Page 55 of 198 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Matt Crouch to dropped after 28 disposals and 7 clearances, Nicksy doesn’t seem to want to play him - would you trade Rowbottom for Crouch?
    Absolutely not. Crouch runs around getting often meaningless possessions and usually does nothing with the ball when he has it. If we want that style of player in our midfield we might as well play Lewis Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Part of those numbers is going to be a reflection of time. Freo joined the AFL in 1995, Port in 1997 but GWS not until 2012.
    No doubt.

However, if we extrapolate:

• the Crows / Power rivalry is 2.5x older than the Swans GW$. There have 3x more player movement between Crows/Power than Swans/GW$

• the Eagles / Dickers rivalry is 2.7x older than the Swans GW$. There have 5.5x more player movement between Eagles/Freo than Swans/GW$

And unlike the SA/WA player movements, NSW has been a one way exodus thus far.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Absolutely not. Crouch runs around getting often meaningless possessions and usually does nothing with the ball when he has it. If we want that style of player in our midfield we might as well play Lewis Taylor.
    Ouch. There was an interesting article about the Crows midfield extolling the efforts of Dawson that noted the piffling "metres gained per possession" of each of Crouch, Laird and (I think) Keays. While they were all bad, I think Crouch's was less than 10m per possession - not very compelling.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    CROWS / POWER
    David Brown 

Ian Downsborough 

Brett Chalmers 

Matthew Bode 

Brad Symes
    Billy Frampton

EAGLES / FREO
    Daniel Metropolis
    Trent Carroll
    David Hynes
    Tony Godden
    Brendan Fewster
    Greg Harding
    Jarrod Schofield
    Scotty Watters
    Dale Kickett
    Brendan Krummel
    Brendon Retzlaff

SWANS / GW$
    Jed Lamb
    Shane Mumford

I’m not including players who only played reserves with one of the cross-town rivals (eg Cunningham, I think WC/Freo have some eg Burton)
    Is it fair to say the majority of these were not top end/elite players at the time of the trade? Also, were some of the above delistings?

Mumford was decent but he was pushed out by us recruiting Franklin and then Tippett and he could have ended up anywhere as he was with Geelong before he was with us.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Ouch. There was an interesting article about the Crows midfield extolling the efforts of Dawson that noted the piffling "metres gained per possession" of each of Crouch, Laird and (I think) Keays. While they were all bad, I think Crouch's was less than 10m per possession - not very compelling.
    There’s a reason when Crouch tried to shop himself around - was it last year or the year before - there were No takers
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Thats not his job ! He is inside mid , they are there to win the ball . Get it in the coalface and get it to outside . You judge the outside mids by metres gained per possession . Crouch feeds it to his outside players , does his job well , Nicks has stuffed this one

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Thats not his job ! He is inside mid , they are there to win the ball . Get it in the coalface and get it to outside . You judge the outside mids by metres gained per possession . Crouch feeds it to his outside players , does his job well , Nicks has stuffed this one
    Crouch is a very consistent ball winner, averaging 27 disposals, with one 24 disposal game being his lowest of the year. Yet this is not the first time Nicks has dropped him. Despite his ball winning ability, the Crows fans on Big Footy think he's a dud and nearly all wanted him to be dropped.

But this only goes to show how little people know in Adelaide, I guess. I've actually never been to Adelaide, so I'm really not qualified to comment on this point.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Crouch is a very consistent ball winner, averaging 27 disposals, with one 24 disposal game being his lowest of the year. Yet this is not the first time Nicks has dropped him. Despite his ball winning ability, the Crows fans on Big Footy think he's a dud and nearly all wanted him to be dropped.

But this only goes to show how little people know in Adelaide, I guess. I've actually never been to Adelaide, so I'm really not qualified to comment on this point.
    They are wrong . He was All australian . For a reason. Crows are rebuilding , not surprising they want out with the old in with the new . They have forgotten what it means to be a winning team , it means having some players who arent flashy but get #### done !

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    They are wrong . He was All australian . For a reason. Crows are rebuilding , not surprising they want out with the old in with the new . They have forgotten what it means to be a winning team , it means having some players who arent flashy but get #### done !
    The media have gone after a few midfielders who rack up possessions but don't make enough impact, or not working hard enough, in their opinion. Zach Merrett of Essendon comes to mind. And Tom Mitchell this year. It's hard to know about players from another club, because we tend not to watch them in such detail as we do our own club's players. Some of Brisbane's mids, other than Neale, have also taken a bit of flack on this issue now that they've been losing more often.

On RWO, I can only think of Jake Lloyd getting criticism for getting cheap possessions. The numbers really don't matter. It's pretty obvious that he's doing an important job in our defence. JPK was our big ball winner over the past dozen years, but no one has ever suggested he got cheap possessions.

I don't know what it is about Matt Crouch that has him in such poor standing at his club.

Suspended by the MRP
    The media have gone after a few midfielders who rack up possessions but don't make enough impact, or not working hard enough, in their opinion. Zach Merrett of Essendon comes to mind. And Tom Mitchell this year. It's hard to know about players from another club, because we tend not to watch them in such detail as we do our own club's players. Some of Brisbane's mids, other than Neale, have also taken a bit of flack on this issue now that they've been losing more often.

On RWO, I can only think of Jake Lloyd getting criticism for getting cheap possessions. The numbers really don't matter. It's pretty obvious that he's doing an important job in our defence. JPK was our big ball winner over the past dozen years, but no one has ever suggested he got cheap possessions.

I don't know what it is about Matt Crouch that has him in such poor standing at his club.
    Retirement , gives you enough time to watch enough games .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    No doubt.

However, if we extrapolate:

• the Crows / Power rivalry is 2.5x older than the Swans GW$. There have 3x more player movement between Crows/Power than Swans/GW$

• the Eagles / Dickers rivalry is 2.7x older than the Swans GW$. There have 5.5x more player movement between Eagles/Freo than Swans/GW$

And unlike the SA/WA player movements, NSW has been a one way exodus thus far.
    Yes, but aren't the WA players just trapped over there and can't get back to civilization. With the Covid numbers going back up again,
    hopefully Harley and co have a proper evacuation plan in place for our guys for immediately after the game on Saturday otherwise
    they might be detained and end up as the Perth Swans or something. You know there is all this muttering about a third team over there.

Just to get the numbers right: Only 2 spots would be open as our list was full after adding Paddy, and Naismith was placed on the inactive list to open a spot used for HHK.

It's hard to come up with 8-10 players without losing the likes of Lloyd and Cunningham to free agency.

Looking at our list from a spots available and prospects angle, we have a lot of reserves players with good prospects, but not enough open spots for the AFL side. Even taking into consideration the over 30 brigade, it's only a trickle set to leave the club compared to the numbers coming in through the a draft, where we've been generating 3+ good prospects a year.

• JPK and Sinclair are no longer regulars in he senior side, and will almost surely retire this year.
    • Reid will only be 31next year and could be good for another 2 or 3 seasons if he stays off the injury list.
    • Buddy may well play on, but unlikely after next year.
    • We have a backup ruckman to take over from Hickey in a few years.
    • We need to keep Gould on our list to eventually replace Rampe. It would be a shame to lose him without giving him a shot at AFL level. It's hard to have a read on this one, but I would understand if Gould wanted to look for an opportunity elsewhere, so we need to come up with something to keep him on the list.

I only see around 6 players retiring over the next 3 drafts, and we already have replacements on our list for all of them, so the next 3 drafts should see around 9 players added for depth. This is very positive for the organic growth of the squad.

I can see us taking 5 players in the draft this year; 3 in the ND and 2 in the rookie draft, which might both come from our academy, maybe Anderson and Webster.

The 5 players, excluding Naismith, that I can see going out are JPK, Sinclair, BOC, Taylor and either Bell or COR. I would like to hold onto Ronke and Clarke, but they would have to be in the mix as well. I'm also assuming that we hold on to Gould and Buddy stays on with us.

Everyone who played on Saturday could stay on and play for us next year, although there are doubts on several of them. We don't need to lose any of them to make room for 5 new additions.

The players that did not play in that game who I think are good prospects and still in early development are (10): McDonald, Campbell, Sheldrick, Roberts, HHK, Gould, Sheather, Corey Warner, McLean and McAndrew.
    Depth players are ( 4): Cunningham (medisub), Ronke, Wicks, Melican.
    Unlikely to make it: Rankin

There's usually some unprojected player movement, so this is just how things might stand around 3 months before the trading season. I think the list looks healthy, with some good depth, a lot of youth in early development and good draft hand with 2 firs rounders and a pick in the 30s to add this year.

This situation calls for a limited list turnover, looking for quality more than quantity. Three's a backlog of decent prospects building up that need to go through a reasonable development cycle before piling on too many players just to fill out the numbers. There should be a focus on KPPs, because that is where we look the most vulnerable.
    Seems a very accurate analysis. Perhaps I wouldn't be quite so hard on Rankin? While I agree that he's been a bit disappointing, he does do some good things and he should improve if he has a healthy pre-season. And I'm sort of hoping that O'Connor can save his career, over the next couple of months; as he's just starting to look like he understands the game, after finally getting some continuous football.

Wouldn't be adverse to a bit of minor trading. For instance, if someone like McLean or Melican, decide that they could get more AFL game time elsewhere, then it might be mutually beneficial to trade them for a higher draft pick. I'd be happy if a pick in the high teens, could be bumped up half a dozen places or so, then using that pick to draft the best available key position player. A player that might take a couple of years to develop into a full-time AFL player, but who's likely to be an upgrade in the long term.