Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 2 vs Geelong Cats @ SCG - Pre-Game Thread

Rd 2 vs Geelong Cats @ SCG - Pre-Game Thread

It's a real shame about the predicted Sydney weather. Firstly, I am just jack of it raining. Secondly, I think it reduces our competitive edge over the still very good Cats. I do wonder if it may play a part at selection too.

With this in mind, my predicted changes for this week are:

Ins: Warner, Lloyd
    Outs: Sheldrick, McDonald

Fox also to replace COR as emergency.

I want McDonald to play a lot this year but if it is wet, it may be better to go a little smaller. I personally would drop Wicks over Sheldrick based on the performances from last week but I think Wicks will get the nod. As much as it really pains me to say it, I also think JPK is under real pressure to hold his spot if he is retained in his half-back role.

Assuming Tom Papley is not available.

Outs - Kennedy and Sheldrick

Ins - Chad, Lloyd

Moving Kennedy to medical sub.

People will be surprised with Kennedy, however with a half back (Lloyd) and a pure midfielder (Chad) coming back in, I don’t know where Kennedys role is? I like Kennedy as medical sub because he can come on a play as a pure midfielder while they adjust the team around him.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Assuming Tom Papley is not available.

Outs - Kennedy and Sheldrick

Ins - Chad, Lloyd

Moving Kennedy to medical sub.

People will be surprised with Kennedy, however with a half back (Lloyd) and a pure midfielder (Chad) coming back in, I don’t know where Kennedys role is? I like Kennedy as medical sub because he can come on a play as a pure midfielder while they adjust the team around him.
    we are mad if we drop Kennedy .he is a leader and a great. just play him in the mids , that is where he belongs

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    we are mad if we drop Kennedy .he is a leader and a great. just play him in the mids , that is where he belongs
    I never thought that ROK would be dropped, particularly after his 2012 Norm Smith but it happened 18 months later.

If Kennedy was to play, I agree that he should be in the midfield.

Our midfield play has changed dramatically in the last three years. We are now a fast, highly skilled midfield that moves the ball swiftly and always looks corridor. Going down the line is a last resort. Kennedy is a coal face midfielder who uses his brute strength to win contested ball. Unfortunately for Kennedy the midfield style now is to have less stoppages, keep the ball in hand and move it quickly. This is not Kennedy’s style.

If JPK goes into the midfield, then what do we do with Chad? I'd prefer Chad in the midfield.

PS: Don't knock Banga on this post. He was just going with my suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If JPK goes into the midfield, then what do we do with Chad? I'd prefer Chad in the midfield.

PS: Don't knock Banga on this post. He was just going with my suggestions.
    I want to acknowledge that my above view on the Swans midfield strategy was taken from Ludwigs ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I want to acknowledge that my above view on the Swans midfield strategy was taken from Ludwigs ideas.
    Good on you BS! Where to play Joey is a dilemma. As you suggest, he belongs in midfield but is no longer suited to our style. He is too slow in defence, though we only have one game to go on. His leadership is great so moving him to medical sub is a bit premature imho. Why not try him in the forward pocket? His strength can really come to the fore and he can really help our other forwards. I would drop Wicks and Logan for Lloyd and Chad (Logan for this week only if it’s wet) and retain Gus. Saw enough for him to keep his place. Young Wicks is a bit of a worry for me. He did a few good things, as any player should as a minimum, but he gave away frees for high tackles, and let himself down with his goal kicking. To me, this shows a lack of concentration and I don’t think he has reached the required standard.

He needs to find form in the twos. I would rather play our draftees at this stage. As you all know, I’ve never been a fan but trying to be objective. Am I too harsh on the lad? Hope I’m not morphing into TB!!😊

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    McVeigh was relatively slow when he went back but it didn't stop him being a great half back. As long as Joey's mind, hands and feet (kicking) are still quick I would like to think he can work out how to be his best down there.
    If it does work out, his experience and leadership will be invaluable. [/glasshalffull]
    If it is wet will they play McLean? How are Joey's rucking skills? We have seen Parker ruck at times ...
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    McVeigh was relatively slow when he went back but it didn't stop him being a great half back. As long as Joey's mind, hands and feet (kicking) are still quick I would like to think he can work out how to be his best down there.
    If it does work out, his experience and leadership will be invaluable. [/glasshalffull]
    If it is wet will they play McLean? How are Joey's rucking skills? We have seen Parker ruck at times ...
    McVeigh & JPK have completely different skill sets. McVeigh had great vision and could kick well off both feet. JPK is and has always been a contested beast. Take him away from the contest and, IMO, you take away his main strength. I hope I am wrong (I normally am). JPK is a champion and I shouldn't question him so quickly.

Veterans List
    He usually takes a few games to hit his straps. But he made some awful mistakes.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    McVeigh & JPK have completely different skill sets. McVeigh had great vision and could kick well off both feet. JPK is and has always been a contested beast. Take him away from the contest and, IMO, you take away his main strength. I hope I am wrong (I normally am). JPK is a champion and I shouldn't question him so quickly.
    Agreed, and posted on this elsewhere. McVeigh had exceptional footy IQ and the skills to match, particularly by foot over mid to short range. When Scott Pendlebury says you're the best decision maker in the game (as he once did about McVeigh), you're pretty damn elite. Plus, he was a natural runner.

JPK is a contested ball beast - and was the best in the comp for the 2010-20 decade. You play him there, maybe like last year where he sometimes starts outside the square. But the midfield is his terrain. Get him in there.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Agreed, and posted on this elsewhere. McVeigh had exceptional footy IQ and the skills to match, particularly by foot over mid to short range. When Scott Pendlebury says you're the best decision maker in the game (as he once did about McVeigh), you're pretty damn elite. Plus, he was a natural runner.

JPK is a contested ball beast - and was the best in the comp for the 2010-20 decade. You play him there, maybe like last year where he sometimes starts outside the square. But the midfield is his terrain. Get him in there.
    Maybe it’s just me but I think the last 5 hames of half back flank from Nick Blakey have been better than anything McVeigh, Lloyd, Shaw, Keneally, Matner or Malceski produced off half back.

We need more of that fast style of Half Back Flanker who delivers the ball well. We need J-Mac and Campbell running through there as well. They can even attack the goals given space as Campbell expertly displayed.

Are people wanting this Kennedy half back concept to work at the expense of Campbell and J-Mac running through there?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast