Page 194 of 198 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198 LastLast
Results 2,317 to 2,328 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I don’t know exactly where we placed him, but we did think a bid around the three picks between Geelong and Melbourne in the very early 20s was more likely.
    Same. I remember some discussion of us being ready/expecting to bid on him round picks 21 to 24.

What I see with Gulden is a player that can see the shape and movement 3 steps ahead of a play unfolding in attack or defence

What I see with Campbell is an exceptionally dangerous passer of the ball. His kick is absolutely elite. I have been amazed at the few times I have seen him train threading his passes. Just deadly.

It's a little tricky to secanrio plan their future roles but the very first time I saw Campbell I thought Lloyd's replacement with the ability to push forward on give and go

Gulden I immediately liked as HFF setting up pur forwards

Could they play either side at HFF in years to come a little like Richmond had in height and speed up front in their dominant seasons ?

If things don't work with our KPP stocks next year, a player worth looking at is Harry Himmelberg, who will be a free agent. Just thinking of someone who could partner with Logan McDonald if none of the current options pan out, and wouldn't be in the excessive salary range.

I'm still hoping that it works out with our current lot, Amartey, McLean, Francis, etc., plus we draft a top KPF prospect in the 2023 draft, considering we are sitting with quite a good draft hand.

Looking at our 2023 list, I feel we could be a top 8 AFL team choosing from 28 to 30 players, with some fairly good young prospects after that. The depth is looking good at this point.

A couple of things to help us move up to the top of heap would be for Warner to become an AA midfielder and Heeney to show he's the best player in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm still hoping that it works out with our current lot, Amartey, McLean, Francis, etc., plus we draft a top KPF prospect in the 2023 draft, considering we are sitting with quite a good draft hand.
    Unfortunately it will cost us to trade forward in the next draft in order to snaffle a high quality KPF, and we may not have sufficient capital without dipping into our future picks. However, at this very early stage Archer Reid is the one I have my eye on. Tall. Vic Country. Late birthday. Played for Vic Country as a bottom ager.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I still have hopes that Amartey will be a key marking full forward with Logan being the CHF because of his mobility and kicking. I don't see McLean in the future for key forward role. With Sam and Buddy playing 2023 as their last year, we do need another key position forward, perhaps Francis will develop into that role but at this stage not holding my breath. Maybe as some have said, Blakey will develop into that mobile key forward.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I still have hopes that Amartey will be a key marking full forward with Logan being the CHF because of his mobility and kicking. I don't see McLean in the future for key forward role. With Sam and Buddy playing 2023 as their last year, we do need another key position forward, perhaps Francis will develop into that role but at this stage not holding my breath. Maybe as some have said, Blakey will develop into that mobile key forward.
    The distinction between FF and CHF has faded form many teams, with forward shuffling positions and who plays out of the goal square. If you have a distinctive forward combo, like Geelong's Hawkins and Cameron, you still do see that standard formation.

I've said the same about Blakey, and we have a #1 forward draft pick playing as a defender. So we do have options on board to form a strong forward line even without Amartey and McLean. It's easier to fill defender roles than forwards, I also think that both Gould and Francis will be okay in defence. So we have some coverage to transition to over the next couple of years.

With KPP retirements pending, there's always some apprehension about how the transition will go. Given that we have the rest of the ground covered, we can focus the next couple of years on finding the a good solution. It's not like we are missing loads of players. Just one more high quality tall should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Unfortunately it will cost us to trade forward in the next draft in order to snaffle a high quality KPF, and we may not have sufficient capital without dipping into our future picks. However, at this very early stage Archer Reid is the one I have my eye on. Tall. Vic Country. Late birthday. Played for Vic Country as a bottom ager.
    List managers follow players for years. I get the feeling they think that 2023 is the year to get a good tall. We've passed on them in the past 2 drafts. If the draft is strong, there should be some good KPPs that will be available in the teens. I wouldn't be against trading in our 2023 and 2024 first rounders if it meant getting into the top part of the draft with a good shot at the player we want. I think we have enough youth to do it.

I mentioned Harry Himmelberg before to imply that we didn't need a superstar forward, only a very competent one. I believe there are a lot of RWOers who like Himmelberg. He's got some fans on here. I think this is the fires time I've brought him up as a possible target, so I might be joining an existing bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I mentioned Harry Himmelberg before to imply that we didn't need a superstar forward, only a very competent one. I believe there are a lot of RWOers who like Himmelberg. He's got some fans on here. I think this is the fires time I've brought him up as a possible target, so I might be joining an existing bandwagon.

Personally, I really like Blakey just where he is and I don't want to see him shifted forward. Unless being shifted forward means spending a bit more time on the wing. Last season, probably the thing that I enjoyed most, was seeing Blakey take off from defence at full speed, even though he may not have been entirely sure where he was going. Often, that dare would result in a very effective counterattack. He's also wins a lot his defensive contests against a medium forward or a third tall.

Whereas, I don't he'll ever have the upper body strength to play key forward, and he might be wasted playing forward flank. When he originally played in attack, I used to often think that he could tear a game apart if he got 15 or 20 possessions, but he usually only got 5-10. Now playing in defence, his possession count is consistently higher and he does occasionally tear a game apart.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to write Reid off. 2023 might be his last season but I reckon he's every chance to go on.

The club has said we didn't draft Francis to play forward so I'm taking them at their word, despite his experience in that department.

I'm with deja in not thinking Blakey is the answer forward. It took a long while but Blakey has found a role he excels at and that I think he still has room to further improve at. I wouldn't rule out him ever playing forward but I would hope such a move is at least 5 years away, when he has learned a lot more and got a much more seasoned body.

I don't have much to say about Himmelberg although I don't mind the idea of getting a competent, non-superstar KPF. However they are all hard to come by (possibly Dan McStay excepted). Mabior Chol was a good get (for the Suns) in this department.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I've always liked Himmelberg, not because he's the greatest forward in the game - but he's bloody dependable, and he'd be a natural complement to Logan.

He has a taste for the hard, bullocking, crash packing work; can take a good grab; has good skills and whilst he's not the greatest set shot technically, is sound enough and the results are there. (And as he showed last year, he's versatile enough to occasionally go down back and do well). I reckon his willingness to take on the grunt work would work well alongside Logan's natural and building ability to roam far and wide.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I've said before that McLean's position is dependant on his usefulness to the game plan - which might also depend on the matchups for a particular team.

McLean is barely a ruck relief option; and lacks mobility.

BUT he is a very strong contented mark, and a very reliable and accurate goal kicker.

Therefore, sitting him in the goal square with a limited range allows:

* plenty of space for the more mobile talls (say McDonald and Armarty)
    * a reliable target if the above talls are well covered
    * a Predictable front and centre location for Papley and other smalls
    * and, Heaney and Haywood are always dangerous in the forward 1/4 and increasingly up field.

I love the fast game plan we have developed over the past few years. It has been effective and fun to watch. But I do see occasions where Plan B would be effective both for scoring, and for maintaining pressure at the right end of the field.