Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Pre-Game Thread

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We generally do better with around the ground stoppages. I often see Heeney around those stoppages and he's very good at winning the ball or tackling the opposition. I have to admit that I don't pay enough attention to those stoppage, probably because it happens too fast to notice who's in there, and then it all becomes a bit of chaos.

Our 4th qtr v. NM probably saw the stats heavily move in our favour. Overall for the game we won the stoppage clearances 30-18, a very healthy margin.

Iu2, I would love to see JPK make a comeback, but it's hard to see it happening. But I do think he's more than good enough to be the designated Medi sub. His experience and leadership alone makes him a reliable choice. He wouldn't be able to give us the zip that Ronke gave us when Franklin went out, but JPK would be someone we could put in the midfield and would do well when he's coming in fresh and going against a tried opposition.
    Yep, I singled out Heeney too. It's why I like him playing wing, as he can be around the contest, but his capacity to power up and burst away is his real asset. He's far quicker than people realise, but he is above all a brutal surge runner and it doesn't matter whether it's over 5m or 80m - I'd hate to be the opponent on his tail. That, and the fact he's an excellent kick on both feet with a fraction of room (and, as you say, he makes tackles stick).

As an example of his surge running, check this out (go to about 11.20) - and I mentioned it the other day. When him and LDU, who is seriously quick, are on the wing together, LDU is bang on him, and on the correct side. By the time he takes the mark, Heeney has put 10m on him and LDU is broken. I know he doesn't start in the contest here and is playing essentially as a forward in this play, but it's just phenomenal and he does it from contests and stoppages too.

The Round So Far

I don't necessarily disagree on JPK. What I have noticed, and what lends credence to the medi sub concept, is he seems to be drifting more into the middle later in games. His big body crashing into tired opponents and ripping the ball away, can be lethal. But of course, you can't play medi sub every week.

I guess my main worry is he and the decision on him are in no man's land for now. He is a player of immense calibre and standing, and the way we're playing him does neither him or the team much justice.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Yep, I singled out Heeney too. It's why I like him playing wing, as he can be around the contest, but his capacity to power up and burst away is his real asset. He's far quicker than people realise, but he is above all a brutal surge runner and it doesn't matter whether it's over 5m or 80m - I'd hate to be the opponent on his tail. That, and the fact he's an excellent kick on both feet with a fraction of room (and, as you say, he makes tackles stick).
    Dusty, Bont, Petracca. All great players. But IMO, Heeney is the best player going around the AFL today. Everything he does is elite.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    What worries me most with an inexperienced forward line is not so much the one-on-one contests (though that may prove an issue) but how much we potentially lose shape. Good key forwards develop synchronicity of how to work collectively to provide leading lanes and space for one another - yet how often have the collective we're likely to have this week done it as a group?
    You think Buddy helps our forward line retain shape? That's right up their with the claim made by the commentator about Buddy's aerial marking prowess. Buddy's effectiveness is his ability to do something with the ball whether he is leading up to the carrier, moving left, moving right or even going backwards - he's a 360' threat.
    Becasue of that it must be incredibly difficult to synchronise with Buddy for any key forward, let lone a young one. I'm not sure whether their is a way for our second string key forwards to stay out of Buddy's way - short of crossing the boundary line and enjoying the show from the stands.

Dusty, Bont, Petracca. All great players. But IMO, Heeney is the best player going around the AFL today. Everything he does is elite.
    Maybe, although a little more consistancey of output, say an extra 5 posessions (of the same quality) per game would help remove all doubt.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    You think Buddy helps our forward line retain shape? That's right up their with the claim made by the commentator about Buddy's aerial marking prowess. Buddy's effectiveness is his ability to do something with the ball whether he is leading up to the carrier, moving left, moving right or even going backwards - he's a 360' threat.
    Becasue of that it must be incredibly difficult to synchronise with Buddy for any key forward, let lone a young one. I'm not sure whether their is a way for our second string key forwards to stay out of Buddy's way - short of crossing the boundary line and enjoying the show from the stands.
    Oh, I get all that.

Maybe my post took a long-winded route to get to the main point I was (trying) to make and (maybe not well) made further down. Which is when you have a collective of inexperienced forwards, if the midfield ain't moving the ball well, they get sucked further and further up the ground in search of a kick, and players as smart as McGovern will sag back all night plucking the ball out of the air as it heads near or into the 50.

To be really clear, I'm not wanting to hang any crap on the forwards here. I'm putting the heat on the players up the ground to make it easier for them.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I wonder if JPK would be more value in clearances work (particularly centre bounces) in the first 15 minutes of a quarter, or the last 15 minutes.

In the former role it would be to be aggressive with the opponents and hence tire them; in the latter period, using his big strength to rip the ball from them.

JMac was so effective in the 4th quarter of the match against North, possibly because it was the fourth quarter.

Senior Player
    Agreed he only needs 10 minutes to turn a game and he is going to be the face of the Swans moving forward.
    My long suffering wife who is no football expert often says when she does watch a game and he gets possession that he makes it look easy and that he seems to have a bit more time than the rest.
    I still suggest that those who are inclined to get on him for the Brownlow as he is still paying $21

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Agree . We need to get back to the team we had last yr
    Great Idea. Can you please call Adelaide and get them to send Dawson back. Thanks.

Veterans List
    I still maintain that Heeney is far better value as a forward. His ground ball gets and snaps are elite. He causes chaos to defences.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Great Idea. Can you please call Adelaide and get them to send Dawson back. Thanks.
    Stuff him , get it in Campbels hands more . Best thing about him is that the other team goes to Blakey and just means Campbell and Jmac can do more .

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I still maintain that Heeney is far better value as a forward. His ground ball gets and snaps are elite. He causes chaos to defences.
    I really like his current hybrid role. Very difficult to match up on when he roams between midfield and forward. 20+ possessions and 2 goals per game will do me.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I really like his current hybrid role. Very difficult to match up on when he roams between midfield and forward. 20+ possessions and 2 goals per game will do me.
    +1
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Agreed. He is vital to us up forward. We need two of him. One in the midfield and one up forward! Cloning anyone?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast