Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Cyril Rioli left Hawthorn

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    What a complex situation.

What I took from the article is that Clarkson post his Hawks retirement is doing his best to connect with his former Hawks senior players. He tried to meet up with Rioli in Darwin even though he was no longer a Hawks employee.

He came to the SCG for Franklin’s moment and wore a Swans scarf.

Great to see a side of Clarkson who loves his players and wants to show them care even though they no longer play for him.
    While he looked good in a Swans scarf.....hell, most people do:.....Cyril refused to meet with him. What does that say?

Look, he might actually be a 'nice bloke' outside footy but as Hawthorn coach he proved to be quite unlikable.

You seem to enjoy putting up positive character references for known Swans enemies. Hell, I like to find the good in people too....but this is footy!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    He was a cadet leader at his high fee private school. Do we need to know more?
    What an utterly ridiculous comment.

Few, if any, students at “high fee private school(s)” choose to attend there. It’s the parent’s decision. And the parents choose it to give the children the best opportunities in life. Whether the decision is a correct one or achieves the intended goal is a different matter. And as for cadets, extra curricular activities are mandatory. The student (or parent) have no option but participate. And the options in year 9, during Kennett’s time, would likely have been sea scouts, cadets or St Johns (the latter being met with derision by peers). A cadet leader is and appointment recognising leadership qualities by peers and staff. To ridicule a student for this is akin to mocking them for being elected to captain of football, a prefect or captain of the school.

So yes, TBC, you need to know more. Like Kennett or not, to tar every student who has attended a attended a private school and hold a position of responsibility is a somewhat pathetic stereotype from a grown adult. Josh Kennedy was a private school attendee. Nick Smith was a captain of football at the same private school as Kennett, and,
    I believe, a cadet. The fact that Kennett was a cadet leader only demonstrated he was perhaps destined for a leadership position. But, as we see littered throughout history up until this very day, not all capable leaders are “good” leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    While he looked good in a Swans scarf.....hell, most people do:.....Cyril refused to meet with him. What does that say?

Look, he might actually be a 'nice bloke' outside footy but as Hawthorn coach he proved to be quite unlikable.

You seem to enjoy putting up positive character references for known Swans enemies. Hell, I like to find the good in people too....but this is footy!
    The first 2 paragraphs are very valid.

Who doesn’t look good in a Swans scarf? And Jr not meeting with Clarko attests to dislike of Clarko or his principles and an unwillingness to forgive (you can’t force someone to like another person).

Clarko might indeed be a nice guy away from footy. So might Bevo, Chins McGuire and Malthouse. Or they might not, until you know them personally, you don’t really know. But the public personas that we saw were generally quite grating on people outside their clubs. And even to some inside the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post

Few, if any, students at “high fee private school(s)” choose to attend there. It’s the parent’s decision. And the parents choose it to give the children the best opportunities in life. Whether the decision is a correct one or achieves the intended goal is a different matter. And as for cadets, extra curricular activities are mandatory. The student (or parent) have no option but participate. And the options in year 9, during Kennett’s time, would likely have been sea scouts, cadets or St Johns (the latter being met with derision by peers). A cadet leader is and appointment recognising leadership qualities by peers and staff. To ridicule a student for this is akin to mocking them for being elected to captain of football, a prefect or captain of the school.

So yes, TBC, you need to know more. Like Kennett or not, to tar every student who has attended a attended a private school and hold a position of responsibility is a somewhat pathetic stereotype from a grown adult. Josh Kennedy was a private school attendee. Nick Smith was a captain of football at the same private school as Kennett, and,
    I believe, a cadet. The fact that Kennett was a cadet leader only demonstrated he was perhaps destined for a leadership position. But, as we see littered throughout history up until this very day, not all capable leaders are “good” leaders.
    What a brilliant post. Should be the counter punch to all independent school bashing.

Independent school bashing is littered with envy and jealousy.

Lance Franklin and Dan Hannas also attended independent schools. I think Callam Mills did LRT did. Issac Heeney, Shannon Grant and Blakey were fine Waverley College students.

Want to trash independent schools you might as well trash half the Swans team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    What a brilliant post. Should be the counter punch to all independent school bashing.

Independent school bashing is littered with envy and jealousy.

Lance Franklin and Dan Hannas also attended independent schools. I think Callam Mills did LRT did. Issac Heeney, Shannon Grant and Blakey were fine Waverley College students.

