Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy Games - 2022.

Giants managed to hold on 79-71 after we launched a spirited late comeback. Instrumental in that comeback was Benjamin Cheshire, who was involved in most of our final quarter goals. Seems a classy ball user and with a couple of goals earlier and plenty of damaging touches, I thought he was our best player. Cooper McClennan also had some dangerous touches as a small forward/sometime mid.

In the midfield, Lachlan Cabor did some nice work in tight, and on a wing, I thought that Owen Turner did well with a few score involvements and a goal himself.

In the main game, we're up 47-0 at quarter time. We've forced them into errors when they've had possession and cut them up with excellent ball movement when we've had it. Good players all over. Endemann, Rogers and Anderson in midfield. Anderson put one over the umpires hat from 50. And I assume that's his younger brother, Hamish, playing in 15. Puncher has two goals, the first a nice snap under pressure from a fair way out.

I'm already wondering if perhaps GWS had some of their older kids in the previous game and some of their younger kids in this one? They looked bigger and stronger in the previous one, but so far, this is a mismatch.

64-14 at the half. While I suspect that they had the scoring end, we blew a fair few chances blazing away from around 40. But still, it's been a good effort.

Quality performances all over. Since GWS managed to attack a bit more, our defenders were busier. I thought Edwards did well. In the middle, Anderson is probably too good for this level. Endemann has some really nice moves in traffic. Gander was playing as a tall flanker and becoming increasingly effective. Rogers and Alker were busy.

In the forward line, all the talls looked capable. The medium sized Robertson always looks dangerous when it's in his area, and the smaller Smit has some sharp skills.

83-28 at three quarter time. Ball use not as crisp in that quarter: a bit too many hand passes to players not in a better position and missing targets by foot. Still some good performances. Edwards did well when switched into the ruck. Young Longmire went well. He took a couple of contested marks, kicked a goal and set one up for Rogers, who he found in the goal square with a penetrating kick.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    83-28 at three quarter time. Ball use not as crisp in that quarter: a bit too many hand passes to players not in a better position and missing targets by foot. Still some good performances. Edwards did well when switched into the ruck. Young Longmire went well. He took a couple of contested marks, kicked a goal and set one up for Rogers, who he found in the goal square with a penetrating kick.
    That would be Colt Longmire!

Ended up 97-53 with GWS getting the last couple of goals to make it look a bit more respectable. Essentially, the game was put to rest with a brilliant 47-0 first quarter. After that, GWS were more competitive, but never looked like closing the gap.

Many good performances. Edwards put in another strong showing as a KPD, and did well when chucked in the ruck. I thought Webster and Cole also did well in defence. Gander also played a bit on the half back flank, but probably spent more time as a winger. I thought he was close to BOG. He closed down his opponents, took the game on with ball in hand and kicked a couple of goals. If he fills out a bit more, he should be a prospect.

Anderson was probably BOG in the first half, but didn't spend that much time on the ball in the second half. When he and Endemann were on the ball together, they linked up very nicely. Endemann is calm and evasive in traffic and usually uses it creatively. Rogers also was among the best.

In the forward line, pretty well everyone had their moments, but no one really dominated. Puncher looked set for a big day early, but didn't add to his two first quarter goals. Robin took some strong marks and led well, but his kicking wasn't as impressive as in his previous game. Longmire was probably the best forward in the second half. Small forward, Smit, had some nice touches, but due to the difficulty in spotting numbers from a sometimes blurry YouTube feed, I'm not sure how many goals he got? Certainly one, possibly two, maybe even three?

But anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this side run around again, as they are capable of some very good football.

Team listsscreenshot_20220312-111605_drive.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Great reports! Thanks deja.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great reports! Thanks deja.
    Ta, this has a bit more information.

QBE Academy: Northern Academy Series Round 1

Hamish Anderson is Angus younger brother . Badly posted an article I found yesterday (sorry mods) that basically said he is only 17 and was youngest player in the 19s squad which means they must have a fair opinion of him.

Veteran Site Admin

There's another two academy games on Sunday, this time against the Suns. Although just to irritate me, they're playing them in a northern suburb of Brisbane, rather than the Gold Coast.

QBE Academy: Northern Academy Series Round 2

The senior side looks much the same, except for the highly rated Billy King, being listed to make his first appearance for the season. That game is scheduled for 12.15pm (Queensland time). It's followed by the Futures game.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast