Page 14 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2022

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Roberts may have been tired, but Collis really sold him into trouble and I'm not sure he had much prior? And overall, I thought he was one of our best. Gould had a good second half, and O'Connor improved, after our defence was outplayed in the second quarter. Taylor spoilt an otherwise good game, by not kicking a very gettable goal in the last and then giving away a dumb 50, that got them right back in it.

Our attack wasn't great in the last, but there was some good tackling efforts from Sheather, Sheldrick and Shipley (I feel like I want to make a joke with that alliteration, but it would undoubtedly be pretty lame). Bit of a shame we couldn't hang on, but as you say, it should be a learning experience.

Overall, not sure if anyone was obviously our best, but Clarke, Bell, Roberts and possibly McDonald would be in the conversation. I quite liked Ladhams, but more for his second efforts to put pressure on rather than his ruck work. And I think watching McAndrew develop will be fun.
    I think you are right naming Clarke in our best - to be honest I think he was our only 4 qtr performer but can't see him getting a game without a few injuries. One thing I will say about him - he doesn't give up and keeps giving 100%.

McAndrew is going to be interesting. He is a very mobile giant - he may end up a key forward rather than a ruck - even at 210cm.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Roberts may have been tired, but Collis really sold him into trouble and I'm not sure he had much prior? And overall, I thought he was one of our best. Gould had a good second half, and O'Connor improved, after our defence was outplayed in the second quarter. Taylor spoilt an otherwise good game, by not kicking a very gettable goal in the last and then giving away a dumb 50, that got them right back in it.

Our attack wasn't great in the last, but there was some good tackling efforts from Sheather, Sheldrick and Shipley (I feel like I want to make a joke with that alliteration, but it would undoubtedly be pretty lame). Bit of a shame we couldn't hang on, but as you say, it should be a learning experience.

Overall, not sure if anyone was obviously our best, but Clarke, Bell, Roberts and possibly McDonald would be in the conversation. I quite liked Ladhams, but more for his second efforts to put pressure on rather than his ruck work. And I think watching McAndrew develop will be fun.
    That kind of sums up Taylor - just lacks psychological discipline. Takes his foot off the pedal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    I think you are right naming Clarke in our best - to be honest I think he was our only 4 qtr performer but can't see him getting a game without a few injuries. One thing I will say about him - he doesn't give up and keeps giving 100%.

McAndrew is going to be interesting. He is a very mobile giant - he may end up a key forward rather than a ruck - even at 210cm.
    Maybe the seniors better keep practicing the bomb it forward at all costs approach.... Might actually have someone for which that approach is kicking to advantage

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Happy to see Logan get a bit of the ball and kick a few majors. So far in seniors, I feel he gets a bit lost, possibly deferring too much to Buddy and others in our F50. He's actually got good mobility and is a good field kick so when he comes back into our AFL team, I'd like to see him given more of a license to roam. In particular, when we are coming out of defence, he would be a good marking target, similar to the role Dawson use to play for us.

I like the look of Roberts - good size and skills. He has the goods and will surely get a chance in seniors. Sheldrick likewise, a solid unit with alot of ticker. If we can keep these two and develop them, we will look back on the draft of 2021 with fond memories.

I thought GC provided a good opposition. Burgess got the better of Gould, who was often beaten in marking contests.Gould also fumbled too often for my liking, but his kicking was good.

Melican also had an ordinary game. O'Connor didn't see much action, but played okay when the ball was in his area.

I thought Roberts was our best. He seemed to be everywhere. Clarke also played well and Sheldrick saw plenty of inside action and was hard at every contest.

Mixed reviews for Ladhams, who played well around the ground but less well in rucking contests, with Moyle providing some good opposition.

Ronke had some good moments and has put himself back in contention for that defensive forward spot.

McDonald had a solid game, taking some nice marks and kicking 4 goals, but missed a critical one from in close in the 4th qtr which would have sealed the game.

Ex GWS player, Shipley, was the best of the VFL players and had a very solid game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Ex GWS player, Shipley, was the best of the VFL players and had a very solid game.
    Shipley was an excellent pick up for our VFL side. He's probably just lacking a trick or two to carve out a long term career at AFL level, but I've seen him dominate at NEAFL level. If we were to succumb to an Eagles style COVID wave sometime this season, I reckon his name will be the first written in as a top-up.

Regular in the Side
    VFL Coaches Votes in for Round 2:

Sydney 15.11 (101) lost to Gold Coast 15.13 (103)
    Malcolm Rosas (GC)
    7 Ryan Clarke (Syd)
    7 Matthew Roberts (Syd)
    3 Ned Moyle (GC)
    3 James Tsitas (GC)
    1 Logan McDonald (Syd)
    No Votes for Reid and Ladhams.

Senior Player
    I would really like to see Gould tried in the middle. He can read the play well and is now fit enough to play the role and just does not seem to fit down back due to his "in between" body size. He played in the middle as a junior and having a big bodied mid would be a bonus with Kennedy heading to retirement. It also gives him an opportunity to display his leadership qualities.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I would really like to see Gould tried in the middle. He can read the play well and is now fit enough to play the role and just does not seem to fit down back due to his "in between" body size. He played in the middle as a junior and having a big bodied mid would be a bonus with Kennedy heading to retirement. It also gives him an opportunity to display his leadership qualities.
    A good idea but he may need to develop a bigger tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I made this suggestion last year, and I like the idea even more this year. I don't think his defensive 1 on 1 work is all that good and could well be suited for that big bodied midfielder many would like to have in the side. He was also a bit fumbly in the last game, which isn't good for a midfielder, or any position for that matter. He is quick an has a booming kick, both good traits for inside mids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I made this suggestion last year, and I like the idea even more this year. I don't think his defensive 1 on 1 work is all that good and could well be suited for that big bodied midfielder many would like to have in the side. He was also a bit fumbly in the last game, which isn't good for a midfielder, or any position for that matter. He is quick an has a booming kick, both good traits for inside mids.
    +1

I'll speak to Horse and co. Lock him in for next week.

PS - If only it were that easy to have access to the inner sanctum.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    So one of Bell and Taylor will be the medi-sub for the seniors. The coach names himself in the emergencies