Page 30 of 96 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2022

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Thanks for the information about the reserves practice match.
    Anyone catch the practice match?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Would like some more detailed info about who played well etc. I was planning to make it but ultimately wasn't able to (foiled by kid coming down sick). Essendon are the absolute cellar dwellers of the comp so I wouldn't read too much into the score line.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Without knowing much about Essendon's VFL squad. I think we had a lot more listed players available. At one centre bounce, I looked at our forward line and we had Sinclair, Reid, McLean and Amartey. (All players who have kicked goals as key forwards at AFL level.) Generally there were long periods with the ball locked in Essendon's defensive half. And the Essendon goals tended to come from set shots against the run of play.

1st quarter
    - Unsure who kicked it. Stoppage in the vicinity of behind post. Ball spilled out across the goal. Someone soccered it in from 5m.
    - Reid. Free kick 30m out at an angle.
    -McLean. Amartey(?) takes a contested mark on 50m then kicks to McLean who takes a 1 vs 1 mark 10m out in front and kicks the set shot
    - Ronke. Crumbs the ball from a kick into the tall forwards and snaps from 15m in front of goal.
    - Amartey. Reid(?) takes a mark on 50m then kicks it to Amartey who takes a 1 vs 1 mark 5m out from goal then kicks the set shot.

2nd quarter
    - Taylor. We chip the ball with short kicks along the boundary line. Taylor takes a mark and kicks a set shot 30m at an angle.
    - CoR. We are camped in Essendons defensive 50. Someone centres a high ball and CoR marks it on the 50m line, plays on kicks a goal from 50m in front.
    - Sheather. Attacking raid down the flanks. Someone centres the ball to Amartey who is open. He handballs to Sheather who kicks a goal 20m in front.
    - Amartey. Picks up a loose ball and snaps from 10m in front.

3rd quarter
    - Amartey. Easily outbodies his opponent for 1 vs 1 mark. Kicks the set shot 20m in front of goal.
    - Amartey. Takes a mark 1 vs 1 on the goal line and kicks the set shot.
    - Morrison. Long ball in and I think Reid taps the ball down to him and he kicks a goal from 20m in front.
    - Unsure. Essendon were switching the ball across their defence, it gets turned over and we kick a quick goal.

4th quarter
    - Ronke. Ball in to one of our talls, who handballs to Ronke running past and kicks a goal 20m in front.

Hard to make conclusive judgement on players. I thought CoR looked good with his ball movement roaming across half back. Taylor, Roberts and Shipley were our inside mids. Taylor zipped around picking up possessions and evading players. Roberts as usual always in the middle of the contest. Shipley looked the best of the top ups. Solid at the contest but got into space to receive the ball and had some runs through the middle. Our forward line all had set shot opportunities but Amartey was most dominant with his 1vs1 marking and able to set up opportunities for other players.
    Last edited by SeanM; 15th May 2022 at 05:49 PM.

Regular in the Side
    Thanks Sean!
    Amartey has been in a rich vein of goal-kicking form recently. However it is difficult to see him forcing his way into the seniors this year. Hopefully he is patient.

Great effort SeanM! Thanks.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    Thanks Sean, did Campbell play in this practice match? If not, then he was genuinely "managed" for some reasons. Perhaps he may not be slected to play the Blues so soon.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

No Campbell did not play. They might have just wanted to give him a weeks rest.

The Swans Reserves are playing against the Coburg Lions at their ground in Coburg near the old Pentridge Prison this Saturday afternoon. This is near where I live so I will go along and report back on here.

I have watched Coburg play twice this season. They are not linked to any AFL club so their list is a bunch of good suburban players who really have a crack. They beat Port Melbourne a few weeks back.

Interestingly, one of their best players is Jake Maibaum who was on the Swans list for 4 years. He plays fullback for them and is a tough defender. He will likely play on Armatey or Sinclair.

We should beat them but when they played the Box Hill Hawks a few weeks back which had plenty of Hawks' listed players, they took it right up to them and led till the final moments of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The Swans Reserves are playing against the Coburg Lions at their ground in Coburg near the old Pentridge Prison this Saturday afternoon. This is near where I live so I will go along and report back on here.

I have watched Coburg play twice this season. They are not linked to any AFL club so their list is a bunch of good suburban players who really have a crack. They beat Port Melbourne a few weeks back.

Interestingly, one of their best players is Jake Maibaum who was on the Swans list for 4 years. He plays fullback for them and is a tough defender. He will likely play on Armatey or Sinclair.

We should beat them but when they played the Box Hill Hawks a few weeks back which had plenty of Hawks' listed players, they took it right up to them and led till the final moments of the game.
    Pleased that Maibaum is doing well, as he had a wretched run with injuries while he was with us. Haven't seen him yet, but a couple of ex-Swans that I've seen in the VFL this season, are Zac Foot and Ryley Stoddardt. Foot is playing well for Southport and I was really impressed with Stoddardt, when I saw him play a game for Frankston. When he was with us, he seemed a bit fragile for AFL, but he appears to have added a bit of bulk. He was also moving beautifully and almost every time that got the ball, good things happened for his side.

I imagine the three of them would have some chance of a return to an AFL list, via the midseason draft.