Page 141 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,692 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Veterans List
    Likely to be some movement both ways between the main and rookie lists. Naismith if he gets a contract is likely to be rookie listed.

More delistings after trade period.

We'll use three ND picks, what will end up around 16, 19 and 38-40 unless there's some surprising pick trading that involves us.

Lots of other clubs will be heavily into pick trading, Brisbane need a shed load of picks this draft, GC want 2023 picks as they have up to four academy players next year including a potential top 5. Next year touted to be a strong draft.

Twomey's latest top 30 is on the AFL website this morning

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Ah those mysterious flexible and as far as I know unpublished 2022 version of the rules. Maybe time for a coffee with Gil before he goes. Clarke, Bell and Ronke must be all in big trouble as they explore their very limited options.
    Don't ignore the talk that we have been speaking with Aaron Francis, though this might be linked to Melican's desire to explore trade options. Maybe we are only interested in Francis if Melican leaves.

There is some list flexibility in that we currently have a smaller senior list and larger rookie list. So we could nominally switch McLean and Wicks to the senior list without clearing anyone else from the senior list. Doing that would fly in the face of how the list has been managed in recent years.

If the club wants to retain Naismith he could almost certainly be placed on the rookie list. No other club is going to step in and take him.

I also think Sheather will need to occupy one of the Cat A rookie spots this year - that is unless the club applies for special dispensation to keep him as a Cat B rookie (something they have done for other clubs but, I think, for international recruits). That means that of our vacant spots, two will be Cat B spots and can only be filled by academy players who slip through to the rookie list (ie any we might consider drafting this year) or any other overseas players the club might sign (about which we've heard nothing).

Senior Player
    How's this for a (re)signing.

Papley signs a 5-year contract extension

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

It's weird how it goes from "I'm in no hurry" just a couple of days before the GF to this announcement today.

Great news. There have been few times this season, especially over the last couple of months, when I looked to the sky and thanked whoever was listening that Papley was still in red and white and not nasty navy blue.

Veterans List
    Papley is great news, nice words by Charlie Gardner as well.

So the push back of picks begins, Karl Amon to Hawks, pick 27 created as compo for Port.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    But do we blame the rucks? So many of the ruck contests are inconclusive. It's very rare for a ruckman to tap the ball
    straight into the arms of one of his mids. Mills/Parker/Rowy/Warner are no slouches and yet we seem to lose the centre
    bounces clearances a lot more times than we win them. Are our guys being creatively blocked by opposition teams on
    a consistent basis? If that's the case, we should be awake up to it.
    As a supporter/viewer, man it's frustrating to watch happen time and time again. Even if we could win 50% of them,
    I'd be okay with that. Be really interesting to see of CB stats over the whole season.
    It's because our players are too concerned with holding and blocking opponents rather than watching where the footy goes. We lack leg speed in there for quick clearance. Parker and Kennedy as strong as they are they are not good at quick effective clearances. In Kennedy's defence, at almost every centre bounce he contested was either held or his opponent had his arms almost around him waiting for him to take possession. I suggest we have Papley, Warner and Rowbottom at as many centre bounces as possible. Rowbottom for his doggedness and scrounging skills.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We can't compare the raw numbers in absolute terms as different teams will have a different number of centre bounces per game. We can use a proportionate scale of how many centre clearances v how many opposition centre clearances. The numbers looks like below

There doesn't appear to be any direct correlation between being good at centre clearances and being successful. The premiers are 2nd, but the other 3 prelim finalists are 9th, 15th, and 16th respectively. Even in the Grand Final, we were credited with winning the centre clearances 14-13. A better stat would be clearances leading to a score (inside 50 perhaps), or centre clearances where possession was kept after the clearing kick/handball but these don't appear to be publicly available.

Having said all that, I still think it is an area we can improve in for next year.
    It’s a big area we need to look at , we got beaten by 4 out of the top 5 for centre clearances . If you took out Chads centre clearances we would be even worse . I’ll say it again we need a big bull midfielder with height and speed but unfortunately they don’t grow on trees .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Just outstanding. He's simply elite.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Definitely put a smile on my face only Lloyd to lock away now

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We can't compare the raw numbers in absolute terms as different teams will have a different number of centre bounces per game. We can use a proportionate scale of how many centre clearances v how many opposition centre clearances. The numbers looks like below

There doesn't appear to be any direct correlation between being good at centre clearances and being successful. The premiers are 2nd, but the other 3 prelim finalists are 9th, 15th, and 16th respectively. Even in the Grand Final, we were credited with winning the centre clearances 14-13. A better stat would be clearances leading to a score (inside 50 perhaps), or centre clearances where possession was kept after the clearing kick/handball but these don't appear to be publicly available.

Having said all that, I still think it is an area we can improve in for next year.
    My GP is a Collingwood supporter and they bemoan, like we do, of their frustratingly poor centre clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Definitely put a smile on my face only Lloyd to lock away now

Great news about Papps without doubt. Recent reports suggest Lloyd will re-sign. If so, we will have successfully re-signed all of our key players which is a great performance and contrasts with many others. No Judas Dawsons this year!

Think we will definitely keep our 2 first rounders .

Phillipou
    Hewitt
    Busslinger
    Hayes
    Hustwaite
    Weddle
    Cowan

All look outstanding prospects that should fall around our picks

Ed Allan is one I would really like us to take a punt on plays inside and wing is tall and will put on size . Son of Ben Allan so has the pedigree . Would not surprise me if he went a lot higher than currently touted