etc. But I do honestly think that if our upwards trajectory continues this season (i.e. we don't have a blip), then nothing is necessarily out of the question as achievable.

All that needs to be said from here however is bring it on - strap in, and lets enjoy the ride!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    If anyone needs a boost to their optimism about season 2022, you'll find it from a relatively unlikely source - Foxsports has a great article about our prospects, that also recognises (finally) how we've been purring along on the rebuild for a little while now, and fingers crossed that last year is just the end of the beginning for this group.

AFL news 2022: Sydney Swans, season preview, fixture, best team, analysis, Buddy Franklin 1000 goals, John Longmire

As most will do, we look at things through red and white tinted glasses, and take the best parts and amplify them, and will playdown the challenges etc. But I do honestly think that if our upwards trajectory continues this season (i.e. we don't have a blip), then nothing is necessarily out of the question as achievable.

All that needs to be said from here however is bring it on - strap in, and lets enjoy the ride!
    A very good piece that also subtly reinforces arguably the most important person on our list, given the lack of a proven viable alternative and depth (well, there's Buddy, but he's a freak), is Tom McCartin. His brother *might* come good. Reid *might* work. Melican *might" improve. But fingers and toes crossed, coz Rampe can't do it on his own.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP

Good

Senior Player
    Predictions are a bit difficult given injuries etc.

The *objective* should be: top 4 > premiership.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Undefeated!

That's my lowest prediction.
    doof-doof

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Top four, no particular order: Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane, Sydney.
    Premiers: Port Adelaide. They have been going well to finish top four the last couple of years and they are due to take that extra step.
    Finals: Geelong, Melbourne, Essendon, Fremantle. Fremantle's loaded up on early draft picks the last few years and they are on the rise. I was going to pick Carlton, but I won't be picking them to make the finals until they actually do so.

Wooden spoon: West Coast. There's something wrong with the side all over the park and they seem to be headed for a bad season.
    Other bottom four sides: Hawthorn, Gold Coast, North Melbourne. Collingwood will have two Daicoses on the park so they should do better this year.

Rising Star: Josh Sinn (Port Adelaide).
    Brownlow: Christian Petracca (Melbourne).
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast