Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The State of the game

If no action is taken to improve drainage across all grounds in Sydney, not only AFL but other community sports will be looking at a same fate.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    If no action is taken to improve drainage across all grounds in Sydney, not only AFL but other community sports will be looking at a same fate.
    Mate I have been involved with SWS for 30 years and at Rosedale since 96. I have never seen the ground hold this much water. 3 years ago I bought a property near the ground and have been flooded in 5 times since. We had bushfires 500m from home 2 years ago then flooding 2 weeks later and this year rain and constant flooding has been a nightmare. Rosedale has always drained better than every other ground in Sydney but the constant deluge we have experienced hasnt allowed it to drain/recover at all. I was there last Sunday enjoying the warm weather but the far side was still very damp despite the centre wicket like a concrete pitch. This situation is without precedent in my time and like covid beyond our control.

I'm happy for people to shut me down re my appraised of Rosedale but I would disagree with them nonetheless - What I am saying is if a ground like mine that is exceptional is struggling how do you expect the others to hold up even with improved drainage in unprecedented times like these. The bigger issue is around money and the reluctance of councils to be prepared to spend money on repairs in times like this. We play a winter sport where the threat of litigation allows councils to hold the upper hand and declare grounds unsafe despite the fact that historically games have been played in less than perfect conditions for years - just look at one of the most iconic photos in Australian sport in particular Provan and Summons. If councils were fair then grounds would be shut in times of drought during winter when wickets are effectively concrete skating rings covered in razor blades and the impact of hitting on them can have serious consequences.

Hawthorn Legend Don Scott called the AFL out recently on their management of the game - if the AFL was serious about community sport it would inject money into grass roots football to ensure the continuity of the game at that level rather than lining their pockets with dictating to clubs to tow the line, enforcing license agreements etc. Maybe if the injected serious funds into the running of the game at community level the administrators would have more time to lobby councils to keep grounds open.

Let hope that the rain clears and the current covid situation dissipates and we get to see the season finish unlike last year. No one wants to see another season abandoned.

Players, coaches, and officials who abuse umpires, dispute decisions or behave in a disrespectful manner towards umpires will be penalised by way of free kicks, 50m penalties, send-offs and reports. This stance will be adopted across all grades

Whilst this rule was enforced in the AFL and somewhat relaxed after a happy medium was reached, i have not seen the same reaction in Sydney football this season, it may just be that players have been behaving themselves, but yesterday was at the ridiculous end of the spectrum.

Four 50 metre free kicks given, 2 against either side, resulting in a goal to either side, for umpire abuse by spectators at either end of the ground, at least 50metres away from Wests box and probably 0 metres away from Manlys coaching area, to be fair, umpires sent a message via the 2 captains to refrain from commentary and opinions from coaches, officials and the like, but when have spectators come under the banner of this rule, and how can you determine which yahoo making the comment was representative from which club, as one bloke was giving it to umpires for most of the decisions made yesterday and i am not sure, he was actually affiliated with either club.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    Players, coaches, and officials who abuse umpires, dispute decisions or behave in a disrespectful manner towards umpires will be penalised by way of free kicks, 50m penalties, send-offs and reports. This stance will be adopted across all grades

Whilst this rule was enforced in the AFL and somewhat relaxed after a happy medium was reached, i have not seen the same reaction in Sydney football this season, it may just be that players have been behaving themselves, but yesterday was at the ridiculous end of the spectrum.

Four 50 metre free kicks given, 2 against either side, resulting in a goal to either side, for umpire abuse by spectators at either end of the ground, at least 50metres away from Wests box and probably 0 metres away from Manlys coaching area, to be fair, umpires sent a message via the 2 captains to refrain from commentary and opinions from coaches, officials and the like, but when have spectators come under the banner of this rule, and how can you determine which yahoo making the comment was representative from which club, as one bloke was giving it to umpires for most of the decisions made yesterday and i am not sure, he was actually affiliated with either club.
    It’s been standard practice for a number of years for 50 metres to be paid for umpire abuse from spectators. And you can generally tell which team they support by the nature of the comment.

Given how hard it is to get either club umpires or AFL appointed umpires we need to eliminate spectator abuse. We certainly don’t want to get to similar situations that are occurring in community rugby league games with umpires being threatened and assaulted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    It’s been standard practice for a number of years for 50 metres to be paid for umpire abuse from spectators. And you can generally tell which team they support by the nature of the comment.

Given how hard it is to get either club umpires or AFL appointed umpires we need to eliminate spectator abuse. We certainly don’t want to get to similar situations that are occurring in community rugby league games with umpires being threatened and assaulted.

Thanks for that, did not know it encompassed spectators as well as i have never seen it paid that way before.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    Thanks for that, did not know it encompassed spectators as well as i have never seen it paid that way before.
    I've only ever seen a free paid against the crowd once before, and that was by a club umpire who made several interesting calls.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    I've only ever seen a free paid against the crowd once before, and that was by a club umpire who made several interesting calls.
    Was he from Camden? Only one I've seen pay them too. Free kick count was about 45 to 0 that day

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Was he from Camden? Only one I've seen pay them too. Free kick count was about 45 to 0 that day
    Wasn't hard to pick lol.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post

Things must have been getting out of control and an official crackdown made last week as apparently 13 reports for umpire dissent/abuse last weekend, including the possible suspension of 2 premier league coaches.

We had a free kick paid to us yesterday for spectator abuse. Definitely a crack down.

I don't mind it, as long as it's consistent.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789