Page 8 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Six-year deal for Isaac Heeney. Free agent off the table. Signed to 2028. Monster result for Sydney

Mitch Cleary on Twitter: "Six-year deal for Isaac Heeney. Free agent off the table. Signed to 2028. Monster result for Sydney"
    Well that was never really in doubt, Heeney was never going anywhere.....but the six year length is brilliant.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...blood-for-life

Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    Love this club.

Well done all who put this together.

Really great to have kids come to the club through the Academy and have genuine lifelong passion.
    Thank you.

You're very kind.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    https://www.zerohanger.com/swans-tab...ys-open-98406/

Talks have begun with Logan with the Swans offering a 4-year extension. The above article clearly demonstrates his agent leveraging by using the options of the 2 WA teams as a factor in the decision. Good to see the Swans are on the front foot and showing how keen they are to keep him which is all we can do i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post

Talks have begun with Logan with the Swans offering a 4-year extension. The above article clearly demonstrates his agent leveraging by using the options of the 2 WA teams as a factor in the decision. Good to see the Swans are on the front foot and showing how keen they are to keep him which is all we can do i suppose.
    I see this as a positive development brought about through Heeney's early re-signing (being the biggest contract to seal), which enables club to begin earnestly deal with other out of contract players in McInery, Florent, Lloyd plus Buddy & JPK if they wish to continue another year.

Hope that the recruitment of the other WA boys (including Don Pyke) along with mate ships forged plus WA now introducing covid restrictions, will have helped reduced Logan's flight risk. 4 year offer signals how serious the club values Logan in the medium term at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post

Loved reading McDonald’s manager repeatedly talking about his option to go back to WA if he wants to and getting as much as his ceiling potential might be worth
    That’s obviously his job but discretion might be a better approach until Logan is actually ready to jump ship. Can’t see how it benefits Logan to have his negotiations play out publicly. That’s never been the Swans way

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Loved reading McDonald’s manager repeatedly talking about his option to go back to WA if he wants to and getting as much as his ceiling potential might be worth
    That’s obviously his job but discretion might be a better approach until Logan is actually ready to jump ship. Can’t see how it benefits Logan to have his negotiations play out publicly. That’s never been the Swans way
    I think his manager is new to the business, you don't need to air those thoughts in public, our contract negotiators don't take their cue from outside the four walls of the Swans. Tacky to be floating the go home factor before the start of his second season. puts pressure now on McDonald to actually show a lot more this year.

Of course we want to extend Logan’s contract, as he has heaps of potential. But the reality is that he is yet to establish himself in the team, so it seems silly for his agent to talk about the go home factor. Forget that he was an early pick for the moment- let’s see how he goes this year. If he doesn’t deliver to expectations, he can go home as far as I’m concerned. Same goes for any other player- we have to be tough but fair! Potential doesn’t win flags.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Of course we want to extend Logan’s contract, as he has heaps of potential. But the reality is that he is yet to establish himself in the team, so it seems silly for his agent to talk about the go home factor. Forget that he was an early pick for the moment- let’s see how he goes this year. If he doesn’t deliver to expectations, he can go home as far as I’m concerned. Same goes for any other player- we have to be tough but fair! Potential doesn’t win flags.
    I guess it depends on what the expectations are for a young, developing KPF.

If people expect him to play every game and kick 40 goals, they'll be disappointed. That's just not usually the experience of second year KPFs. If he improves from last year and plays about 15 or so games and kicks around 25 goals, that's fair enough for me. It says he's on track.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    From reading the quotes of his Manager, it appears that his first preference is to stay at the Swans but the Manager wants to extract the best possible deal for him. Nothing unusual there. Fingers crossed!

"It’s quite unusual to get a four-year offer as your first extension, but we believe we know where he’s going to get to and it’s my job to make sure that he’s locked in for the right price for that."

It's always a bit hit and miss with key forwards taken with high draft picks. For a variety of reasons, many have not lived up to potential in recent times. One just had to look at Tom Boyd, Jono Patton, Josh Schache and even our own PMac to see how hit and miss it is.

LMac has potential, no doubt but let's not sell the farm to keep him.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think agents do their clients any favour by going after bloated contracts before a player has had a chance to establish themselves. The agent's job is to maximise a client's earning potential over the length of their career. Forcing clubs to pay overs based on potential, not reality, surely puts a huge amount of pressure on that young player, and also potentially squeezes the club's salary cap to the point where the list as a whole suffers.

We see this at Gold Coast, where any high pick (and most of their draftees tend to be high picks due to the constant shuffling of players through that club) gets an extension on big money almost as soon as they walk through the door. And this has resulted in the Gold Coast being under constant salary cap pressure despite results that suggest they should be in anything but that situation.

I don't pretend to know exactly what caused Tom Boyd to retire so early, but it's easy to imagine that the enormous contract on which he was lured to the Western Bulldogs at least contributed to the pressure to perform at a level he wasn't yet ready to.

Suspended by the MRP
    Said this last week , its his agent . Logan wants to stay and will stay , manager will be a pain in the rear over it , its his job