Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 2 vs Geelong Cats @ SCG - Pre-Game Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Maybe it’s just me but I think the last 5 hames of half back flank from Nick Blakey have been better than anything McVeigh, Lloyd, Shaw, Keneally, Matner or Malceski produced off half back.

We need more of that fast style of Half Back Flanker who delivers the ball well. We need J-Mac and Campbell running through there as well. They can even attack the goals given space as Campbell expertly displayed.

Are people wanting this Kennedy half back concept to work at the expense of Campbell and J-Mac running through there?
    I think people want it to work because they respect a champion of our club. If it doesn't then it's back to the mid's but that might be taking 'flying hours' away from the fast developing cygnets....so then he becomes the new ROK....and no one wants that.

As for Blakey, it's fine to be excited, I think we all are but let's not get ahead of ourselves ok. Bit early to be putting him above club greats and premiership players. While I agree with you that he's the type of back flanker we need, compared to them he's done nothing yet.

I'm a little surprised they haven't tried JPK as a forward pocket rotating into midfield, ala Jude Bolton. He isn't the contested mark machine that Parker is up front, but would be a tough match up when getting the 3rd/4th/5th best defender. I would of thought he would be better suited there then playing off the half back flank.

But he deserves time, as the champion he is, to show he can play in a different role - and I have no doubt he will still have a role to play in the centre over the season, and his leadership to what is collectively a young group remains invaluable.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I'm a little surprised they haven't tried JPK as a forward pocket rotating into midfield, ala Jude Bolton. He isn't the contested mark machine that Parker is up front, but would be a tough match up when getting the 3rd/4th/5th best defender. I would of thought he would be better suited there then playing off the half back flank.

But he deserves time, as the champion he is, to show he can play in a different role - and I have no doubt he will still have a role to play in the centre over the season, and his leadership to what is collectively a young group remains invaluable.
    Sheldrick is being over-rated. He played pretty well for a first gamer. He showed good endeavour. But he did quite a few "almost" acts. His TOG had to be carefully managed. This impacts other players. He looks like a good draft pick, but he has not had one full preseason. Wicks missed some shots. He needs to clean that up. He gets judged harshly. Sheldrick misses a shot-good on him for getting to position.

Geelong midfield is still built around Dangerfield and Selwood.

Rowbottom is capable of matching one of them, but I think Kennedy may get a midfield role this week. I have only seen the highlights of the Geelong game - and Essendon were pretty soft (even pathetic), - but they bullied contested possessions and clearances.

So, for me, Lloyd in his usual role replaces Kennedy at half back; Kennedy in mids and Sheldrick misses; Warner in and maybe McDonald misses if the weather is bad.

McLean has to stay as relief ruck, and Wicks needs to stop any exit run.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think people want it to work because they respect a champion of our club. If it doesn't then it's back to the mid's but that might be taking 'flying hours' away from the fast developing cygnets....so then he becomes the new ROK....and no one wants that.

As for Blakey, it's fine to be excited, I think we all are but let's not get ahead of ourselves ok. Bit early to be putting him above club greats and premiership players. While I agree with you that he's the type of back flanker we need, compared to them he's done nothing yet.

Blakey will need to do this over the next couple of seasons to be in the McVeigh category.

Certain in my mind is that it’s the greatest 5 game half back flank sample that I’ve ever seen from a Swans half back flanker.

Kennedy for medical sub is perfect. He can come in and do a midfield job while other midfielders can play different roles ie Mills to half back, J-Mac to half back or Heeney and Parker forward.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If JPK goes into the midfield, then what do we do with Chad? I'd prefer Chad in the midfield.

PS: Don't knock Banga on this post. He was just going with my suggestions.
    Not knocking bangalore , i like the debate

Chad can be in the mids too , why does it have to be one or the other , they were both in the mids last yr and it was fine. Now everyone has gone cold on Kennedy in the mids , why ? Cause he 's old ?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Geelong midfield is still built around Dangerfield and Selwood.

Rowbottom is capable of matching one of them, but I think Kennedy may get a midfield role this week. I have only seen the highlights of the Geelong game - and Essendon were pretty soft (even pathetic), - but they bullied contested possessions and clearances.

So, for me, Lloyd in his usual role replaces Kennedy at half back; Kennedy in mids and Sheldrick misses; Warner in and maybe McDonald misses if the weather is bad.

McLean has to stay as relief ruck, and Wicks needs to stop any exit run.
    Actually, if I was looking at someone for Rowbottom to put time into, I'd take a look at Parfitt. He's now a consistent, possession and clearance winning, big metres gained player with an ability to burst through.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

I think both he and Parker are dangerous near goal because of their strength, smarts and both are decent kicks

No Jeremy Cameron puts a massive hole in Geelongs setup. I think this is a pretty comfortable game for us, and if it's not too wet, a 6 goal margin sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Not knocking bangalore , i like the debate

Chad can be in the mids too , why does it have to be one or the other , they were both in the mids last yr and it was fine. Now everyone has gone cold on Kennedy in the mids , why ? Cause he 's old ?
    I think with Kennedy and the midfield it’s a number of factors:

1) 666 rule. Before this rule you used to have bodies charging into the centre square from half forward / half flank. You needed to be big and powerful like Kennedy to withstand that pressure. Now these guys are inside 50 for centre square and it opens up space in the middle. Quicker players are advantaged by this rule. The Florent goal was an illustration of the space created by 666. This rule change is not to Kennedy’s benefit.

2) Game style change. The Swans midfield is now smaller with quicker players with great endurance and elite kicking ability. This keeps the ball moving. Florent, J-Mac, Stephens, Chad, Campbell, and Gulden are this style of player. Then you have Parker, Mills and Heeney who are medium paced are elite kicks and brilliant one on one. Thats a great midfield mix for fast flowing football. Papley wins many centre clearances when he goes in. Where does Kennedy fit in? Probably competing for midfield time with Rowbottom and the Swans seem to be backing the 4th year player.

3) Other midfielders are more versatile. Parker and Heeney are damaging forward players. Florents is a good shot for goal. Mills is a brilliant half back. J-Mac and Campbell can play half back as well as wing. Gulden can play half forward. Kennedy does not seem as versatile.

Disrespectful to say, in your opinion, that Sheldrick is overrated. He played his role and did well for first game. Give him a break, mate

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I think with Kennedy and the midfield it’s a number of factors:

1) 666 rule. Before this rule you used to have bodies charging into the centre square from half forward / half flank. You needed to be big and powerful like Kennedy to withstand that pressure. Now these guys are inside 50 for centre square and it opens up space in the middle. Quicker players are advantaged by this rule. The Florent goal was an illustration of the space created by 666. This rule change is not to Kennedy’s benefit.

2) Game style change. The Swans midfield is now smaller with quicker players with great endurance and elite kicking ability. This keeps the ball moving. Florent, J-Mac, Stephens, Chad, Campbell, and Gulden are this style of player. Then you have Parker, Mills and Heeney who are medium paced are elite kicks and brilliant one on one. Thats a great midfield mix for fast flowing football. Papley wins many centre clearances when he goes in. Where does Kennedy fit in? Probably competing for midfield time with Rowbottom and the Swans seem to be backing the 4th year player.

3) Other midfielders are more versatile. Parker and Heeney are damaging forward players. Florents is a good shot for goal. Mills is a brilliant half back. J-Mac and Campbell can play half back as well as wing. Gulden can play half forward. Kennedy does not seem as versatile.
    I think we are making a mistake and we are over rating some and shafting one of our better players in the process . Just my opinion

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast