View Poll Results: Will you be attending the game this Saturday?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am going!

11 52.38%
  • Still undecided

0 0%
  • No, I can’t make it

8 38.10%
  • No, I choose not to go for whatever reason (eg bloody Homebush)

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you attending the game on Saturday?

Senior Player

The joy of a Buddy goal; Poll: Are you attending the game on Saturday?

As I have said a few times on this board, the joy I feel when Franklin kicks a goal is unmatched compared to any past or present Swan.

I think that started in the first game I saw him play live, v Port in Round 13 at the SCG in 2014, which is still one of my favourite live games. Buddy's first four scoring shots were behinds and the dude behind me was grumbling about him not being value for money. As you will recall, his next five scores were goals, with some magnificent goals in the final term (including, unbeknownst to me at the time, the goal that inspired Hudson's 'give him a longer contract' call), and we won by 4 in a barn-burner.

Since then, I think the joy is vicarious - a response to his demonstrative joy after each goal and the joy it brings team-mates. It is also reflection of my appreciation of him and pride he plays for us. Finally, it is a sense that every goal is a step closer to history - to 1,000 and beyond.

So, I want to see it. I'll be up in Sydney for the game this week and hopefully up there next Friday night if he misses out this week, although being a Friday night game it is more difficult for me to travel up.

I have been wondering about that the crowd will be. I think I read a few months ago they were hoping for 60,000, but Andrew Wu reported today the expected crowd is 'at least 30,000'. (For what it's worth, Tom Green reckons 'the talk is' 50,000-60,000).

A crowd around 30,000 would be a bit disappointing, and the prospect of a crowd that size puzzles me, particularly as members can register for free entry. In addition to it possibly being the 1,000 goal game, it's the first live game of footy in Sydney in a long time and a game against GWS is pretty enticing as a game of footy - two well-matched teams, and we will be looking to avenge last year's finals defeat.

So, I am curious as to the attitudes of posters on this board to this and have posted a poll to that end. Thanks in advance for the vote!
    Last edited by MattW; 15th March 2022 at 08:53 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I just hope he kicks four re GWS, and gets to kick the one that matters at the SCG.

The prospect of him kicking it at Plastic Fantastic Stadium is a travesty.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Can't cos I have cricket finals but I'd be there otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    I'll be there - can't wait!

Hard to believe that my last visit was (checks notes) a Saturday afternoon, September 10th 2016, Saturday arvo QF versus GWS.

Good crowd that day (60 222). Not so good result - lost by 36. Made up for it by winning against Adelaide the next week - coincidentally, also by 36.

No goals for Buddy that day but he has kicked 5 against GWS on 4 occasions (and 4 on 3 occasions).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I'll be there - can't wait!

Hard to believe that my last visit was (checks notes) a Saturday afternoon, September 10th 2016, Saturday arvo QF versus GWS.

Good crowd that day (60 222). Not so good result - lost by 36. Made up for it by winning against Adelaide the next week - coincidentally, also by 36.

No goals for Buddy that day but he has kicked 5 against GWS on 4 occasions (and 4 on 3 occasions).
    That was my last game there too. We were bashed up that day by Mumford and Johnson, and Greene and Cameron were too good. Walking out, I certainly didn't think we'd be playing in the grand final in a few weeks' time.

Favourite Buddy goals v GWS:
    - this is the greatest showman
    - the master blaster has done it again.

Both great games.

We have only won 2 of our last 7 against GWS. Very keen for a win.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    That was my last game there too. We were bashed up that day by Mumford and Johnson, and Greene and Cameron were too good. Walking out, I certainly didn't think we'd be playing in the grand final in a few weeks' time.

Favourite Buddy goals v GWS:
    - this is the greatest showman
    - the master blaster has done it again.

Both great games.

We have only won 2 of our last 7 against GWS. Very keen for a win.
    Well, I won't be there, but hearing the commentary, I wouldn't mind if Anthony Hudson was in the box. He's no Dennis Cometti, but he probably has more flair and sense of occasion, than all the other commentators currently going around.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Well, I won't be there, but hearing the commentary, I wouldn't mind if Anthony Hudson was in the box. He's no Dennis Cometti, but he probably has more flair and sense of occasion, than all the other commentators currently going around.
    It would be very fitting if he called Franklin's 1000th; agree that he's the best current caller.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I would be there this week but one of my family got covid on Sunday so I can’t!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Can you believe the morons at the AFL and ground management at Plastic Stadium are threading $5k fines to people who run onto the ground when he kicks his 1000th. What a bunch of kill joys.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Can you believe the morons at the AFL and ground management at Plastic Stadium are threading $5k fines to people who run onto the ground when he kicks his 1000th. What a bunch of kill joys.
    McLachlan kind of debunked that last night: Fox Footy on Twitter: "'If Buddy kicks his 1000th this week. how are you going to stop them running on the ground?' 🤔

Gil McLachlan gives his answer 👀

📺 Tune into #AFLL360 on Ch 504 or stream on @kayosports… https://t.co/DKOatyu2RO"

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Been hearing commentators encouraging people to run onto the ground when Buddy kicks his 1000th as they reckon we'll never see this feat achieved again. Doubt AFL/Stadium Management will fine the thousands of people running onto the ground, as it would be bad PR considering the AFL is promoting so hard for people to return to the game post covid ($2 pies at this Friday night's game at Marvel Stadium).

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast