Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Pre-Game Thread

Senior Player
    Another danger game this week? Traveling west is always a challenge. Eagles will be buoyed coming off their win. Swans somewhat undermanned and perhaps struggling a little with the right team balance.

Past form little guide as the teams have only played one another at that venue once "way back" in 2018, when Buddy had a great day out. Still, I think they can be competitive but will need a big lift from last weeks effort.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Nic Nat out for a couple of months

THE NIGHTMARE ROLLS ON: Nic Nat out for months
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Nic Nat out for a couple of months

THE NIGHTMARE ROLLS ON: Nic Nat out for months
    It would be mildly amusing if Hickey came back in.

Longmire saying that Franklin is going in for minor finger surgery and will be out for two weeks, maybe three. Could be better, could be worse. I guess that will give McDonald a chance to shine in his home town. His contested marking in the VFL game on Saturday, should see him recalled to the top side.

A bit nervous playing the Eagles at their ground.

If Parker is struggling with a groin injury I would rest him, put Kennedy back in the centre.

Ins : McDonald, Papley (if fit ), Wicks,

Out : Franklin, Parker, Ronke (if Papley plays)

Veteran Site Admin
    AFL site is also reporting that Papley's not yet ready.

Buddy to undergo surgery, star goalsneak Tom Papley to miss again

Regular in the Side
    At least Nic Nat won't be playing which gives Ladhams a chance to impress.

Ins : McDonald, Amartey, Ronke

Out : Franklin,McLean, Kennedy (sub)

McDonald and Amartey have little chance against WC KPDs, but McLean has no chance with the kind game he plays. Frankly, I don't think it makes much difference which 2 of the 2 possible KPF players are picked. We can't bomb the ball in against McGovern and Barrass.

Kennedy need to go. Ronke and Bell did okay and other options to take their place are few.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    What worries me most with an inexperienced forward line is not so much the one-on-one contests (though that may prove an issue) but how much we potentially lose shape. Good key forwards develop synchronicity of how to work collectively to provide leading lanes and space for one another - yet how often have the collective we're likely to have this week done it as a group? Bugger all. It'll require good coaching to give them simple instructions on their role.

But it'll also require a far better ball movement than we've had the last two weeks to even give them half a chance. That stodgy play will leave them sitting ducks. McGovern in particular has been exceptional since round one. If we're chipping it round with a lack of overlap or just bombing it in, we'll lose all shape up forward as the forwards get sucked up the ground in search of an easier mark and kick. The more that happens, the more McGovern and co feel happy to sag back.

It's time to run boys. Pace on the game gives our forwards a chance to lead on and isolate their defenders, opens up f50 entry options between long and short effective kicks, and reduces the decision time and capacity their defenders have time to pluck the ball out of the air.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

McDonald and Amartey have little chance against WC KPDs, but McLean has no chance with the kind game he plays. Frankly, I don't think it makes much difference which 2 of the 2 possible KPF players are picked. We can't bomb the ball in against McGovern and Barrass.

Kennedy need to go. Ronke and Bell did okay and other options to take their place are few.
    I tend to agree with this. Not convinced on Bell but IF Stephens didn't do enough in the 2s then Bell gets another game. The thing about McLean though is he is an accurate kick for goal.

I’m interested to know why several posters are suggesting Kennedy become the medical sub. That is a role we hope we do not have to use. And if so, neither the team nor Kennedy himself benefits from sitting on the bench.

When double Brownlow winner Adam Goodes lost form near the end of his career, and the club suggested he be selected in the old sub role (which almost certainly would have involved at least a quarter of play), Goodes himself requested he be dropped back to the Reserves. He wanted to play full match time to allow himself the chance to regain form. And that’s what happened. After several Reserves matches he returned to the senior team and was a strong contributor for the rest of the season.

I recall Longmire talking of his admiration for Adam’s humility.

The other obvious example is O’Keefe. He didn’t return to the seniors and ended his career at the end of the season. But in the meantime he provided a wealth of leadership and on-field coaching to the mainly junior players in the Reserves. And later Ryan said that while he wished he had been able to finish his career at the senior level, he realised that the leadership & coaching experience he gained in the Reserves had been invaluable for his post-playing career.

And in both cases it opened a Seniors spot to younger players.

Isn’t that a better way to go forward? Unless the coach believes Kennedy is still warming up to be a strong contributor in the Seniors (something we all would love to see). In which case, leave him in the team.

I was at the R1 game last year v Lions. Our tall forwards that day were Reid, McLean and Logan, who was on debut. Up against them were Andrews and Payne, with Starcevich and Lester also playing tall.

From about the second quarter, our rapid ball movement created plenty of opportunities for our talls to lead into space. McLean kept Andrews out of the play, reducing his ability to intercept and cut off our raids. We won convincingly that night.

This is what we need to do. Our ball movement has been much slower this year and disposals less precise. We have also been making many more errors and gifting turn overs. Our forward 50 issues are largely related to the delivery in, not who we have in there. McLean has shown he can take the opposition's key forward out of play and will need to do this to Barrass or McGovern. If we can get our ball movement right, our F50 will improve.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast