Page 190 of 198 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194 ... LastLast
Results 2,269 to 2,280 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    An interview of rare quality, far superior to what they serve up on the AFL site.
    Agree. No ill informed, glib gotcha moments.Beatson has a few years left in the tank if he wants to keep going I reckon.

I’m curious. In an earlier interview Simon Dalrymple stated his and Beatson’s philosophy was to draft talent and trade for needs. Beatson in another interview referenced our forward stocks were basically Franklin and Reid who maybe have a year, and Logan. He was quite flat on Amartey and McLean, although noted Amartey’s injury issues but ultimately said he needs to get a move on.

So what does our forward line look like in 2024. I can’t see us nabbing a ready made KPF in the 2023 draft, and I don’t see anyone on our list that can partner Logan.

I don’t see us moving Paddy, nor do I see Tom going forward again. Amartey and McLean would be a great story but I’m not hanging my hat on them.

Any thoughts on trade targets for 2024?

You look at a team like the Dogs with Aaron Naughton, Jamarra UH, and the impressive, albeit young, Sam Darcy, could we nab someone from there.

Who is our next Locket, Hall, Franklin?

Georgiades?

Veterans List
    Georgiades still trying to cement a spot in Ports best 22.

Maybe we're going for a forward line of highly mobile, highly skilled mediums?

We now have 4 ruckmen, 13 KPPs including Blakey and Rampe, leaving 27 'other' players. This seems a good positional distribution.

We have exposure in both age demographic and quality in KPP, even though the total numbers are more than sufficient. It's the area we have the most uncertainty about and we will just have to wait and see how things pan out. We are facing retirements from Franklin next year and Reid and Rampe in 1 or 2 years. Gould, Francis, Amartey and McLean will likely shape our recruiting for 2023. If 2 can reach a high quality AFL level, then we should be covered in this area.

We have quantity, quality and a great age demographic in all other positions. So for the 3rd year running, I see a 2023 focus on raising the quality of our KPPs to cover for the KP quality players facing impending retirement. Adding one more high quality KPP may be enough to complete our list. They are hard to get and expensive to boot.

We go into 2023 with some good draft capital for a team in premiership contention. We should be able to to attract a quality KPP or get ourselves into a good position to draft one.

Our list is in good shape, but the competition at the top is fierce and even a top 8 finish is far from assured. Game plan and ability to execute the game plan with be the key finished high up the ladder.

We are sitting 13th in player age, which is quite good considering where we finished. We are a younger team than GC. Hawthorn are 18th, which usually leads to a bottom 4 finish, which bodes well for our draft hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    I’m curious. In an earlier interview Simon Dalrymple stated his and Beatson’s philosophy was to draft talent and trade for needs. Beatson in another interview referenced our forward stocks were basically Franklin and Reid who maybe have a year, and Logan. He was quite flat on Amartey and McLean, although noted Amartey’s injury issues but ultimately said he needs to get a move on.

So what does our forward line look like in 2024. I can’t see us nabbing a ready made KPF in the 2023 draft, and I don’t see anyone on our list that can partner Logan.

I don’t see us moving Paddy, nor do I see Tom going forward again. Amartey and McLean would be a great story but I’m not hanging my hat on them.

Any thoughts on trade targets for 2024?

You look at a team like the Dogs with Aaron Naughton, Jamarra UH, and the impressive, albeit young, Sam Darcy, could we nab someone from there.

Who is our next Locket, Hall, Franklin?
    And now that they've brought in Lobb, who plays mainly as a forward, their KPF depth does seem a bit excessive. Would certainly like it if JUH came our way.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Would certainly like it if JUH came our way.
    Overrated. More interested in social media and squiring around high profile young ladies. The Bernard Tomic of AFL
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And now that they've brought in Lobb, who plays mainly as a forward, their KPF depth does seem a bit excessive. Would certainly like it if JUH came our way.
    I think JUH is the least appealing but most gettable of Darcy, Naughton and him. Darcy is a father-son and in my view perhaps the best prospect. I don't see him going anywhere. Naughton is pretty established there. JUH on the other hand hasn't gotten as much love as perhaps he thinks he deserves. Nor does he have the runs on the board yet - but he's still early in his career.

However, a marking forward like Naughton or either King seems like a better complement for Logan. Saints have a good track record of developing our KPFs - maybe Max King could be our guy.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Overrated. More interested in social media and squiring around high profile young ladies. The Bernard Tomic of AFL
    LOL. Not a big wrap TBC!

just asking:

If we didnt have the academy players of Gulden, BJ, Blakey, Mills, Heeney etc would the current mechanisms for attracting players to the Swans have us back outside the top10 ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    just asking:

If we didnt have the academy players of Gulden, BJ, Blakey, Mills, Heeney etc would the current mechanisms for attracting players to the Swans have us back outside the top10 ?
    What current mechanisms?

85% of all draftees came from Vic, SA and WA combined

Tas, NT, NSW, QLD make up the remaining 15%

Do we have enough pathways/ mechanisms we can trigger to encourage players to nsw and keep them here?

It appears if we didn't have the talent that has filtered down from our self funded Academy we would be seriously below par and struggle to make a squad that could compete