Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 4 vs North Melbourne @ SCG - Pre-Game Thread

Veteran Site Admin
    Sheldrick's grunt around the contest in last week's VFL game was excellent. (The rest of his game was more mixed.) Given the likely weather conditions, I won't be surprised to see him come in to play the small forward role, maybe at Wick's expense. I'm not in the get-rid-of-Wicks camp, but that 50m penalty he gave away late last week was undisciplined and may have cost us the chance to snatch a game (albeit one we didn't deserve to snatch).

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Sheldrick's grunt around the contest in last week's VFL game was excellent. (The rest of his game was more mixed.) Given the likely weather conditions, I won't be surprised to see him come in to play the small forward role, maybe at Wick's expense. I'm not in the get-rid-of-Wicks camp, but that 50m penalty he gave away late last week was undisciplined and may have cost us the chance to snatch a game (albeit one we didn't deserve to snatch).
    The opposite of pressure is doing dumb things that give the opposition chances . He does this every week , even more lately . Have always said when he can 't bring the pressure he doesn 't have much else to offer . Its a shame because he was great at the pressure stuff

Weather conditions not looking favourable for big players.

I’m resorting to a two tall forward line (Buddy, Amartey).

Need Amartey to back up Ladhams in the ruck.

Like to swing Pat McCartin forward if Kangaroos are small up forward and Swans resting ruckman are not having an impact up forward.

Ins: Ladhams, Sheldrick, J-Mac

Outs: Hickey, McLean, Wicks

I originally was omitting Rowbottom however I think the conditions will suit him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'm not in the dump Wicks camp either, but wouldn't mind trying some other options, given that Wicks hasn't been in the best of form to start the season. Sheldrick is certainly one of those options, especially in wet conditions. The other two I would consider are Roberts, who played very well in the VFL and Ronke, who looks to be in better form this year and has kicked some nice goals in the VFL.

Kennedy was again absent from CBAs last week, so has to be in line to be replaced by JMac on the wing. The other option is to drop Stephens, who I think has played well enough to keep his spot, and should stay in the side.

We could drop a tall forward, probably McLean, in the wet conditions; or swap JMac for Wicks and shuffle around a few position, which we can easily do given the flexibility of our mids.

I'm always happy to look at new options early int he season, especially if we can make changes to suit the field conditions.

The Banga changes look very reasonable.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

Like to swing Pat McCartin forward if Kangaroos are small up forward and Swans resting ruckman are not having an impact up forward.

Ins: Ladhams, Sheldrick, J-Mac

Outs: Hickey, McLean, Wicks

I originally was omitting Rowbottom however I think the conditions will suit him.
    I get your logic, and aren't saying you're wrong, but I don't instinctively like the consequence.

It too often leaves opponents able to go two-on-one on Bud, our alternative is a barely-there forward, and we are then regularly down to one tall whenever either Ladhams, Amartey or Bud is having a rest on the bench. We often break down completely when we have no targets up forward.

North are very weak in terms of KPD. Even allowing for the weather, I think we need to trust our system and demand the small forwards like Hayward and co (whoever is selected) do the hard work to capitalise when the ball hits the ground, as well as see it as an opportunity for resting mids like Heeney and Parker to shine.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I get your logic, and aren't saying you're wrong, but I don't instinctively like the consequence.

It too often leaves opponents able to go two-on-one on Bud, our alternative is a barely-there forward, and we are then regularly down to one tall whenever either Ladhams, Amartey or Bud is having a rest on the bench. We often break down completely when we have no targets up forward.

North are very weak in terms of KPD. Even allowing for the weather, I think we need to trust our system and demand the small forwards like Hayward and co (whoever is selected) do the hard work to capitalise when the ball hits the ground, as well as see it as an opportunity for resting mids like Heeney and Parker to shine.
    If the conditions are atrocious maybe Buddy has to be rested.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    With the quality of the opposition (last year's wooden spooners who copped a 108-point belting last week), perhaps this is the week to manage someone, or give a game to someone in the twos?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    This is my guess as well.

The medi-sub should also be considered. Ronke was medi-sub and he played half a game after Hickey was injured. I suspect he'll go to the twos to get a run. If so, who comes in as medi-sub?
    Ronke played in the 2s the day after the 1ns

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I thought Ben Ronke looked lost out there.
    He has certainly ridden the coat tails of that early 7 goal game for too long now.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He has certainly ridden the coat tails of that early 7 goal game for too long now.....
    He's played well in his 2 VFL games this year and did okay in his medi sub appearance in the seniors. He can find the goals. Give him a break and a chance to get back. I think he has something to offer. to our list and deserves another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    He's played well in his 2 VFL games this year and did okay in his medi sub appearance in the seniors. He can find the goals. Give him a break and a chance to get back. I think he has something to offer. to our list and deserves another chance.
    You can never question his endeavour. If he can finish better than Sammy and be more disciplined then he deserves a chance

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

I don’t think the Swans will swing Paddy forward at all this season. They don’t want the nightmare scenario of him going back with the flight for a mark and being cleaned up from behind and getting a concussion.

They made it clear that they wanted him seeing the play before him to provide him with more safety re head knocks.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast