Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rd 2 vs Geelong Cats @ SCG - Pre-Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Newer news (not as positive):

'Justin McInerney ended up with a hyperextension injury towards the backend of the game. He had an MRI which revealed he has a knee-joint sprain so he is going to be a test for this weekend.'

Injury Update: McInerney a test for Round 2
    Thanks for the update. It sounds 50/50 whether he will play this week. Given a 6 day break, they may give him another week to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Newer news (not as positive):

'Justin McInerney ended up with a hyperextension injury towards the backend of the game. He had an MRI which revealed he has a knee-joint sprain so he is going to be a test for this weekend.'

Injury Update: McInerney a test for Round 2
    It'd be a shame if he didn't make it. I thought most of his disposals in the last game were brilliant. My favourite was the lightning quick handball in heavy traffic, that he gave for one of Parker's goals.

I'm hoping they give McInerney a proper chance to recover.

Wet night at the SCG, I would think McInerney and McDonald out, Warner and Lloyd in. Kennedy back in the engine room (for now). Muscle their midfield—put a bit of hurt on Danger and Selwood—and go a bit smaller in attack.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the back half will gel with Lloyd back in.

But I'm also not convinced by JPK at half-back, mostly on team balance, rather than with regard to him as a player. A back seven of McCartin 1 and 2, Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham, Blakey and Campbell, with the option of rolling McInerney back from a wing when the situation demands it does not leave much room. I'd have thought Kennedy is better playing forward, but we are also a bit spoilt for choice there, with Parker and Heeney offering more dynamism drifting forward, Wicks, Gulden and Papley forward defensive pressure, and McLean, Franklin and McDonald providing the big body targets. I genuinely think that it is the end of the road for Kennedy, and the issue now is managing a difficult situation: he is a depth mid, behind Parker and probably Rowbottom as grafting inside player (they both offer more run), and Mills has taken to that centre role so well.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post

Wet night at the SCG, I would think McInerney and McDonald out, Warner and Lloyd in. Kennedy back in the engine room (for now). Muscle their midfield—put a bit of hurt on Danger and Selwood—and go a bit smaller in attack.

But I'm also not convinced by JPK at half-back, mostly on team balance, rather than with regard to him as a player. A back seven of McCartin 1 and 2, Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham, Blakey and Campbell, with the option of rolling McInerney back from a wing when the situation demands it does not leave much room. I'd have thought Kennedy is better playing forward, but we are also a bit spoilt for choice there, with Parker and Heeney offering more dynamism drifting forward, Wicks, Gulden and Papley forward defensive pressure, and McLean, Franklin and McDonald providing the big body targets. I genuinely think that it is the end of the road for Kennedy, and the issue now is managing a difficult situation: he is a depth mid, behind Parker and probably Rowbottom as grafting inside player (they both offer more run), and Mills has taken to that centre role so well.
    Kennedy would get more than 18 touches

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Kennedy would get more than 18 touches
    than? On reflection, don't bother.

Big questions for me about his efficiency with those touches. And that's an issue for me with him playing off a HBF. We need zip in that role to break lines (Blakey, McInernery), and reliable penetration by foot to open up the ground: those crafty 45s that Errol and Campbell deliver.

It shouldn’t be the end of the road for Kennedy. I suggested in a post early last season that Kennedy’s job at the Swans was just about done. People were very upset at that opinion.

They signed him up again when there was doubt over Parker’s signature.

I think what would have been great for Kennedy was an Alistair Clarkson style conversation where he went to a club who really needed his contested ball inside craft and leadership. Maybe a Gold Coast

He probably would have got a two year contract instead of the Swans one year contract.

I don’t want the ROK season to happen to Josh.

It was telling when Paul Roos was asked in 2014 whether he needed a ROK to come to the developing Melbourne side in 2015. Roos replied that it may have been good if he came after the 2013 season. ROK more or less missed the boat. I hope Kennedy has not missed the boat.

Suspended by the MRP
    than? On reflection, don't bother.

Big questions for me about his efficiency with those touches. And that's an issue for me with him playing off a HBF. We need zip in that role to break lines (Blakey, McInernery), and reliable penetration by foot to open up the ground: those crafty 45s that Errol and Campbell deliver.
    Averaged 24 touches and 73% efficiency last yr if thats what you are looking for . In the MIDS

JPK also started slow last year (in the MIDS) with only 17 possessions in round 1. He might just need a game or two to warm up.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I'd also just like to say: the next player to so much as touch my love child JMac and put me through a week or torment as to whether or not he will play this week, I'm coming around to burn your goddamn house down.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

It's not Kennedy's ball winning ability that I question. And he may well be the right selection on a wet night. The problem with Kennedy is what happens when we don't win the ball. Kennedy doesn't offer much defensive resistance against opposition players with the ball. They just waltz around him. That's what makes Rowbottom a better midfielder in our 2022 team.

We shouldn't understate the importance of the Medisub. It's nice to have someone we can rely on to step in when needed. And it shouldn't be someone who can use the game time in the VFL. It's a waste of developmental time to have a young player sit on the bench all game and lose the continuity of playing in the reserves, building a case for selection.

Kennedy perfectly fits the profile for what we should want in a medisub. I don't consider it as being dropped from the team. The medisub is a positional selection like any other in the team selection of 23 players. It should be a thoughtful selection, not just an afterthought.

No risks with Mc Inerny.

Out: McInerny
    In: Warner

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's not Kennedy's ball winning ability that I question. And he may well be the right selection on a wet night. The problem with Kennedy is what happens when we don't win the ball. Kennedy doesn't offer much defensive resistance against opposition players with the ball. They just waltz around him. That's what makes Rowbottom a better midfielder in our 2022 team.

We shouldn't understate the importance of the Medisub. It's nice to have someone we can rely on to step in when needed. And it shouldn't be someone who can use the game time in the VFL. It's a waste of developmental time to have a young player sit on the bench all game and lose the continuity of playing in the reserves, building a case for selection.

Kennedy perfectly fits the profile for what we should want in a medisub. I don't consider it as being dropped from the team. The medisub is a positional selection like any other in the team selection of 23 players. It should be a thoughtful selection, not just an afterthought.
    As much as it saddens me as Joey is just a legend of our club and the AFL, you are 100% correct Ludwig. He just lacks the leg speed now to apply defensive pressure when we don't get the first touch.
    Perhaps the aim of playing him off HB is to save his legs and get him into the contest once the opposition on ballers have started to tire?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast