Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy Games - 2022.

Angus Anderson also not in so must be playing in the VFL team. The team is essentially a 50/50 split of u18/u19s.

Veteran Site Admin
    Just spent a few minutes swearing at the YouTube feed on my TV because it wasn't offering up the academy game as a recommended option and a search came up blank too. Then realised the games are on tomorrow, not today. DOH!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Just spent a few minutes swearing at the YouTube feed on my TV because it wasn't offering up the academy game as a recommended option and a search came up blank too. Then realised the games are on tomorrow, not today. DOH!
    Been there, done that.

Veteran Site Admin
    Take (and mistake) two: Just worked out that the times of the games shown are local times. And we're still on daylight saving time. And Queensland doesn't have DST. Come back in an hour...

I was going to say that it's a nice surprise to have commentators, but it appears that they don't have much of a clue who our players are.

In front 21 - 19 at quarter time. Plenty of good pressure. The Suns rarely had time in possession.

Perhaps Giacometti was our best. Kicked 2 goals, one a snap from around 35, the other a set shot from 50. He also set up the other, through laying a crunching tackle and then kicking long to the square, where Endemann roved the pack. He's also had a few midfield touches. Tidemann has also got plenty of ball.

Gander showing his versatility by playing forward in that quarter. Edwards good in defence.

Suns ahead 33 - 31 at the half. They definitely had the best of the early part of that quarter and skipped out to a 10 point lead: largely due to our guys constantly missing targets.

Webster was pretty good in that quarter, when the ball was often in our defensive 50. Edwards unfortunately gifted them a goal, with an attempt to run around the man on the mark, that Dennis Cometti would have described as "ambitious".

We worked back into the game later in the quarter, but were kicking behinds rather than goals. Our only goal was to Woodford, who got HTB free, after Longmire did well to apply pressure.

Giacometti still our best. Rogers had a good quarter and I do like Endemann.

In front 51 - 42 at the final break. Gander kicked two in that quarter. One of them was a really nice snap from the pocket, after selling some candy to his opponent. Puncher got our other goal from the same pocket, after had attacked the marking contest and caused a spillage. Young Anderson also had a couple of score involvements, from forcing it forward, rather than clean possession.

King had a couple of handy spells in the ruck, especially when he could get it to Endemann.

Did well to win an enjoyable, tough, but scrappy game, 66 - 60. Both sides applied plenty of pressure, while the strong crosswind added an extra degree of difficulty.

In that quarter, we kicked a couple early, and then did well to hold on. The first goal was from Kunigiskis, who may have realised that there was a spot on the half forward flank, where if you put it up in the wind, it tended to sail through. The other goal was from Endemann, who got away an instant kick in heavy traffic, from about 40 out.

Going through the lines: in defence, I thought Webster was probably our best: a tall, who gets plenty of ball, competes well and may fill out into KPF size. Already at KPF size is Edwards, who also had a strong game, apart from a couple of clangers. Of the smaller defenders, Alker and Nicholls did well.

In the midfield, Giacometti was certainly our best in the first half and probably did enough in the second, to be best all up. Endemann had another creative game. Even in heavy traffic, he rarely gets caught with the ball; although, sometimes his not getting caught with the ball, involves handballing it to a team mate, who may not be in a good position. Kirk had a busy second half, and showed a bit of Kirk toughness, when he seemed to cop of late forearm from a monster forward and got straight back up. Kunigiskis had a good game, while Rogers and Ball were also handy.

King had a few useful spells in the ruck, but didn't seem to play that much game time, and was probably resting on the bench, rather than up forward.

Gander was probably our best forward today. Which is quite impressive, as he's previously played half back flank and on the wing. The other talls, Puncher, Robin and Longmire, all competed well when the ball was in their area.

Good to get a win and I'm sure the coaches would be pleased with the effort shown.
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 20th March 2022 at 04:35 PM.

I only saw the last quarter of the U17 game, but we beat the Suns 85 - 57.

Veteran Site Admin
    I liked Webster the most in the U18 game. He got better the longer the game went. Edwards was also solid in defence.

Gander and Puncher each showed something in the forward line but their finishing was a bit hit and miss.

But, like the previous two games, it was mostly the evenness of the running brigade that earned the win. (Though there wasn't much to choose between the two teams - both showed both skill and grit.) Some of them had more of an influence than others, but none has yet (to my unskilled eye) showed anything to elevate themselves above the rest and suggest they might make it to the next level. But still a long season to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I liked Webster the most in the U18 game. He got better the longer the game went. Edwards was also solid in defence.

Gander and Puncher each showed something in the forward line but their finishing was a bit hit and miss.

But, like the previous two games, it was mostly the evenness of the running brigade that earned the win. (Though there wasn't much to choose between the two teams - both showed both skill and grit.) Some of them had more of an influence than others, but none has yet (to my unskilled eye) showed anything to elevate themselves above the rest and suggest they might make it to the next level. But still a long season to go yet.
    I'm sure your eye is a bit more skilled than mine. I mean, I personally feel a bit vulnerable, naming my best players without access to a stats sheet.

And yes, I think we'll get a better idea if any of the crop are a chance to be drafted, once we start to play our NAB League matches. That is, the teams we go up against, are likely to have a fair few players who are rated as genuine draft prospects. So, if one of our mids is named as BOG, against an opposition midfield that has a few players that are considered to be among the best 20 or 30 mids, then we could probably start thinking that their name might be called out on draft night.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast