Page 68 of 96 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2022

Regular in the Side
    With Melican out injured,Hugo Hall-Kahan was sent to the back and performed well with 26 Disposals 14 marks. He was agile with good work rate. He has lots of potential to further develop. Ladhams was good too, would we try to play him together with Hicky against the Saints?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I don't think messing about with the structure one week out from finals is the way to go. The only way Ladhams is going to get into the side was to replace Hickey. A few weeks ago I think this was possible from a form point of view but Hickey's had strong performances in the past 2 games and will hold his spot. Plus Reid is performing incredibly well both as a forward and in 2nd ruck duties.

For all those who are interested, it’s the final round of the Reserves (VFL) this weekend. The Swans currently sit 4th on the ladder (one win and a hefty % off second). Melbourne (1st & undefeated) play Brisbane (2nd) so big wins by the Dees and us could mathematically get us to 2nd - if Southport also, unlikely, lose to the lowly Coburg) or 3rd … which means we won’t meet the all conquering Dees in week 1 of the VFL Finals. We play the 5th placed Hawks who as snapping at our heels (only 1 win and 2.9% below us, so they have plenty of incentive to beat us too! Collingwood (6th) and the Suns (7th) are also only a game and % behind the Swans so will also have plenty to play for to try to catch us (Collingwood play the 8th placed Carlton who are only a game and % behind them, so that will be a cracker; and the Suns - who are well down on % play lowly North which could be the % booster they need to be potentially equal 2nd on points at seasons end!).

Incredible final round of the VFL in terms of top 8 sides playing each other an impacting on the final standings! And all of the games (except Collingwood/Carlton) are being played within a few hours of each other (ours being last of the group) so we I’ll know what we have to do for the best finish to the VFL home & away season.

I’ve been watching the reserves quite a bit this season - it can be streamed for free via the AFL app (I mirror it to my TV via the AppleTV box).

Given that both our seniors and reserves are potentially well placed for finals, the reserves players are still vying for senior opportunities at the pointy end of the season, so should be champing at the bit for good performances.

I’ll be watching from 12:30 AEST Saturday via the AFL app!
    Last edited by goswannies; 20th August 2022 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    For all those who are interested, it’s the final round of the Reserves (VFL) this weekend. The Swans currently sit 4th on the ladder (one win and a hefty % off second). Melbourne (1st & undefeated) play Brisbane (2nd) so big wins by the Dees and us could mathematically get us to 2nd - if Southport also, unlikely, lose to the lowly Coburg) or 3rd … which means we won’t meet the all conquering Dees in week 1 of the VFL Finals. We play the 5th placed Hawks who as snapping at our heels (only 1 win and 2.9% below us, so they have plenty of incentive to beat us too! Collingwood (6th) and the Suns (7th) are also only a game and % behind the Swans so will also have plenty to play for to try to catch us (Collingwood play the 8th placed Carlton who are only a game and % behind them, so that will be a cracker; and the Suns - who are well down on % play lowly North which could be the % booster they need to be potentially equal 2nd on points at seasons end!).

Incredible final round of the VFL in terms of top 8 sides playing each other an impacting on the final standings! And all of the games (except Collingwood/Carlton) are being played within a few hours of each other (ours being last of the group) so we I’ll know what we have to do for the best finish to the VFL home & away season.

I’ve been watching the reserves quite a bit this season - it can be streamed for free via the AFL app (I mirror it to my TV via the AppleTV box).

Given that both our seniors and reserves are potentially well placed for finals, the reserves players are still vying for senior opportunities at the pointy end of the season, so should be champing at the bit for good performances.

We could be playing Melbourne in both grades in the finals...if we win both 1sts and 2nds and in 2 different states..if we don't win by enough in firsts then both games in Melbourne?
    Maybe it's time to visit Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

Yes, it's quite a good achievement getting to 12 - 5, after starting the season 2 - 3. Though our good run with injuries is a significant factor in that.

And having just checked the Hawthorn injury list, theirs is a fair bit longer than ours. So we should be favourites this afternoon.

The selected team for today.

Saturday, August 20, 2022. 12:35pm
    Box Hill City Oval

Hayden McLean
    Harry Cunningham
    Sam Wicks
    Braeden Campbell
    Will Gould
    Callum Sinclair
    Peter Ladhams
    Ben Ronke
    Angus Sheldrick
    James Bell
    Matt Roberts
    Barry O’Connor
    Joel Amartey
    Corey Warner
    Lachie Rankin
    Hugo Hall-Kahan
    Lachlan McAndrew
    Adam Gulden
    Will Collis
    Nic Shipley
    Darcy Cordell
    Harry Morrison
    Christian Webster

Emergencies
    Max Geddes
    Sam Barkley
    Angus Anderson
    Jeremy Laidler

Looks a strong side, but I'm guessing that one or two will be held over for tomorrow. They have found McAndrew, though.

Wicks the late out, so he's probably tomorrow's medisub. The ground looks to have plenty of mud.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    They have found McAndrew, though.
    Commentators say hes back from a soft tissue injury

Regular in the Side
    Geez, we are looking good at the moment.

And with that, Box Hill are gifted their first goal. In truth Rankin should be smarter.

Regular in the Side
    1Q 1.1 Box Hill, 5.1 Swans
    All the usual suspects performing well. We started like a freight train, Box Hill able to even things up later in the quarter. Some surprisingly undisciplined play from the Swans robbed us of some momentum.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think Rankin's a good enough player yet, even at VFL level, to be able to afford poor discipline.

Despite the comfortable lead, it does sometimes feel as if the midfielders and forwards have never met before. So many kicks inside forward 50 that went nowhere near a team mate.

Sheldrick was a burrowing, bullocking ball during that first quarter. He - and Roberts - might need a change of kit at half-time.

Ben Ronke has an incredible knack for goal. Kicked 2 beauties at tight angles, one off each side. He deserves to be playing at AFL level somewhere. Strong marking and kicking from McLean.

The Swans have a lot of depth. They're young, but already have plenty who look close to AFL ready.