Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Paddy McCartin

Welcome Paddy McCartin

The Swans have, at last, formalised the signing of Paddy McCartin: Paddy's back: Former Saint McCartin signs with Swans (afl.com.au).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I posted this in the off-season thread, so happy for the response to be wherever:

"So, Paddy is now official. As someone who lives outside Sydney these days, and with COVID-travel restrictions, I've never seen him play as a defender. I'm keen to get the view on those who have: what's he actually do well as a defender, and what's his actual weak spots to work on as a defender? (Looking for more than 'he was once a No1 pick', or 'his diabetes', or 'not thump people')."
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I think this is a fantastic signing and the addition of Ladhams and Paddy takes some of the sting out of losing whatshisname. These guys are a much better fit for our needs. Paddy has the perfect age and experience profile and the versatility to play both ends of the ground. Imagine what an astute recruitment it will prove to be if in a couple of years he and Logan lead the forward line! Equally if he and his brother wind up premiership key backs for us! Sure, he comes with risk - not just injury but I'm worried about brain snaps too. But for such a modest investment we can't lose. I hope this is a win all round - for Paddy and for the club. Hopefully he can realise his potential with us and learn to manage whatever health issues he's dealing with and find some happiness and equilibrium in Sydney and it's relatively more cloistered environment that perhaps he wasn't able to do while at the Saints.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I posted this in the off-season thread, so happy for the response to be wherever:

"So, Paddy is now official. As someone who lives outside Sydney these days, and with COVID-travel restrictions, I've never seen him play as a defender. I'm keen to get the view on those who have: what's he actually do well as a defender, and what's his actual weak spots to work on as a defender? (Looking for more than 'he was once a No1 pick', or 'his diabetes', or 'not thump people')."
    I just draw on his brothers experience of starting as a forward then excelling down back.....and I see no reason Paddy can't do the same. Both have a high footy IQ. As none of us have seen him play as a defender much, answers to your questions may have to come in the future rather than now.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I just draw on his brothers experience of starting as a forward then excelling down back.....and I see no reason Paddy can't do the same. Both have a high footy IQ. As none of us have seen him play as a defender much, answers to your questions may have to come in the future rather than now.
    Oh, I don't doubt he could and like the Reid, one-year, cheap contract, think it is a gamble worth taking. I'm just wondering from those who have seen him play a bit in ressies last year if they had any insights.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Can some of the more knowledgeable on here comment that as far as future concussion injuries are concerned , it is better for him to play back rather than forward ?

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

I watched him pretty closely in the VFL match against the Suns at Metricon last season. I thought that he read the ball very well, while playing as a loose man. That is, a few times he was further away from the ball drop than other players, but managed to either get there before them to take an intercept mark, or to effect a telling spoil. His spoiling was physically imposing, as well. As in, the players in front certainly felt him arriving at the contest. Perhaps what surprised me most was his kicking. He can effortlessly kick Malceski style darts. The probable downside from then, was that he didn't appear to have a huge tank, but I suspect that would have improved since then.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I watched him pretty closely in the VFL match against the Suns at Metricon last season. I thought that he read the ball very well, while playing as a loose man. That is, a few times he was further away from the ball drop than other players, but managed to either get there before them to take an intercept mark, or to effect a telling spoil. His spoiling was physically imposing, as well. As in, the players in front certainly felt him arriving at the contest. Perhaps what surprised me most was his kicking. He can effortlessly kick Malceski style darts. The probable downside from then, was that he didn't appear to have a huge tank, but I suspect that would have improved since then.
    Great to see Paddy finally on our Senior List. It will be interesting to see how he goes for the rest of pre-season and if he will be ready for an early selection. In any case, over the season he is sure to get a few games to see what he can do!

Welcome big Paddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Great to see Paddy finally on our Senior List. It will be interesting to see how he goes for the rest of pre-season and if he will be ready for an early selection. In any case, over the season he is sure to get a few games to see what he can do!

Welcome big Paddy!
    Yes, assuming that he's training with the defence, then there should be an opportunity or two for an early Swans debut.

He's definitely got physical presence. He has kind of a gruff demeanour too (unlike Tom).

Veterans List
    Hopefully someone on RWO will be able to count the number of times during matches they refer to Paddy as former Saint, Paddy McCartin or variations of such.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast