Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    mrns - Agree with the sentiment about no recognition of North Shore being poor, but is this thread about who gets the credit vs the actual state of the game.

IMO the game in Sydney "State of the Game" is the healthiest it has been in my 30 years in Sydney.

There are more locals dominating the Prems comp vs ex-pats from the Southern States, the numbers playing open age has never been stronger and the growth in Women's footy is almost unbelievable.

While I don't think AFL Sydney has overly contributed to the competition health, if we measure by outcomes they, and AFL HQ, must be happy.

So is this thread really about the "State of the Game" or who gets the credit.
    Fair points Tom, I can see where you are coming from on the metrics you mention to judge "state of the game". Two things I would say to that are 1. The state of the game could and should be far better if it was managed/governed much more effectively (see my and other's posts) - even on your metrics but certainly on a raft of others mentioned here regularly and in this thread specifically and 2. Like any multi-party effort, and community sport in particular, the journey is important, not just the end goals. I don't agree that the issue being discussed here is who get's credit, but I think you have touched on another important point which relates to the discussion. If AFL Sydney almost constantly, for many years, has significant relationship issue with and dissatisfaction among its local clubs surely it must take a look at itself and not only what it is doing but how it is doing it... Clubs no doubt have lots of faults and issues, but refer to points made in the thread, they are the infrastructure of local football and how the community experiences the game outside of the AFL Clubs in Sydney. Kind of important. A start would be AFL Sydney/NSW/ACT getting out of the pocket of the Swannies / lesser extent GWS, les time spent enjoying the reflected glory of the national organisation and teams and focus on local clubs, local football and its many and varied growth pathways and their needs.

Balmain ressies with a forfeit to SW according to the Blues page. That's an early one.

Same thing happened with Randwick Ressies today at Southern Power. Unprecedented in Platinum.

Are these teams still fielding a third grade team or just can't even get 2 on the park?

I think the rule is if you forfeit it has to be the lowest side doesn't it? Our masters team copped a forfeit in round 1, with 2 out of the 4 games being forfeits. What's going on?

Also want to give a shout out to the two umps we had yesterday in the st george v north shore div 2 game. Not easy getting club umps, let alone good ones.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    I think the rule is if you forfeit it has to be the lowest side doesn't it? Our masters team copped a forfeit in round 1, with 2 out of the 4 games being forfeits. What's going on?

Also want to give a shout out to the two umps we had yesterday in the st george v north shore div 2 game. Not easy getting club umps, let alone good ones.
    Don't think masters count in that rule because of the age group.

What a super Anzac Day at Picken today.
    An intense grinding arm wrestle...but not very pretty to watch. Well contested by both teams in the first half but the Pies broke it open in the second half to score a strong and commanding win. Well done to both sides, especially man-of-the match Wilmot who richly deserved his award.
    The ceremony was engaging as it always is, and the Magpie Burgers were up to the usual standard.

10/10 to all involved with Wests who have turned the club into something to be proud of.

I need a geek to tell me how to see the goalkickers for the season please.
    I'm sure it's obvious but it's not too easy for the dummies

Clearances too!

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    I need a geek to tell me how to see the goalkickers for the season please.
    I'm sure it's obvious but it's not too easy for the dummies
    I can't seem to bring it up on PlayHQ. I'm getting the leading goalkickers on Facebook & Insta.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Yup it sucks. Also sucks how they don't have the drop down box in each league which means you need to go all the way back and into the next league. Hard to check all the results each week.

Fixtures and ladders on the Sydney AFL website

One would think that the functionality of displaying competitions in a customised order would be available.

The current order starts with U19 Div 1 (and no disrespect to that or any comp) and you have to scroll to the bottom to find Women's Premier League. It is a dog's breakfast and makes little sense. In addition, some comps rightly identify gender and others don't leaving you scratching your head if it is men's, women's or open to any gender.

On a side note, u19 top grade should be prems for consistency with the other top grade men's and women's comps.

If anyone from AFL NSW/ACT reads this forum, here is my 2 cents worth on reordering your competition fixture and ladder page with the correct names:

Men's Premier Division
    Women's Premier Division
    Men's U19 Premier Division
    Men's Platinum Division
    Men's Premier Division Reserves
    Women's Division One
    Men's U19 Division One
    Men's Platinum Division Reserves
    Men's Division One
    Men's Division Two
    Women's Division Two
    Men's Division Three
    Women's Division Three
    Women's Division Four
    Men's Masters

I also concur with previous comments on this thread about the functionality around having to go back to go to another comp due to a lack of drop down menus.

I would like to think that in 2022 that all the functionality above is available in the back end of the technology which would make for a better end user experience?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast