Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The State of the game

I've got a squad of 40 for 1 team and just scraped together 22. Usual stuff.

We were similar. Earlier in the season had 10 blokes as emergencies each week, this week we named 18. Luckily managed to find 4 more between Thursday night and Saturday morning.

Just my opinion but this years Prems comp looks the tightest it has in many years... Easts the obvious standout and probably a shoe in for the GF but their opponents on the day could come down to a solitary kick. Syd Uni & Norths always a threat but great to see Wests & Saints competitive against the big boys... and one can never ever write off Penno at the pointy end of the season. Exciting weeks to come.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by exitthesandman View Post
    Just my opinion but this years Prems comp looks the tightest it has in many years... Easts the obvious standout and probably a shoe in for the GF but their opponents on the day could come down to a solitary kick. Syd Uni & Norths always a threat but great to see Wests & Saints competitive against the big boys... and one can never ever write off Penno at the pointy end of the season. Exciting weeks to come.
    Two-thirds of the way through, and only UNSW-ES are certainties to make the finals but 7 out of 9 teams are a chance of making it. Closest race for many years - quite often by this stage of the season it's clear who the finallists are going to be.
    Magpies & UTS have massively lifted their game this year.
    East Coast have massively dropped off, although they have a very strong women's program.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

ECE too busy trying to win div 2, cant even get a bench in the reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    hoping they can pull of the tanking triple crown, 0 wins in prems, 0 wins in ressies, premiership in thirds

UTS are a funny one - they didn't kick a goal in Prems or 19s at Sydney Uni a couple of weeks ago, and only two in Reserves. Final tally across all three grades was 60 goals to 2. But then they went out the next week and beat Penno in Prems. Whatever the coach said during the week must have been inspirational!

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Two-thirds of the way through, and only UNSW-ES are certainties to make the finals but 7 out of 9 teams are a chance of making it. Closest race for many years - quite often by this stage of the season it's clear who the finallists are going to be.
    Magpies & UTS have massively lifted their game this year.
    East Coast have massively dropped off, although they have a very strong women's program.

Why wouldn’t they want to win a flag?

Quote Originally Posted by mrns View Post
    hoping they can pull of the tanking triple crown, 0 wins in prems, 0 wins in ressies, premiership in thirds
    Had a quick look at the best on after the game last week. One had roughly 50 games of NEAFL experience with GWS, another played in the sydneyafl v canberra rep game, couple of guys who played prems last year.

Agree with Blinkers though, why get flogged in prems and reserves every week when you can get 50 kicks in division 2.
    Last edited by saviour01; 2nd July 2022 at 03:57 PM.

Pushing for Selection
    Had a quick look at the best on after the game last week. One had roughly 50 games of NEAFL experience with GWS, another played in the sydneyafl v canberra rep game, couple of guys who played prems last year.

Agree with Blinkers though, why get flogged in prems and reserves every week when you can get 50 kicks in division 2.
    By the looks of it they beat St George which is why i'm guessing the sudden sparked interest in the ECE Div 2 results. Looking at their team all of the blokes you say have NEAFL experience are all 32+ except one who didn't play last year and is in his late 20s.

Didn't a gun St George forward spend a season or two with the 3rds when he was around 30?

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    By the looks of it they beat St George which is why i'm guessing the sudden sparked interest in the ECE Div 2 results.
    No one is interested in their prems or ressies results, especially when they only play with 18 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    By the looks of it they beat St George which is why i'm guessing the sudden sparked interest in the ECE Div 2 results. Looking at their team all of the blokes you say have NEAFL experience are all 32+ except one who didn't play last year and is in his late 20s.

Didn't a gun St George forward spend a season or two with the 3rds when he was around 30?
    Granted from my understanding there is a few of players who have come back to have a run around hence the number of experienced players within the team, but when your best player was running around in premier division just last year and from what I can understand from Saviours quote below, they don't even field a bench in the PREMIER grades above. It is not a great look.

No one is interested in their prems or ressies results, especially when they only play with 18 players.