Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 2nd preseason game v North

Just finished watching. My first impressions without having seen any stats or anything:

* overall I thought a bit of rust showed - a lot of players were lacking in their execution

* clearly McInerney and Blakey were good but so too was Rowbottom, more so in the first half when he was really busy and bustling. Warner was good but not dominant.

* I haven't heard a lot of love for Hickey but I thought he had yet another great game. Apart from being a good tap ruckman he keeps finding ways of getting himself involved in the game offensively and defensively around the ground.

* plenty of people have gone hard at Reid for having an ordinary game but equally I thought Tom McCartin didn't have one of his better games either - dropped a few marks, kicked out on the full, fumbled etc. Conversely Paddy looked assured. Paddy's disposal was crisp but he also had physical presence and looked more composed than he must have been when he swung at the Geelong player last year. The McCartins should be a great pairing this season.

* McAndrew looked useful in the minutes he got at the end - threw himself around and looked a bit more agile than you might expect for someone 209 cm tall. Too early to say but he might have a future. I can at least see why we signed him.

* Stephens looked improved, covered a lot of ground but also looked stronger as many people have commented.

* Wicks was serviceable in the first half with a lot of pressure and energy but disappeared in the second.

* Logan McDonald was terrific. He is going to be a great player. I'll be happy when we've signed him up - hopefully for 4 years on handsome but not outrageous money.

* Hayden McLean was also effective and could have had 5 goals if he had kicked straighter. Importantly, McLean chopped out a little bit in the ruck which will be crucial to his chances of beating Ladhams for a spot, especially since I can't see Reid playing seniors much unless we have injuries. I'm still thinking Ladhams is the frontrunner for R1 but McLean is making it a tough decision.

Not the most exciting performance overall but plenty of individual players to be excited about!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Watched the game and read fellow RWOers comments. These is what I thought about the game.

4 standout performances - McInerney, Blakey, Mills and Heeney - All clean in wet condition and superb disposals.
    1 standout stat - Won Contested Possessions by nearly 30. Not going to happen regularly in the season but would like to see us in positive in this department this year.
    Good features - Good ball movement, McInerney off HB/Wing and Blakey off Half back, Hickey continues to impress
    Improvement needed - in all departments if we want to beat GWS - again this was only a practise match - Lack of Papley is going to be a big factor.

Stephens - Good Endurance and probably now is more involved than before and knows what he needs to do. I think he lacks composure - again hasn't played enough to feel secure. I am hoping that he gets his overlap game going Ala McInerney
    Florent - Had a good game but needs consistency. He has all the elements to do it this year.
    Warner - Good game but could be a lot better - hope he is quick out of the blocks next week.
    Rowbottom - Good game. Need him in the midfield to provide the pressure but he needs to have similar or better performances each week
    McDonald - I thought he had a very good game. He has secured himself a spot. He should play at least 10-12 games this year and sign the contract

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Conversely Paddy looked assured. Paddy's disposal was crisp but he also had physical presence and looked more composed than he must have been when he swung at the Geelong player last year. The McCartins should be a great pairing this season.
    Just to expand on this point a little: I think (hope) that Paddy really learned something from his off-the-ball punch and suspension last year. And I wonder whether (hope that) playing with his younger brother will also help him keep his cool and motivate him to set a good example. There was a moment in the second half where I saw him calming/restraining Tom who was looking frustrated and aggressive and I was heartened. The stakes are high for Paddy, and with his parlous return to footy hanging a little in the balance, I think that could really operate to help him keep focused. I saw signs of maturity and just playing his role rather than trying to be a star, and these days the pressure for him to be a star has happily evaporated and everyone will celebrate him just being a good role player.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Remember this was against Norf, the 2021 Wooden Spooner!

Having watched a lot of our 2021 games in recent weeks, Dawson will be a big loss, he was very influential in most of our games and outstanding in quite a few, a rare type of footballer.

Those things said, on what wasn't a great day for footy, we were very impressive and it was done on the back of our younger brigade. The club is building not only a very good 22 but also depth which is crucial every season.

Suspended by the MRP
    Jmac will be the first AA who can 't handball

Suspended by the MRP
    Tom mccartin would want to find form also , still a jet

Might 've been harsh on Hayward , replay now he had some nice moments early , still needs to do more

Stretch went ok , like Lloyd on the wing , Campbel looked the goods up the ground , Mills when he was on ground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Jmac will be the first AA who can 't handball
    What about Kevin Bartlett?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What about Kevin Bartlett?
    TB said "can't", Barlett "wouldn't" :-)

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Absolutely spot on!

Veterans List
    IIRC the wouldn't handball thing started out as a joke and Bartlett played along. But why would he hand pass when he was such a freak at goal kicking. As we used to say, "he kicked them out of his Lemonade and Sars".

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Interesting reflections in here from David King from his Monday slot with SEN. I'm not always a mammoth fan of him as a commentator, but he has been bullish on the Swans trajectory for about 18 months to be fair.

Starts at about 17.40, and goes through my love child JMac, the evolution of our midfield, and the focus on contested ball in our work over summer.

The Monday Means Test - David King's AAMI Community Series Takeaways | SEN - YouTube
    Thanks for sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Agree mate
    Very composed the week before against GWS
    Probably struggled a little with 10mins or so vs north to flow with the team but he is a serious one to watch because he can play and fit into a surround team due to his calm decision making and reading of the game
    +1. Reckon he could be something.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314