Want to trash independent schools you might as well trash half the Swans team.
    😂😂😂

Shannon Grant??? Fine Waverley College student??? Went to gaol for bashing a woman. Isaac moved to Waverley for the last year or two so he could participate more easily in the Academy. The private schools in Victoria have such a stranglehold on AFL development it's impossible to avoid. They give scholarships to promising footballers, removing them from other systems. Cyril came down from the NT to board at Scotch because of football..

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post

I was not having a go at private schools. I was having a go at the idea of cadets in general. Teenage boys playing tin soldiers is hardly community service or a worthwhile extra curricular experience. (And if joining St Johns Ambos is looked at with derision by peers as you say, then there is a fair bit of work to do in informing these young men about what constitutes a valuable use of their time.)

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    The private schools in Victoria have such a stranglehold on AFL development it's impossible to avoid. They give scholarships to promising footballers, removing them from other systems. Cyril came down from the NT to board at Scotch because of football..
    Agree entirely. State schools are gutted of their sporting talent by private schools offering “general excellence” scholarships. Later you hear commentators referring to the star recruit from xxxx grammar school when the kid learnt all their footy at xxx tech in the western suburbs. And so the myth is perpetuated.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Agree entirely. State schools are gutted of their sporting talent by private schools offering “general excellence” scholarships. Later you hear commentators referring to the star recruit from xxxx grammar school when the kid learnt all their footy at xxx tech in the western suburbs. And so the myth is perpetuated.
    I've always thought getting AFL into GPS schools in Sydney properly will be a way to produce more draftees here. There was a lot of resistance
    from the rugby crowd ten years ago. That may have lessened a bit now as they bow to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I've always thought getting AFL into GPS schools in Sydney properly will be a way to produce more draftees here. There was a lot of resistance
    from the rugby crowd ten years ago. That may have lessened a bit now as they bow to reality.
    Rugby still very much the dominant sport and while its getting stronger the school comp as I understand it is nowhere near as strong as the general sydney league. To be honest it does get quite ridiculous when talented boys are forced to play for their GPS team rather than their far better quality Sydney AFL team.

At my sons school they point blank refused to put an AFL team in place as they didnt want to diminish the rugby program.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Rugby still very much the dominant sport and while its getting stronger the school comp as I understand it is nowhere near as strong as the general sydney league. To be honest it does get quite ridiculous when talented boys are forced to play for their GPS team rather than their far better quality Sydney AFL team.

At my sons school they point blank refused to put an AFL team in place as they didnt want to diminish the rugby program.
    Same at my sons school. They pretended they didn't know what AFL was almost, even though there were a number of boys there that were
    very good junior AFL players including one that was on the Swans list for a couple years. Though it was a great school in many other respects.
    Just not their preciousness and defensiveness about rugby.

Senior Player
    Re the joke itself that was considered racist.

I was born in Hong Kong so am from a minority group in Australia and I have experienced racism a few times.

Obviously Kennett didn’t think the Riolis were poor, has Cyril would have been on good coin.

If he had made the same joke (lend you some coins to fix your ripped jeans) to a white partner of another player, it would not be considered racist.

It is because First Nations people are over-represented in lower socio-economic circles of our society, and often looked down upon as poor and maligned as dole bludgers etc.

So the same seemingly harmless joke said to an Aboriginal person is a land mine as there is increased sensitivity due to different life experiences.

Joke and off the cuff comments are very tricky these days, whether or not they are racist, misogynistic, homophobic, ableist, xxx-shaming, etc is entirely from the perspective of the person being comment on/joked about, not the intent of the speaker.

I am not defending Kennett, just observing that societal expectations have changed significantly in the last couple of decades.

My 15 year old daughter accused me of being transphobic because I felt more secure that another kid who was coming over to sleepover, identified as male after being born female but hasn’t had any surgery done yet, instead of being born and identifying as male.

My rationale was that he did not have the same hormones, physiology and lads experiences that treat women poorly, and so I felt less worried about a sexual assault happening. The sad reality is male on female sexual violence happens way too often.

But…. my 15 year old and 17 year old viewed this as mistreating the kid (who wasn’t even present for the discussion) and being transphobic, as I was viewing them as “less male” because I felt there was a lesser likelihood of a sexual assault!

Every conversation can be a potential landmine these days!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast