Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 3 vs Western Bulldogs @ Marvel - Pre-Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Something that will be examined again this week vs another quality outfit in the Dogs is our current strategy of minimising key player dependency out of our backline attack.

Sometimes we can be looking for patterns that don't really exist but we think they do...

But what I noticed distinctly on the weekend against the Cats was such a diversified approach to our exits which is such a critical part of footy as we know.

Whether it was Campbell, Lloyd, lizard, Cunningham etc our ability to have give and go exits from our kick ins was remarkable.

Seriously lethal and the Cats had to set their defence deeper because of how clean our exits were via uncontested by higher risk short passing by foot predominantly
    Spot on Auntie. This was reflected in our accurate shots on goal- a beautiful score line! Such a contrast to our final quarter effort in last year’s final. Hope we can keep it up as accurate kicking for goal wins matches, and our field kicking has improved compared to last year. But we can get a lot better still!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Spot on Auntie. This was reflected in our accurate shots on goal- a beautiful score line! Such a contrast to our final quarter effort in last year’s final. Hope we can keep it up as accurate kicking for goal wins matches, and our field kicking has improved compared to last year. But we can get a lot better still!
    Leigh Montagna commented this week our current accurate goal kicking rate is not sustainable and highlighted our clearances & contested ball stats after 2 rounds are not great (6th & 11th in comp I think he mentioned). As such, is reserved that we're in premiership contention.

David King who's been bullish with our chances, seems to have cooled down a bit after hearing this, but added watch out if we get tougher around the ball. King highlighting why Longmire was focusing so much on our contested ball during the off season, as an area we needed to improve on to take that next step in becoming a top 4 team.

The Western Bulldogs have a deep midfield as we do. I trust our men against theirs BUT for a matchup on Bontimpelli.

I doubt Kennedy will be tasked with it given his absence from centre clearances to date. Everyone else seems a bit undersized.

Thoughts?

Suspended by the MRP
    Hope Roberts debuts

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I thought Montagna was talking more about our efficiency from F50 entries which could be sustainable if we keep kicking to the best forward option.
    34 goals from 96 F50's.
    Although kicking ~2 goals to 1 behind (34.15) is not likely to be maintained across a season.
    I guess they two things are pretty closely related and can be considered the same thing. If you kick a goal there isn't a chance for a repeat I50.
    Don't mind me, I'm just thinking as I type
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The Western Bulldogs have a deep midfield as we do. I trust our men against theirs BUT for a matchup on Bontimpelli.

I doubt Kennedy will be tasked with it given his absence from centre clearances to date. Everyone else seems a bit undersized.

Thoughts?
    The Bont is a nightmare matchup for all teams. Arguably, the best player in the competition at present(Petraca has a case too!). I think Mills we go with him around the ground but someone else like Rampe may go to him when he goes forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Apologies if this has already been noted but a Swans supporter I follow on another platform posted the following on Rowbottom:

James Rowbottom after two games is ranked sixth in the league for tackles (14), third for pressure acts (57) and LEADS THE LEAGUE for defensive half pressure acts (32)!
    Hi Vonsteinman,

Great figures there.

His uncle BT was saying in the commentary last Friday night that James had made his fitness his focus in the off-season.. his speed over 2km. He came back with PBs in all of the time trials.. the other night he had 90% time on ground and covered 15.4km, the most distance covered by anyone on the ground. His hard work is paying off!

As an aside - in the off-season for "fun", he and his cousin - BT's son Harry (who is a great lad - not sure how with his genetics!!!) They did a Great Ocean Walk along the coast of Victoria. 100km in total! He is anything but a slacker!!

Senior Player
    Injury update. McInerney is a test.

Fox and Riordan injured in VFL match and out for a few weeks.

Injury Update: Swans defenders sidelined

Rowbottom was breaking 6mins for the 2km which is well above average
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Amartey in, McDonald out, only change

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Amartey in, McDonald out, only change
    McDonald wasn't on the plane according to BF

Suspended by the MRP
    Christ

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast