Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Paddy McCartin

And who knows, a lot of injuries early in a young players career ( including concussion ) come about by the body still trying to mature so lets hope this is the case for Paddy. not much risk but potential very high reward for the club here.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Well done, Nico.
    Directing others is a sign of footy maturity, when done appropriately.
    Reading play a massive plus.
    But knowing where the footy is and where it's going??? Rare and invaluable.
    High hopes here, but the concussion issues worry me so much.
    Forgot to mention he kicks the footy with control, depth and accuracy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Interesting comparison of Paddy and Melican, from Footywire:

Tale of the tape for both:

Height: 194 cm
    Weight: 100 kg
    Origin: Geelong Falcons

They were both drafted in 2014, Paddy #1, Melican #52 in the rookie draft.

They must have played together and suspect know each other well. Now they're competing for the same spot in a side. I can't remember this ever being mentioned, but perhaps I've just forgotten.
    Just flicked it to my file of useless information.

Veteran Site Admin
    As others have observed, his kicking is a highlight. It's unusual to see a defender kick the ball with the precision, penetration and fluency that he does. I guess that's because (or why) he hasn't always been a defender.

Veterans List
    Interesting comparison of Paddy and Melican, from Footywire:

Tale of the tape for both:

Height: 194 cm
    Weight: 100 kg
    Origin: Geelong Falcons

They were both drafted in 2014, Paddy #1, Melican #52 in the rookie draft.

They must have played together and suspect know each other well. Now they're competing for the same spot in a side. I can't remember this ever being mentioned, but perhaps I've just forgotten.
    That is rather amazing.

Delighted for him, not expecting much but hoping he stays healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

Just flicked it to my file of useless information.
    Along with all my other comments, I suppose.

Veterans List
    Along with all my other comments, I suppose.
    Of course not. You are a very learned man. I just did a deep dive into that file and couldn't find anything else attributable to you.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    As others have observed, his kicking is a highlight. It's unusual to see a defender kick the ball with the precision, penetration and fluency that he does. I guess that's because (or why) he hasn't always been a defender.
    I seem to recall us having another defender cum forward last year who could kick the ball with precision, penetration and fluency, and who was also a good mark. I think he has left the club now, but Paddy is bigger, stronger, a better mark, a bloody good kick (although perhaps not quite as good) and really wants to be at the club. Maybe he's a good replacement, and maybe the club brains trust was doing this calculation when deciding to let Voldemort go.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I seem to recall us having another defender cum forward last year who could kick the ball with precision, penetration and fluency, and who was also a good mark. I think he has left the club now, but Paddy is bigger, stronger, a better mark, a bloody good kick (although perhaps not quite as good) and really wants to be at the club. Maybe he's a good replacement, and maybe the club brains trust was doing this calculation when deciding to let Voldemort go.
    Different kind of "defender". Dawson wasn't really a defender - he was a flanker who sometimes operated out of the defensive fifty.

P McCartin is likely to play more as a real defender. (And while his kicking is good, I don't know it's at Dawson's level - based on what I've actually witnessed. Haven't seen him picking out a target over a long distance.)

Senior Player
    I dunno who Voldemort is, but referring to Dawson as nameless etc seems a bit strong.
    The Christchurch murderer deserves that , but not an athlete seeking to improve his life.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I dunno who Voldemort is, but referring to Dawson as nameless etc seems a bit strong.
    The Christchurch murderer deserves that , but not an athlete seeking to improve his life.
    Yeah, Josh doesn't deserve that. Actually, is it Josh?
    Jeremy? Gordon? Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Different kind of "defender". Dawson wasn't really a defender - he was a flanker who sometimes operated out of the defensive fifty.

P McCartin is likely to play more as a real defender. (And while his kicking is good, I don't know it's at Dawson's level - based on what I've actually witnessed. Haven't seen him picking out a target over a long distance.)
    One thing that I like about Paddy signing, is that it increases the chances of Rampe being relieved of taking a monster forward and moved on to a medium forward. Not only would he be likely to dominate that type of match up, but it should allow him to play more of a rebounding role. And I think his rebounding skills are very good. He often plays on instinctively, he has a fast and accurate short kick, which usually gets the ball to someone in space.

I'm reserved about Paddy making any sort of immediate impact or gaining early selection, considering he hasn't played senior footy since 2018 and only 5 VFL games last year. The club obviously sees him as a chance, same as the astute VFL followers here on what he might bring to the table. Can understand the excitement as I'm also very intrigued, but at the same time cautious due to his history. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by KSAS; 2nd February 2022 at 11:28 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast