Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Cyril Rioli left Hawthorn

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Why Cyril Rioli left Hawthorn

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    This has been a bit of an open secret among a couple of Hawks fans I know (I know, I need better friends) but probably not the full extent of it, or the depth of his anger. For example, he’s clearly peeved at others like Clarko.

Let’s also remember what a low rent club they are. Their supporters were first to target Goodes, their then Chair Andrew Newbold denied it had anything to do with race and was the last holdout on his club addressing it after the West Coast game where it reached its worst.

But of course, his reward for that was a spot on the AFL Commission.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    What seemed strange to me was the lack of indigenous players coming out in support of Goodesy. Maybe they were afraid to.

The arrogant, grubby, Family Club that played unsociable football that permeated down to it's supporters. I now wonder if Buddy left for reasons other than those given at the time.

By the way the current coach was the one seen kneeing players in the hamstring at centre bounces. Who can forget that disgraceful sniper Matthews.
    Last edited by Nico; 3rd April 2022 at 09:00 AM.

Senior Player
    There is always a lot of talk about "culture" at footy clubs. But a lot of it is just a virtue signaling exercise. The irony of
    Kennett being rude to Rioli's wife during the Indigenous Week game shouldn't be lost on anyone. But the really telling comment
    from Kennett was him saying he spoke to her as he would speak to one of his kids. I always felt during the period when
    Adam was being assaulted that it was likely many other indigenous players were intimidated into not speaking out as they
    saw what happened when Adam spoke out. Even that phrase (speaking out) is a misnomer as really all Adam was really
    doing was stating a number of undeniable facts.
    Adam was supported by a number of indigenous and non-indigenous players at the time, but they were thin on the
    ground I agree.

Veterans List
    Wow.....but who is honestly surprised by this?

Scumthorn.....sadly they are simply a reflection of this country as a whole. Lots to be done yet......for real, not simply for 'image'.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    There is always a lot of talk about "culture" at footy clubs. But a lot of it is just a virtue signaling exercise. The irony of
    Kennett being rude to Rioli's wife during the Indigenous Week game shouldn't be lost on anyone. But the really telling comment
    from Kennett was him saying he spoke to her as he would speak to one of his kids. I always felt during the period when
    Adam was being assaulted that it was likely many other indigenous players were intimidated into not speaking out as they
    saw what happened when Adam spoke out. Even that phrase (speaking out) is a misnomer as really all Adam was really
    doing was stating a number of undeniable facts.
    Adam was supported by a number of indigenous and non-indigenous players at the time, but they were thin on the
    ground I agree.
    So speaking like you do with your children doesn't necessarily equate with how you speak with others. So if he is condescending and a smart A with his children then he shows he is a bully of the first order. Sounds like he finds it funny to make these sorts of comments. In the end the voters saw through him and he lost the unlosable election.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    So speaking like you do with your children doesn't necessarily equate with how you speak with others. So if he is condescending and a smart A with his children then he shows he is a bully of the first order. Sounds like he finds it funny to make these sorts of comments. In the end the voters saw through him and he lost the unlosable election.
    He was a cadet leader at his high fee private school. Do we need to know more? When you look up bully in the dictionary there’s a picture of Kennett.

What a complex situation.

What I took from the article is that Clarkson post his Hawks retirement is doing his best to connect with his former Hawks senior players. He tried to meet up with Rioli in Darwin even though he was no longer a Hawks employee.

He came to the SCG for Franklin’s moment and wore a Swans scarf.

Great to see a side of Clarkson who loves his players and wants to show them care even though they no longer play for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    What a complex situation.

What I took from the article is that Clarkson post his Hawks retirement is doing his best to connect with his former Hawks senior players. He tried to meet up with Rioli in Darwin even though he was no longer a Hawks employee.

He came to the SCG for Franklin’s moment and wore a Swans scarf.

Great to see a side of Clarkson who loves his players and wants to show them care even though they no longer play for him.
    You took THAT from the article?

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    He was a cadet leader at his high fee private school. Do we need to know more? When you look up bully in the dictionary there’s a picture of Kennett.
    Kennett was a cadet leader or Rioli was a cadet leader?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    You took THAT from the article?
    Yep. The well behaved white fella should always be celebrated. Lets get around Clarko!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Kennett was a cadet leader or Rioli was a cadet leader?
    Kennett.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast