Page 192 of 198 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196 ... LastLast
Results 2,293 to 2,304 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I understand how important they are when marketing to the theatre goers, but between the three of them how many flags have we won? 1 from 5 ?
    Gotta make you wonder how essential they are in winning flags. Certainly If you listen to the interview, Kinnear raises doubts about the future of key forwards.
    We seem to have won just as many flags with a marque forward as without.
    Maybe we should have thought a bit more deeply about 2012, rather than dismissing it as a fluke and spending big?
    I reckon the 6-6-6 rule means the power forwards are valuable now as they can mark the ball a lot easier than in 2012.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    I reckon the 6-6-6 rule means the power forwards are valuable now as they can mark the ball a lot easier than in 2012.
    That was the reasoning for the rule change, yet Kinnears interview casts doubt on its effect. It's only a small sample size, but we seem to be seeing more goals, but more goals to keys?

I think what KB said is partly true

Yes some key forwards back in the day got those 100 goals and were unstoppable

But 3 goals 4 and 14 disposals by Hawkins significantly contributed when it mattered most on sept 24h 2022 ......especially his score involvement

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Lizard could becomath the Jezza Cameron Bud style almost half forward roaming 2024ish?

Can't see him staying as a HBF all his caeer
    I can, in that some blokes need the game simplified for them, and playing behind the ball does that.

Having said that, I felt opposition sides did a good job of dragging Blakey deep and away from the ball late in the year and I wonder if part of the thinking behind the recruitment of Francis was to free Blakey up to play as a true running half back - which was where he was so devastating at times.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

There’s an unpaywalled article on the Mongrel Punt looking back at the 2018 draft …

We are one of only two clubs to get an A grade. A lot of Cs and Ds reminds you that it’s an in exact process

The (Almost) Five-Year Draft Grades - 2018 - The Mongrel Punt

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There’s an unpaywalled article on the Mongrel Punt looking back at the 2018 draft …

We are one of only two clubs to get an A grade. A lot of Cs and Ds reminds you that it’s an in exact process

The (Almost) Five-Year Draft Grades - 2018 - The Mongrel Punt
    Thanks for sharing MW. I don't know why it's called the (Almost) Five-Year Draft Grades. Wouldn't it have been completely accurate to just call it the 4 year Draft Grades?

Interesting (and pleasing) to see Geelong rated in the bottom 5 given how vaunted those recruiters are. And just delightful to see Hawthorn equal last.

It was definitely one of a number of good drafts we've had although perhaps we got the most bang for our buck? In terms of a single pick Chad and Errol are our best bang for buck picks in recent years.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    After listening to KB in that interview that Ludwig posted (20min chat) it just got me thinking that no matter how creative we are or one step ahead in bending the different pathways to us ..........we would be struggling against the "go home" factor without the Academy

Even worse our struggle against the "stay home" factor would look even worse.

"Go home" ie the exodus we see the Suns and GWS deal with more heavily than us each year.

"Stay home" we rarely can do a Geelong strategy and recruit every other year with very experienced players from neat by Victorian clubs ........we don't really have access to ie Issac Smith just easing across to the Cats and having a significant influence on their success.

So my concern is that if we go through a lean patch again with the Academy that will have quite an impact on our recruitment and talent pool. Equally if it is overflowing with talent we are in a string position.

I suppose having Leon over seeing the Academy (an ex afl coach) shows how serious we are in taking this system to the next level.
    I'm sure the Cats tell local players that if they geg drafted to another club that if successful there they will draft them back in 2-4 years.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    I tend to agree. We will lose 50+ goals with buddy. We have plenty of players getting reasonable money but my assumption is the likes of Heeney and Mills would be under what they could get elsewhere. Clubs like Richmond, Geelong etc have paid good money for some of their recruits.

I like the way Naughton plays. He was being put down back a bit last year and plenty of talk about making that move permanent. He may not be too keen on that. Would be tough to get over him here over the WA clubs but we could do worse.

Will be interesting to see if they look to give lizard another go. I can’t see them putting Paddy forward but you never know.
    In actual fact when Bud does not play others step up. Every game he has not played has been good. We have notlat anything, not one match. So, even though he kicks 50 we can fill that gap and several players step up. Having him as our main scorer just makes us predictable. When he doesn't play we are more random.

I am not saying he is not a good player. He is probably the best player ever to play. But as time moves on so do we need to mice on and look at life after Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I understand how important they are when marketing, especially to the theatre goers, but between the three of them how many flags have we won? 1 from 5 ?
    Gotta make you wonder how essential they are in winning flags. Certainly If you listen to the interview, Kinnear raises doubts about the future of key forwards.
    We seem to have won just as many flags with a marque forward as without.
    Maybe we should have thought a bit more deeply about 2012, rather than assuming it was a fluke and spending big? It certainly says the absence of a marque key forward doesn't preclude a flag.
    Yes LRT and Adam Goodes were the two tall forwards. LRT as the defensive forward

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    In actual fact when Bud does not play others step up. Every game he has not played has been good. We have notlat anything, not one match. So, even though he kicks 50 we can fill that gap and several players step up. Having him as our main scorer just makes us predictable. When he doesn't play we are more random.

I am not saying he is not a good player. He is probably the best player ever to play. But as time moves on so do we need to mice on and look at life after Bud
    I agree with this. Even though KB connected Franklin's retirement to losing 50 goals, our offence seems to work just as well without him. It's hard for the younger forwards to make much progress with Franklin in the side. He demands so much attention, the others can't play their natural game, like they would in the VFL.

I got the feeling that KB likes a tall forward focus to an offence, yet acknowledged that the game was going in a different direction. We have been drafting in a way that fits an offence that's focused on a turnover and rebound game. It's a variation of the pre-Lynch Richmond game, but less frenetic and with more precision.

I don't know if it was Longmire's idea to switch gears on the game plan, but he's been trying to speed up our game for quite a while, although we didn't have enough weapons to pull it off until now. We still need to coordinate and execute well to be successful and stay in the top 4.

We have a lot of young players to integrate into the team and it's not clear what the best combination is going to be, especially with the draftees we have taken the past couple of years.

Veterans List
    I watched this hoping to feel encouraged by what I heard.....and I was.

Aaron Francis' first week at the Sydney Swans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I watched this hoping to feel encouraged by what I heard.....and I was.

Aaron Francis' first week at the Sydney Swans
    Yes. Interesting that he noted the hardness with which the team trained.