Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Rd 2 vs Geelong Cats @ SCG - Match Thread

Nice one, AG!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Just saying, it'll be a miracle if half the side doesn't pick up Covid tonight.
    Praise the Lord !!!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    The match committee certainly seem spooked to put Joey into the centre square. It's still experimental at this stage and a lot will depend on how others go throughout the year (They're doing very well so far). I reckon Josh is aware of his place in the team right now and fully understood when he signed on again that if these kids continued on the same trajectory, he might find it hard to keep a spot.

It's a long season and he'll prove his worth to the squad regardless of how many games (or where) he actually plays. Great signs that we can actually afford to approach these types of scenarios.
    My view is that not putting JPK in the centre square is for one or more of these reasons:
    1. A deliberate decision for the post-Kennedy era to give our younger players experience.
    2. Kennedy is no longer a part of plan A for the centre, but could be there as a plan B if needed if the younger players aren't working out or we're behind and need to try something. Plan A has been working out, so no need for the plan B.
    3. Our game plan has evolved for more pace and an aging Kennedy lacks the pace for the game plan.

I feel Kennedy will be retiring after this year. Let's hope the rest of the players help to give Kennedy a send off with a premiership in his last game.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    My view is that not putting JPK in the centre square is for one or more of these reasons:
    1. A deliberate decision for the post-Kennedy era to give our younger players experience.
    2. Kennedy is no longer a part of plan A for the centre, but could be there as a plan B if needed if the younger players aren't working out or we're behind and need to try something. Plan A has been working out, so no need for the plan B.
    3. Our game plan has evolved for more pace and an aging Kennedy lacks the pace for the game plan.

I feel Kennedy will be retiring after this year. Let's hope the rest of the players help to give Kennedy a send off with a premiership in his last game.
    I thought Kennedy was a highly effective player against Geelong (less so against the Giants). He played less in defence, but more up and down the wing. I don't know how McInerney's inevitable (and hopefully imminent) return will accommodate Kennedy playing such a role, but he's still got a fair bit to offer.

I think he (or more accurately, a combination of he, Parker and Mills) does leave the team a bit exposed at centre bounces but less so in stoppage work around the ground. He's not been involved even in the latter over the first two rounds, which does point to a deliberate decision to leave the heavy lifting to others. But I imagine he and the coaches will be tweaking that aspect of his game over the season, depending on other available personnel.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819