Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 4 vs North Melbourne @ SCG - Pre-Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I don’t think the Swans will swing Paddy forward at all this season. They don’t want the nightmare scenario of him going back with the flight for a mark and being cleaned up from behind and getting a concussion.

They made it clear that they wanted him seeing the play before him to provide him with more safety re head knocks.
    Agreed Maltopia. His health has to be no1 priority and up forward is too risky. Furthermore, he is doing a great job down back and we need him against the monsters. He has helped enormously to solidify us in the backline so there’s no way he would be moved from there!

The partnership with brother Tom is coming along and will be great once they find their rhythm- signs are good.
    Would like to see some new faces against Norf, not because anyone needs a rest, but if not now then when?

I understand the temptation of giving people a rest but it feels too early for me. I can see Buddy being rested next game against West Coast and avoiding the hard ground that did him so much damage a few years ago. Perhaps Kennedy can be used as a sub this game but overall, the minute you take a side easy, the minute you have egg on your face and you en up being 2-2 instead of 3-1. If we bring the required levels of intensity for the next 3 rounds we can realistically be 5-1 and set ourselves up for the season. Take a few games too easy and it creates big headaches.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    This game could be a danger game. North Melbourne will be seeking to improve after their 108-point loss last week. They have played okay against us in recent years and our recent record against them has not been convincing despite winning regularly.

R22 2021 - 14 point win (Docklands)
    R3 2020 - 11 point win (Docklands)
    R9 2019 - 5 point win (Bellerive Oval)
    R17 2018 - 6 point win (Docklands)
    R7 2018 - 2 point loss (SCG)

Although we've won most of our games against them recently, the margins in many of the games have not been large. It is entirely possible that we could find ourselves underestimating the opposition and drifting towards an unexpected loss.

We need to be on our game and treat them with respect. They may be last year's wooden spooners, but they won four and a half games last year. They could easily win six or seven this year, and those wins could include upset wins over finalists. We need to make sure one of those upset wins is not us.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I understand the temptation of giving people a rest but it feels too early for me. I can see Buddy being rested next game against West Coast and avoiding the hard ground that did him so much damage a few years ago. Perhaps Kennedy can be used as a sub this game but overall, the minute you take a side easy, the minute you have egg on your face and you en up being 2-2 instead of 3-1. If we bring the required levels of intensity for the next 3 rounds we can realistically be 5-1 and set ourselves up for the season. Take a few games too easy and it creates big headaches.
    I agree, we shouldn't be resting anyone who doesn't need a rest right now. The medi sub is a good way of resting players and that should be considered. It's a home game, so there's less need for a rest. North Melbourne are better than some people expect, and on a good day they could win in an upset.

I expected West Coast to finish last this year and so far their form has followed this trend. I would be resting Franklin and Kennedy for the West Coast game. Eight hours on a plane and a hard playing surface is going to be hard on aging calf muscles.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    This game could be a danger game. North Melbourne will be seeking to improve after their 108-point loss last week. They have played okay against us in recent years and our recent record against them has not been convincing despite winning regularly.

R22 2021 - 14 point win (Docklands)
    R3 2020 - 11 point win (Docklands)
    R9 2019 - 5 point win (Bellerive Oval)
    R17 2018 - 6 point win (Docklands)
    R7 2018 - 2 point loss (SCG)

Although we've won most of our games against them recently, the margins in many of the games have not been large. It is entirely possible that we could find ourselves underestimating the opposition and drifting towards an unexpected loss.

We need to be on our game and treat them with respect. They may be last year's wooden spooners, but they won four and a half games last year. They could easily win six or seven this year, and those wins could include upset wins over finalists. We need to make sure one of those upset wins is not us.
    We wont take them lightly , we were rubbish last week and we wont cop that

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I don’t think the Swans will swing Paddy forward at all this season. They don’t want the nightmare scenario of him going back with the flight for a mark and being cleaned up from behind and getting a concussion.

They made it clear that they wanted him seeing the play before him to provide him with more safety re head knocks.
    He did run back into a pack last week and went to his knees. His brother was quickly on hand to assess. I guess each bump he negotiates will give him more confidence in what his body can do

I think Paddy is now firmly entrenched as one of our key backs. Players like the Pelican in the Reserves won't get a look in unless Paddy cops an injury.

I agree with the calls of dropping McLean and playing a 2 key fwd forward line of Amartey and Franklin this week due to the weather. McLean is a great pack mark and shot on goal, but isn't great when the ball is on the ground and has the mobility and turning circle of an 8-wheeler. Amartey and Franklin, whilst tall, are mobile and good when the ball is in dispute.

Happily revise my changes to:

IN: Ladhams, McInerney
    OUT: Hickey, McLean

Ideally I'd put Kennedy in the middle this week and have McInerney in defence.

Wicks on notice, with Papley to come back, and Ronke, Taylor and Sheldrick waiting in the wings

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I agree with the calls of dropping McLean and playing a 2 key fwd forward line of Amartey and Franklin this week due to the weather. McLean is a great pack mark and shot on goal, but isn't great when the ball is on the ground and has the mobility and turning circle of an 8-wheeler. Amartey and Franklin, whilst tall, are mobile and good when the ball is in dispute.

Happily revise my changes to:

IN: Ladhams, McInerney
    OUT: Hickey, McLean

Ideally I'd put Kennedy in the middle this week and have McInerney in defence.

Wicks on notice, with Papley to come back, and Ronke, Taylor and Sheldrick waiting in the wings
    I tend to agree with your selections and views, LM.

If we didnt sign Ladhams and Hickey got a 6 week plus injury as he has...........would we have been in deep doo doo for 2022 ?

Or is it to early to say re Ladhams making a difference in the absence of Hickey?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Agreed Maltopia. His health has to be no1 priority and up forward is too risky. Furthermore, he is doing a great job down back and we need him against the monsters. He has helped enormously to solidify us in the backline so there’s no way he would be moved from there!

The partnership with brother Tom is coming along and will be great once they find their rhythm- signs are good.
    Would like to see some new faces against Norf, not because anyone needs a rest, but if not now then when?
    Some may be rested this week but there is also the week after against the Eagles, away. Doubt we'll see Buddy in that one.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    If we didnt sign Ladhams and Hickey got a 6 week plus injury as he has...........would we have been in deep doo doo for 2022 ?

Or is it to early to say re Ladhams making a difference in the absence of Hickey?
    Let's see if he goes as well or better as Sinclair usually does in this situation.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast