Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy Games - 2022.

Happy and I know it
    Swans press release says he is the Coaching Director.

Leon Cameron joins QBE Sydney Swans Academy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post

I read that. But not sure what role it is equivalent to. I think it sounds more like the title of the Roos, MOL, Crouch role. Though I guess they probably change up exact roles and responsibilities over time, in part depending on who the incumbents are.

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post

Excellent news!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I read that. But not sure what role it is equivalent to. I think it sounds more like the title of the Roos, MOL, Crouch role. Though I guess they probably change up exact roles and responsibilities over time, in part depending on who the incumbents are.
    Also with the very significant budget cuts due to Covid and the subsequent restructure. It might be more "hands on" than in previous years.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Mmm, I’m a bit less convinced by this than others. How he never got a flag out of that group I’ll never understand. I get the club had some issues with injury management and player development, but …

I understand few people have the experience of coaching AFL and the Swans tend to recruit good people so I’m happy to wait and see.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yes it will be interesting what his actual roles and responsibilities will be. In a Nick Davis interview on SEN he said he was currently the Head coach of the Academies (Boys & Girls). So I wonder if that will still be his role after the Cameron appointment.

While success did not come when he was at the Giants, his style and approach was always first rate!

I am happy to have Leon Cameron as a director of coaching (Academy) at the Swans.

Given the support Don Pike has given the first coaching panel. I would suggest Leon can add to that support as well.

And if you read between the lines, seem he gave up head coach at the Bombers, to take on our juniors... LOL (and to stay in Sydney)

Big win IMO

I reckon he's a good get for us - although it must be a bit embarrassing for him having to pose in a Swans uniform after having been the figure head for our cross-town rivals for years, including earlier this season.

However, I don't see him having input into our AFL coaching set-up like Pyke does. And now I'm going to contradict myself and not that today I read that Horse used to be Leon's manager/agent, so maybe they do have a bit of a connection that will be leveraged off more in future?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    While success did not come when he was at the Giants, his style and approach was always first rate!

I am happy to have Leon Cameron as a director of coaching (Academy) at the Swans.

Given the support Don Pike has given the first coaching panel. I would suggest Leon can add to that support as well.

And if you read between the lines, seem he gave up head coach at the Bombers, to take on our juniors... LOL (and to stay in Sydney)

Big win IMO
    Leon Cameron is a massive get for the academy. Compared to previous coaching staff he is way ahead. Hopefully he will freshen it up a bit. If Davis stays he shouldn't be head coach , feedback I have had is that hes just not at that level.

Not sure if anyone saw it but two academy players played in the curtain raiser u17 futures game on the weekend. Caiden Cleary and Lachie Cabor. The last time this happened the two players names were Errol Gulden and Braeden Campbell.
    Cleary had game high 31 disposals on a losing team. Unfortunately they didnt seem to televise the game like they have in past years.
    Last edited by Mr Magoo; 28th September 2022 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw it but two academy players played in the curtain raiser u17 futures game on the weekend. Caiden Cleary and Lachie Gabor. The last time this happened the two players names were Errol Gulden and Braeden Campbell.
    Cleary had game high 31 disposals on a losing team. Unfortunately they didnt seem to televise the game like they have in past years.
    I watched about ten minutes of it on the AFL app, but for some reason, the picture they provided only took up about a quarter of my phone screen, so I got sick of squinting at tiny players.

This is a brief write up of our two players, from Rookie Me Central's scouting notes article.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/202...er-17-futures/

#2 Caiden Cleary (Swans Academy/NSW-ACT)

The top ball winner afield with 31 disposals, Cleary was another member of the midfield rotation whose speed troubled the opposition. With power and natural ball winning ability, the Swans Academy product looked to take the ball at full stride and carry on his momentum to drive it forward in a flash. The only thing missing from Cleary’s game at times was a finishing touch, with his kicking at full tilt aiming for metres or ground rather than a targeted teammate.

#6 Lachlan Cabor (Swans Academy/NSW-ACT)

One of just seven AFL Academy members afield, Cabor found a home off half-back and got his running game going. Much like Swans Academy talent Caiden Cleary, he straight-lined the ball at speed and while not as clean as he could have been, carried that momentum to generate some attacking movement. His first half was more prolific than his second, and Cabor often looked to take the game on, even if it meant he was corralled into a corner or caught in possession.
    Last edited by liz; 1st October 2022 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added link. Please don't quote from other sites without providing a link

Sounds like another couple of goers who lack that top end polish and class. That's typically the Swans way of the past however we look to be a team that wants to be better with our disposal and all around skills. Hopefully these 2 boys can improve in those areas next year!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk