Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The State of the game

I heard some time ago , mention of a possible east coast league starting up with teams from Sydney and Canberra in the mix to participate. Anyone know if this has progressed ?

I think this idea has been around for some time but logistically would pose a nightmare for most clubs... not to mention the costs of transport (& accommodation?). They may try and get some sort of breakaway competition for those clubs who could afford it but that would only dilute the current Sydney competition in my opinion. Unless there was some form of financial benefit (i.e prizemoney) I couldn't really see the point of it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    It is right, currently scheduled same day but no time confirmed. Depending if the Swans men have a home final that evening, it could be played at the same time as Men’s Premier Division GF.
    It gets worse, Swans have told Sydney AFLW train on squad players, so not listed players, that they can’t play Prems for the last 3 games of our season - so they can be available for match sim training for the listed players!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    It gets worse, Swans have told Sydney AFLW train on squad players, so not listed players, that they can’t play Prems for the last 3 games of our season - so they can be available for match sim training for the listed players!!!
    That’s ridiculous!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I heard some time ago , mention of a possible east coast league starting up with teams from Sydney and Canberra in the mix to participate. Anyone know if this has progressed ?
    NSW AFL have been looking at it for a couple of years in amongst some other initiatives. Was raised initially I believe by a couple of the stronger Sydney and ACT clubs, the theory being it would stop the better young kids going to the southern states to get noticed.
    Lots of issues to be resolved before it would be viable. And it’s not helped by the revolving door of senior execs moving in and out of NSW AFL.
    The plan was for it to be up and running in 2024 but my tip is it won’t get up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played a game of womens footy at Sydney Uni #1 last night. What a terrible condition that ground is in!Not just the surface which has lots of divots and uneven surfaces, different patches of grass, although obviously would be impacted by the heavy rain, but also the picket fence is falling apart and trees obscuring the view of the scoreboard. All looks like it gets no attention at all.

Plus at the end of the game the SU women had to drag the cricket covers from the boundary to cover the cricket pitch. Shows that priority is cricket rather than AFL even with the cricket season 3 months away.
    You look at their other grounds in their precinct and they are all pristine.
    Just shows the Uni hierarchy don’t care much about AFL. Certainly wouldn’t stack up as a ground to be used in an AFL State League if it ever gets up.
    I hope the footy club can get more support and money from what is meant to be one of the world’s leading universities.

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Played a game of womens footy at Sydney Uni #1 last night. What a terrible condition that ground is in!Not just the surface which has lots of divots and uneven surfaces, different patches of grass, although obviously would be impacted by the heavy rain, but also the picket fence is falling apart and trees obscuring the view of the scoreboard. All looks like it gets no attention at all.

Plus at the end of the game the SU women had to drag the cricket covers from the boundary to cover the cricket pitch. Shows that priority is cricket rather than AFL even with the cricket season 3 months away.
    You look at their other grounds in their precinct and they are all pristine.
    Just shows the Uni hierarchy don’t care much about AFL. Certainly wouldn’t stack up as a ground to be used in an AFL State League if it ever gets up.
    I hope the footy club can get more support and money from what is meant to be one of the world’s leading universities.

I believe Collingwood trained at the 'oval' during one of the covid outbreaks in Melbourne. Imagine them working on their forward structure in those 50s

It is crazy to think the amount of money spent on Mike Kenny, Old's Park and Gore Hill over the past few years that some clubs can't even get a tree trim to see the scoreboard.

What is the plan for Henson with the $5m in funding? Anything in the pipeline for the other clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    It is crazy to think the amount of money spent on Mike Kenny, Old's Park and Gore Hill over the past few years that some clubs can't even get a tree trim to see the scoreboard.

What is the plan for Henson with the $5m in funding? Anything in the pipeline for the other clubs?
    The development at Henson is about the VFL and the AFLW. It’s not about Sydney AFL, so that’ll probably be a “No”.

UNSW won't play at Henson any more?

Also, when do UNSW add in the results? They seem to be 24 hours late every week.

Pretty certain UNSW will be playing finals at Henson for a few years to come!
    Scores are up sorry to keep you in suspense Savior!
    Not so sure about the so called largest club in eastern suburbs 🤦@♂️

Another washout. Footy will be dead in Sydney below Premier levels in the next few years if this keeps up.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast