Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Rd 5 vs West Coast @ Optus - Pre-Game Thread

Regular in the Side
    Umpires for this Round vs West Coast: Daniel Johanson (6), Craig Fleer (26), Andre Gianfagna (27)
    Both #26 and #27 were umpires for our R3 game vs "West" Bulldogs. Hope that ...

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Watch the replay of us vs WC at Kardinia Park last year. From memory our game plan was to kick it into the forward line where ever McGovern wasn't! Or something like that :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    McGovern out - does that mean we can again now bomb it into the forward 50?
    Our game plan just got easier, because now the whole forward line is where McGovern isn't.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Does "managed" really mean, omitted? He isn't injured and he didn't look tired or jaded to me.
    Perth Stadium has harder turf. A 4-hour flight, pounding on that for a whole game and another 4-hour flight is going to be hell on Kennedy's aging calf muscles.

This is why I'm not really surprised to see Kennedy being managed for this game. If Franklin wasn't injured, he could have been rested as well.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Umpires for this Round vs West Coast: Daniel Johanson (6), Craig Fleer (26), Andre Gianfagna (27)
    Both #26 and #27 were umpires for our R3 game vs "West" Bulldogs. Hope that ...
    Read this and let out an expletive that begins with the sixth letter of the alphabet. Perth crowds always get umpiring biased towards the Eagles and now we have that factor plus a second dose of these cheats!

I’m looking forward to Gulden bouncing back this game. With Bell and Ronke both in the forward line, I can see Errol playing more wing and midfield.

If Reid actually holds a few marks, and his hammy and calf don't put up the white flag, on the big hard ground at Optus... I'll be very surprised.
    Would of much preferred Armatey than a flakey Reid.
    Let's hope this is that occasional game he has, when he clunks some marks and kicks straight...And doesn't limp off.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Regular in the Side
    Hope that Parker can manage his "injuries" and play back to his usual high standard as demonstrated in the first round.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I’ll be watching for two things.

One: they’ve got some good talent back through the midfield, but bringing so many players back in at once can leave a side challenged for run and effort late in quarters and the match. Time for our blokes to put on the spread and effort to burn them up.

Two: they’ve got some good small forwards, and good defensive small forwards. We need to clamp Rioli and Ryan, then ensure Campbell, Lloyd, Blakey and co can escape the clamps they’ll try to apply to our exits.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Perth Stadium has harder turf. A 4-hour flight, pounding on that for a whole game and another 4-hour flight is going to be hell on Kennedy's aging calf muscles.

This is why I'm not really surprised to see Kennedy being managed for this game. If Franklin wasn't injured, he could have been rested as well.
    That makes sense to me, I'm sure Josh was the first opposing player to complain about how firm the deck is at that ground (given he was asked about it in an on-field interview after the first game there).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Suspended by the MRP
    Joey better be back

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Joey better be back
    What is apparent to me, after the first 4 rounds, is that Joey is not best 22 when playing as a HB flanker and wing.

I still think he is one of our best contested ball winners but as pointed out by others, now lacks that explosiveness to defend like he once did when we lose the clearance.

So the big issue is whether the overall package as an inside mid and leader out weighs the loss of speed and defensiveness ability. Does it mean that he is behind a whole host of players inside time? For me, this can only be resolved by playing him in his natural position. He deserves the opportunity to be at his best and stay in the team given everything he's done.

Am I in the minority thinking that Amartey should be in the team ahead of McLean?

While McLean is a good contested mark and accurate set shot, he is very slow and is a liability once the ball is on the ground - he has the turning circle of a semitrailer. Additionally when he pinch hits in the ruck he is only really a tap ruck at best.

Amartey seems to be a lot more mobile as a forward, and while he mightn't take as many pack marks, he's a lot better when the ball is at ground level and seems to have more of an impact in general play. Also I think his work in the ruck is very good. He plays like a midfielder and lays a lot of tackles and wins possession when in the middle. I think having a mobile forward would compliment our fast team dynamic a lot more than McLean.

Reid being in the team ahead of Amartey is another debate, but I thought as McLean and Amartey seem to be fighting for the same forward/ruck spot I wanted to see what people thought on those two (I do think you could easily run a forward line with both McLean and Amartey in it)
    Last edited by longmile; 15th April 2022 at 03:18 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast