Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Paddy McCartin

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Can some of the more knowledgeable on here comment that as far as future concussion injuries are concerned , it is better for him to play back rather than forward ?
    Hmm, interesting question. I just did a quick google search, to see if there were any studies that actually statistically analyzed concussion risk by position. I couldn't find any. Which means either of two things. One: there isn't any, or two; there is, but it was beyond me to find them. Both options are probably just as likely, but if there are any, goswannies is much more likely to know about them than me.

I can make a few semi-educated guesses. I suspect that midfielders have the most concussion risk. Firstly through a numbers thing. That is, concussions are often caused by accidents in contests, so, since midfielders are usually involved in more contests, there should be a slightly higher risk of them being concussed. Also, they're encouraged to not back off when trying to win a contested ball, so that can mean that their heads are in places where they're likely to be whacked. In regards to defenders vs forwards, it's probably much of a muchness. Maybe a forward is more likely to cop a whack to the head, from a defender "making him earn it". Maybe a defender is more likely to get crunched, when filling the space in front of a leading forward. But I suspect that most concussions are caused, by things like accidental head clashes, stray arms in the contest, or falling awkwardly in a marking contest and hitting your head on the way down. And it's probably likely, that the chances of one of those things happening to a forward or a defender are much the same.

So, I guess I'm saying, that I don't really know, but it's probably about even.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I just draw on his brothers experience of starting as a forward then excelling down back.....and I see no reason Paddy can't do the same. Both have a high footy IQ. As none of us have seen him play as a defender much, answers to your questions may have to come in the future rather than now.
    A few of us saw him play in defence on the Gold Coast last year. What impressed us was his ability to read the play coming into defence. Also appeared to be directing others. Knows where the footy is at and I expect he will be played down back.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    He's definitely got physical presence. He has kind of a gruff demeanour too (unlike Tom).
    Just what we need down the back, Bloodspirit. Hopefully he will be able to intimidate some monster forwards with his strength- something that no other player in our team has been capable of doing. Ramps comes close but in reality he is giving away too much height so now he should be able to play on opponents near his own size. Gould and our Irish recruit are yet to debut but potentially could also qualify- let’s hope so, as we are bound to have injuries over the season and we will need these guys to step up.

Last Year: Nick Nack Paddy Wack

This Year: Nick Nack Paddy Back

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Interesting comparison of Paddy and Melican, from Footywire:

Tale of the tape for both:

Height: 194 cm
    Weight: 100 kg
    Origin: Geelong Falcons

They were both drafted in 2014, Paddy #1, Melican #52 in the rookie draft.

They must have played together and suspect know each other well. Now they're competing for the same spot in a side. I can't remember this ever being mentioned, but perhaps I've just forgotten.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I watched him pretty closely in the VFL match against the Suns at Metricon last season. I thought that he read the ball very well, while playing as a loose man. That is, a few times he was further away from the ball drop than other players, but managed to either get there before them to take an intercept mark, or to effect a telling spoil. His spoiling was physically imposing, as well. As in, the players in front certainly felt him arriving at the contest. Perhaps what surprised me most was his kicking. He can effortlessly kick Malceski style darts. The probable downside from then, was that he didn't appear to have a huge tank, but I suspect that would have improved since then.
    Thanks, super helpful. The high footy IQ and kicking skills are always a great place to start.

What will be interesting with him - and was a question going back to his days as a potential draftee from memory - is whether the diabetes will inhibit the ability to get fit enough.

As I said, on balance, worth a punt given that is the weakest part of our list and he'll cost bugger all.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    We could have left this signing until the end of the signing period in early March but we've gone early :-)

Paddy must be impressing on the track. A good signing for the club that likes to bring family together!

Good luck Paddy and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Interesting comparison of Paddy and Melican, from Footywire:

Tale of the tape for both:

Height: 194 cm
    Weight: 100 kg
    Origin: Geelong Falcons

They were both drafted in 2014, Paddy #1, Melican #52 in the rookie draft.

They must have played together and suspect know each other well. Now they're competing for the same spot in a side. I can't remember this ever being mentioned, but perhaps I've just forgotten.
    I didn't know they were both from the Falcons in the same draft - well spotted! Lewis has played 52 games to Paddy's 35.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    A few of us saw him play in defence on the Gold Coast last year. What impressed us was his ability to read the play coming into defence. Also appeared to be directing others. Knows where the footy is at and I expect he will be played down back.
    Well done, Nico.
    Directing others is a sign of footy maturity, when done appropriately.
    Reading play a massive plus.
    But knowing where the footy is and where it's going??? Rare and invaluable.
    High hopes here, but the concussion issues worry me so much.

paddy is quick enough and could easily play a swing role
    but the competition at the swans is super hot for snrs
    im excited
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Thanks for those links, AG. Paddy's a great mark.

I really feel that whatever the risks of recruiting him, the low cost and the high upside justify them. Hopefully the rest of the team can offer him a lot of support to help him mentally and fingers crossed with the concussions.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast