Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 2 vs Geelong Cats @ SCG - Pre-Game Thread

my sense is that for the coaching dept to go with the mid rotation they have (inclusive of less experienced mids) that they believe that these players are "ready until they are not".

It's a very long season in AFL footy and what we start with can be so different to the middle and or the end of the season re team selections.

So in my summary.......... the coaching dept and captains went with and the guys coming back to the mids are "ready until they are not".........and obviously match ups and or styles of play to negate certain opposition strengths will change some weeks.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

There is no way Kennedy will be (or should be) dropped yet. They will give him at least 6-7 games and probably consider it after then if his form hasn’t changed.

Sheldrick for Warner is clear.

Will be Campbell or Stephens for Lloyd. I’m thinking they will drop Campbell. Bloody harsh though.

Wicks for Papley when he is back.

McDonald probably doesn’t deserve a game ahead of Stephens or Campbell but he is important to our structure so stays on that basis.

Veterans List
    Warner and Lloyd in and Sheldrick and Kennedy out. Kennedy medical sub.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    There is no way Kennedy will be (or should be) dropped yet. They will give him at least 6-7 games and probably consider it after then if his form hasn’t changed.

Sheldrick for Warner is clear.

Will be Campbell or Stephens for Lloyd. I’m thinking they will drop Campbell. Bloody harsh though.

Wicks for Papley when he is back.

McDonald probably doesn’t deserve a game ahead of Stephens or Campbell but he is important to our structure so stays on that basis.
    Hmmmmm. Seems a retrograde step to drop either Campbell or Stephens. Only alternatives are Kennedy or Cunningham, unless Wicks is dropped and Campbell plays forward.

Tough call.

Joey is needed in the team but not in so much in midfield. The big bodied guys mentioned are all quicker than him. Midfielders require skill and speed and we need our young brigade to gain experience. Even Mills hasn’t played there as much as he should due to his stint at HB. So Joey should be used occasionally when needed in the middle and spend most of his time up forward. Much more value than Wicks, who needs to work his way back via the ressies. Lloyd and Chad in for Wicks and Gus, though it won’t be long until Gus is back- thought he went well for his first game. Ladhams will get his chance- let him earn his spot by playing well in the twos. Logan needs a run of games- no point having him in and out at this stage.

Lloyd will steady the backline, which was a bit shaky at times. Paddy is a great addition and we have good cover in Pelican, Fox an COR. Gould and O’Connor should get chances later on as it’s a long season and we’re bound to get injuries, unfortunately, as all clubs do. Hopefully not to our most important players!

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I think Hayward is a better matchup for Stewart. I think he does a fantastic role when nullifying the intercept defender of the opposition.
    You may be right. Especially in the aerial contests at which Stewart excels.

Such a difficult selection choice ahead for this week. I read that McInerney hurt his leg late in the game. Let's hope he comes up for the game. Assuming that, and that Papps is still one week away, then Chad replaces Sheldrick and Lloyd replaces either Joey or Campbell. Whichever of the latter two misses out, goes to sub.

There is also a chance they will drop McDonald but I think he will get another chance. Bringing in Ladhams instead of McDonald to play alongside McLean makes our forward line look too cumbersome and slow in my view. Armetey would be a better bet than Ladhams for his mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Such a difficult selection choice ahead for this week. I read that McInerney hurt his leg late in the game. Let's hope he comes up for the game. Assuming that, and that Papps is still one week away, then Chad replaces Sheldrick and Lloyd replaces either Joey or Campbell. Whichever of the latter two misses out, goes to sub.

There is also a chance they will drop McDonald but I think he will get another chance. Bringing in Ladhams instead of McDonald to play alongside McLean makes our forward line look too cumbersome and slow in my view. Armetey would be a better bet than Ladhams for his mobility.
    McInerney should be alright. Longmire said in his post-match press conference, that it was just a knock to the knee, that didn't cause any structural damage and that they didn't think it would a problem. He's also not listed in our short injury list; which is Papley, 1 or 2 weeks and Naismith, season. Lloyd and Warner were also listed as health and safety protocols, but it seems that they'll be clear for the Geelong game.

The knock on Ladhams is not that he is slow and lumbering. He may be tall but he does really well at ground level. Port fans have reported that his marking is well below what might be desired. Also, I think his non-selection last week points to an issue with his discipline, fitness, or mindset because he is otherwise an upgrade on McLean (apart from the marking - he is a better ruck and much more agile and also a proven goal kicker at least the equal of McLean, especially on the run).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Swans website is asking fans to pick and submit their round 2 team.

Why would they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

Why would they do that?
    For a bit of fun. No deeper significance than that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

Why would they do that?
    Same reason they ask anything: so they can collect consumer data for marketing.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast