Page 193 of 198 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197 ... LastLast
Results 2,305 to 2,316 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes. Interesting that he noted the hardness with which the team trained.
    Yes....it has me confident we will see the best of Aaron Francis, which I hope is good enough to make us better.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes....it has me confident we will see the best of Aaron Francis, which I hope is good enough to make us better.
    He was a first round draft pick so if he produces that we would have one hell of a player. I hope he produces this against Essendon lol

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Here’s a question, possibly a dumb one, but … why was Gulden only a pick 32 and Campbell pick 5, I never understood it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Here’s a question, possibly a dumb one, but … why was Gulden only a pick 32 and Campbell pick 5, I never understood it.
    Seems very odd in hindsight

If I recall, they didn't like that Gulden was short. Ridiculous.

I don’t understand why Campbell was rated so highly either (I know it’s early days)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Not dumb but let me give my best shot.

Campbell has elite traits. When he comes good, he will come good very quickly. And clubs draft on a 10 year horizon. So even though he doesn’t yet have the pure tank of an AFL player, once he does, look out. And for those wondering about his trajectory so far, it’s truly the exceptions to the rule that go big in their first two years.

As for Errol, he clearly got marked down for size. Plus, there’s another factor - and I think Liz once touched on a bit of this - other sides would have watched him in u18s or Sydney club footy in his draft year and seen a very good IQ, kick and player. But the Swans would have seen him up close, at times at training among AFL players, and seen his ability to anticipate things, and benefit from their ability to anticipate him. For example, in an under 18 game, would a player he was wanting to kick to always run to the right spot? Not necessarily, so his footy IQ and kicking wouldn’t have shone through as much.

One thing I’d say in comparing the two. This year, we saw Errol get closer towards his ceiling - probably 80 percent. Campbell is still a long way from his. I actually think he’s shown some good stuff at times but has so far lacked the consistency and tank. But I reckon he’ll be fine.

In all likelihood, he was taken at very slight overs and Errol was definitely taken at unders. But they’ll both be beauties.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Swans had to take Campbell at pick 5 or lose him to Hawthorn who bid for him at that pick. So you need to ask Hawthorn your question.

I suspect Gulden lasting to pick 32 was an unexpected bonus for the Swans.

And Campbell did win a Rising Star nomination in Round 2 (after Gulden’s win in Round 1).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Not dumb but let me give my best shot.

Campbell has elite traits. When he comes good, he will come good very quickly. And clubs draft on a 10 year horizon. So even though he doesn’t yet have the pure tank of an AFL player, once he does, look out. And for those wondering about his trajectory so far, it’s truly the exceptions to the rule that go big in their first two years.

As for Errol, he clearly got marked down for size. Plus, there’s another factor - and I think Liz once touched on a bit of this - other sides would have watched him in u18s or Sydney club footy in his draft year and seen a very good IQ, kick and player. But the Swans would have seen him up close, at times at training among AFL players, and seen his ability to anticipate things, and benefit from their ability to anticipate him. For example, in an under 18 game, would a player he was wanting to kick to always run to the right spot? Not necessarily, so his footy IQ and kicking wouldn’t have shone through as much.

One thing I’d say in comparing the two. This year, we saw Errol get closer towards his ceiling - probably 80 percent. Campbell is still a long way from his. I actually think he’s shown some good stuff at times but has so far lacked the consistency and tank. But I reckon he’ll be fine.

In all likelihood, he was taken at very slight overs and Errol was definitely taken at unders. But they’ll both be beauties.
    Good post.

An interesting question for Kinnear: where was Gulden placed on the Swans' draft rankings for that draft?

Thanks for your thoughtful responses

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Someone reported on that Campbell came 2nd or 3rd last in the recent tim trial, so it seems likely the issue with his tank might continue into the 2023 season.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Good post.

An interesting question for Kinnear: where was Gulden placed on the Swans' draft rankings for that draft?
    I don’t know exactly where we placed him, but we did think a bid around the three picks between Geelong and Melbourne in the very early 20s was more likely.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say