Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Predictions for Season 2022

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    There was also this classic of the genre on our prospects heading into the finals in 2012.

Mick: Swans, Crows not worthy

(My only caveat on Mick was he was a fierce defender of Goodes.)
    You made me look up our draw. It wasn't particularly soft. The teams that we played twice were Hawthorn (1st after H & A), Geelong (5th), St Kilda (9th), Bulldogs (14th) and GWS (last). On the surface, that looks par for the course: so I don't know what Malthouse was on.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    : so I don't know what Malthouse was on.
    He was on Malthouse juice. Sour and salty.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hopefully the bottle has a twist top: drinking it is a bitter and mildly twisted experience.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    No wonder he was rating the Bombers so highly. Plenty of juice there to go around.

Melbourne had a much criticised pre-season program last year where members of the coaching staff would have drinking sessions with players at The Hotel Sorrento. The captain and coach particularly enjoyed a beer together. This practice was criticised by the AFL.

The practice obviously brought great results for the Demons as players and coaches got to know each other better.

Do people believe that the Swans Coaching staff and players are spending enough social time together and having enough pre-season beers together?

Should Longmire and the coaching staff be doing Saturday afternoon sessions at The Newport Hotel to better get to know the players?

It worked for Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Melbourne had a much criticised pre-season program last year where members of the coaching staff would have drinking sessions with players at The Hotel Sorrento. The captain and coach particularly enjoyed a beer together. This practice was criticised by the AFL.

The practice obviously brought great results for the Demons as players and coaches got to know each other better.

Do people believe that the Swans Coaching staff and players are spending enough social time together and having enough pre-season beers together?

Should Longmire and the coaching staff be doing Saturday afternoon sessions at The Newport Hotel to better get to know the players?

It worked for Melbourne.
    I just gotta ask, are you trolling, have you run out of sensible (or otherwise) things to post, or do you genuinely believe that Goodwin’s much criticised fraternising had anything to do with the Dees premiership success?

Veterans List

It worked for Melbourne.
    Think they've seen plenty of each other whilst hubbing out of Sydney the past two seasons!

It worked for Melbourne.
    Perhaps you could acquaint yourself with the aphorism: correlation does not equal causation? Here's a link to get you started: Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Perhaps you could acquaint yourself with the aphorism: correlation does not equal causation? Here's a link to get you started: Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia.
    I'm going to keep having beers with my boss: Max Gawn backs under-fire Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin

I’m sorry. Big Max has stated that The Sorrento sessions were beneficial to the success of 2021.

Big Max is the undisputed best ruckman in the game and one of the AFL great leaders.

If Big Max is saying it, i’m believing it.

The Melbourne president said the players loved Goodwin. Maybe some social time between coaches and players improved team spirit and morale and meant they had the resilience to over turn a three goal, 3rd term deficit and storm home to a flag.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to keep having beers with my boss: Max Gawn backs under-fire Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin

I’m sorry. Big Max has stated that The Sorrento sessions were beneficial to the success of 2021.

Big Max is the undisputed best ruckman in the game and one of the AFL great leaders.

The Melbourne president said the players loved Goodwin. Maybe some social time between coaches and players improved team spirit and morale and meant they had the resilience to over turn a three goal, 3rd term deficit and storm home to a flag.

- - - Updated - - -

Veterans List

It worked for Melbourne.
    Just a simple laughing emoji at the end of your post would indicate to everyone that you're joking......but the lack of one has me worried. Very worried.

Veterans List

Again.....very worried. While the Dees proved that the media storm over these alleged happenings was totally irrelevant (and total clickbait) by actually winning the flag, I'm not sure it means it would work for everyone. It seems you ignored bloodspirits link.

While a drinking culture was prevalent in many Clubs in the 70s and 80s, it would be crazy to go down that path in these highly professional days. Maybe the occasional catchup socially would work, but that is as far as it should go. Coaches also need to be careful to not get too close to the players as they have to make ruthless decisions at times.

Melbourne won the flag because they had a great team with several champion players that clicked at the right time, not because of drinking sessions.